• 01-26-2006, 03:50 PM
    bbrunswick
    Are The Paradigm Studio 60 v3 The Best $1500 Spoeakers?
    I spent a couple of hours today listening to the Paradigm Studio 60 v3 speakers at a local dealer. This is the first audition of speakers in the $1500 range. I was very impressed. I ask my more seasoned friends if these are the best in class or are there other speakers I should consider. My musical tastes are all over the map.
  • 01-26-2006, 03:53 PM
    kexodusc
    No <br><br>
  • 01-26-2006, 04:17 PM
    drseid
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bbrunswick
    I spent a couple of hours today listening to the Paradigm Studio 60 v3 speakers at a local dealer. This is the first audition of speakers in the $1500 range. I was very impressed. I ask my more seasoned friends if these are the best in class or are there other speakers I should consider. My musical tastes are all over the map.

    While speaker taste is very subjective (and as such you may prefer the Paradigms), to my ears the answer is "no." A small sampling of speakers I recommend for audition in that price range +/- are the following (some are available only Internet direct though like Tyler, Ellis and ACI-- but all of them offer 20-30 day risk-free home trials)...

    Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitors ($1600/pr.)
    Ellis Audio 1801B ($1600/pr.)
    ACI Sapphire XL ($1500/pr.)
    Spendor S3/5 ($1300/pr.)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 ($995/pr.)
    Linn Katan ($800/pr.)
    Tyler Freedom F-2 ($775/pr.)

    ---Dave
  • 01-26-2006, 05:48 PM
    paul_pci
    If I was going to spend $1500 for two speakers I'd probably buy Dynaudio's Audienced 52 or 52se.
  • 01-26-2006, 07:22 PM
    bbrunswick
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc
    No <br><br>

    I take from your answer that there are no other speakers I should consider, Thanks for the advice.
  • 01-26-2006, 08:35 PM
    SlumpBuster
    The Studio 60 is a fine speaker and runs towards my tastes. (i.e. big towers that do well on lots types of music without the pretense that I'm ever really going to be listening to any jazz or classical.)

    The speakers recommended above are substantially different then the Studio 60. They are almost all small monitors. I see that you are currently running 901's on what I take is vintage Hafler. If you like your Bose, I think you'll really enjoy the Studio 60. Is it the best for 1500? Depends on if you want a two way bookshelf or a large 2 1/2 way tower that will melt your face. But it is very good, and I think right at the drop off point for diminishing returns. And for the sake of disclosure, I do have Paradigm speakers.
  • 01-26-2006, 09:47 PM
    topspeed
    What's better; blondes, brunettes, or redheads?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bbrunswick
    I spent a couple of hours today listening to the Paradigm Studio 60 v3 speakers at a local dealer. This is the first audition of speakers in the $1500 range. I was very impressed. I ask my more seasoned friends if these are the best in class or are there other speakers I should consider. My musical tastes are all over the map.

    There is no "best." Only what is best to you. If, after auditioning a ton of speakers, you still feel the Paradigm's rock your world, who are we to disagree?

    This thread is a good place to start as far as member recommendations for that price range. When you're auditioning, make sure you listen to not only different manufacturers, but also different types of speakers. Many people feel the Maggie 1.6qr to be the best buy in that price class, while others simply don't like planars due to lack of dynamics, rolled off top ends, beaming, or whatever. Expose yourself to everything you can find and enjoy the ride.

    Hope this helps.
  • 01-27-2006, 02:15 AM
    drseid
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    The Studio 60 is a fine speaker and runs towards my tastes. (i.e. big towers that do well on lots types of music without the pretense that I'm ever really going to be listening to any jazz or classical.)

    The speakers recommended above are substantially different then the Studio 60. They are almost all small monitors. I see that you are currently running 901's on what I take is vintage Hafler. If you like your Bose, I think you'll really enjoy the Studio 60. Is it the best for 1500? Depends on if you want a two way bookshelf or a large 2 1/2 way tower that will melt your face. But it is very good, and I think right at the drop off point for diminishing returns. And for the sake of disclosure, I do have Paradigm speakers.

    Yes, I (unintentionally) showed my bias for mini-monitors in the under $2000 price range. I have nothing against floorstanders (I use a pair myself as my mains), but I just have not had many good experiences with them in that price range. Your experience (and others) may differ of course.

    Regards,

    ---Dave
  • 01-27-2006, 01:33 PM
    Pat D
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bbrunswick
    I spent a couple of hours today listening to the Paradigm Studio 60 v3 speakers at a local dealer. This is the first audition of speakers in the $1500 range. I was very impressed. I ask my more seasoned friends if these are the best in class or are there other speakers I should consider. My musical tastes are all over the map.

    It really depends on what you like. I think kexodusc's answer is more a comment on your question than anything else: there isn't any 'best' for everyone. I haven't heard the Studio 60, v. 3, but I have heard the 40 and 100, which have a lot going for them but are not quite my cup of tea. Kalman Rubinson certainly liked them (oh, I know, he's a reviewer, but I think reviewers' opinions are as good as anyone else's, and I give them their say):

    http://stereophile.com/floorloudspea...igm/index.html

    You evidently like them, too. They have a lot going for them but I chose something else. They are not quite my cup of tea. They image very well and have a wide even dispersion, but they are somewhat too forward for me.

    The Energy C Series are quite good. I haven't listened to very many speakers in your price range but as a PSB owner, I think their Image Series would be good candidates for audition. You have also had some other good suggestions.
  • 01-27-2006, 02:17 PM
    SlumpBuster
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by drseid
    Yes, I (unintentionally) showed my bias for mini-monitors in the under $2000 price range. I have nothing against floorstanders (I use a pair myself as my mains), but I just have not had many good experiences with them in that price range. Your experience (and others) may differ of course.

    Regards,

    ---Dave

    Hey, no need to explain yourself to me ;) I never even heard of a couple of those manufactures. :) In fact, your right, particularly in this price range. Floorstanders in this range will have problems, but his use of the 901's suggest he may like to rock out. It can be tough in a lot of rooms to have a proper rock out with a 5 1/2" two way. But, as I write this I can think of some right proper rock outs I've had with small monitors in small rooms.