Is my Sub on it's last leg?????

I really need to upgrade my sub, and I've been shopping around for awhile (going to audition a Sunfire EQ next week) But either way, I'm trying to put off getting a new sub for awhile b/c I've spent my fair share of cash in the last couple months, and I'm going on vacation etc. etc....

here's the problem.....

My subwoofer has decided to "Hum" it's easy to notice, and it does it when it's on, even if not connected to the receiver, so it's an amp issue....

I tore it appart, and looked, and no wires were melted etc. that would cause a bad ground......

How long can I expect my sub to continue to function with the amp on the way out????? It still works, but hums.... so as long as I'm watching or listening to something I can't hear it, but I think it's gonna die!!!!!

Any fixes also, as I was planning on using this in the game-room when I upgrade my main system.....

thanks a lot!

could be something like a grounding issue too...
    if not it means that there is a bad winding in the transformer or so. but first check everything that has to do with the ground.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

It's a two-prong, and I plugged it into it's own surge protector to check........ is there anything beyond that I can try????

I can't wait to get rid of this piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Looking forward a little. If you have a space problem for your new sub then the Sunfire subs are very good if not a little on the pricey side.

If space is not a problem then I would recommend you look at conventional subs (big box or cylindrical subs). Even Bob Carver cannot change the laws of physics. The tiny cube type subs have bigtime magnets and wattage by neccessity due to the inherent problems with designing a sub in such a small enclosure that comes anywhere near the performance of a high performance conventional sub.

I think you'll find that for the same money as the Sunfire you can buy a superior sub with much better bass extention and lower distortion. You can also get a very fine sub for even half the list price of the some of the Sunfire EQ's.

RR6

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    Did you disconnect the input cable to see if it changed the hum?

Have you added a new appliance to the AC house circuit?

The hum usually inidcates a ground loop somewhere... it could operate for a quite a while like this and not get worse. I would wait and save money...
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Quote Originally Posted by hydroman
    Did you disconnect the input cable to see if it changed the hum?

Have you added a new appliance to the AC house circuit?

The hum usually inidcates a ground loop somewhere... it could operate for a quite a while like this and not get worse. I would wait and save money...

I have disconnected EVERYTHING, plugged the sub into a completely different outlet/surge protector, and it still hums.... so it's in the amp of the sub itself.

I would like to wait and save money, but I don't want it to completely die when I could add it to the secondary system in my basement. I've never ordered anything from Amazon, but these two look like good deals.......

http://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-AB...4210761&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-DY...4210761&sr=1-7

Thoughts???????

Suspended
    As already suggested, first disconnect the input to determine if the problem is internal or the input. If internal, it's also possible you have a capacitor going bad in the power supply. These are usually larger elecrtolytic (can type) capacitors. You may also look at the cap to see if there's a bubble or if it's leaking. If you find a bad one, look at the value and voltage rating on the side (example: 10uF 35v) and replace. I've seen where one leg of a cap has come loose because of the vibration. I quick touch with a soldering iron may fix it. Good luck.

Thread Information