Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    HT Man

Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 vs Axiom M80s.

Hi Guys,
    I just had the oppurtunity to listen to Paradigm Studio 100s and was quite impressed. I just wanted to know if anyone had the chance to listen to these and Axiom M80s. If yes, how do they compare with each other. If Axiom sounds as good as the Paradigms or little better, I would prefer to go for them, as there is a good difference in the dollar amount. I would really appreciate your insights.
    Regards,
    R

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    rajx7: I've not heard the M80's, but, a year ago I took the plunge on some Axiom M3Ti's. If you read the Axiom boards on their website, Axiom owners will all tell you how great they sound, because they're an internet-direct company, they offer tremendous savings, and that the M3Ti's will trounce the Studio 20's.

I own the Studio 20's. It's not even close. I'd like to personally slap every moron on that Axiom forum that makes such rediculous statements.

Now having said that, I have some impressions about the M3Ti's, which should sound somewhat similar to the M80's. A year ago or so I posted a rather unflattering review of the M3Ti's that I wish I could take back. At first I absolutely hated them. They sounded to me much worse than some older, cheap Paradigm Titans they replaced that I had for my dining room. Decent bass, but a bloated, and rather annoying sound in the midrange. After getting very bored one day, I decided to take the M3Ti's downstairs to my main system. I was floored at how my opinion changed.
    I find the Axiom's have a very wide and deep soundstage, but a somewhat less focused imaging than say, the Studio 20's. They do sound very good for the money, but unlike most other speakers I own, they require (to me at least) absolutely no toe-in to sound good. At moderate volumes, in a medium or small room the M3Ti's would be very good.
    I'd recommend them as a decent value, probably somewhere around the same level of performance as Paradigm's Mini-Monitors (though maybe not quite), but without the slightly bright sound Paradigm's known for. Though the Mini Monitors have a lower, and more authoritative bass, and would sound a bit better than the M3Ti's without a subwoofer. Considering the M3Ti's are about $125 less than the Mini Monitors (before shipping costs), they are a good value, especially if someone was putting together a home theater with a subwoofer.
    I would expect the same scale of value from the M80's.
    Just don't believe everything you read from some of the other Axiom owners...they don't sound anywhere near as good as my Studio 20's, and I'm very reluctant to believe the M80's would rival the Studio 100's.

HT Man
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    rajx7: I've not heard the M80's, but, a year ago I took the plunge on some Axiom M3Ti's. If you read the Axiom boards on their website, Axiom owners will all tell you how great they sound, because they're an internet-direct company, they offer tremendous savings, and that the M3Ti's will trounce the Studio 20's.

I own the Studio 20's. It's not even close. I'd like to personally slap every moron on that Axiom forum that makes such rediculous statements.

Now having said that, I have some impressions about the M3Ti's, which should sound somewhat similar to the M80's. A year ago or so I posted a rather unflattering review of the M3Ti's that I wish I could take back. At first I absolutely hated them. They sounded to me much worse than some older, cheap Paradigm Titans they replaced that I had for my dining room. Decent bass, but a bloated, and rather annoying sound in the midrange. After getting very bored one day, I decided to take the M3Ti's downstairs to my main system. I was floored at how my opinion changed.
    I find the Axiom's have a very wide and deep soundstage, but a somewhat less focused imaging than say, the Studio 20's. They do sound very good for the money, but unlike most other speakers I own, they require (to me at least) absolutely no toe-in to sound good. At moderate volumes, in a medium or small room the M3Ti's would be very good.
    I'd recommend them as a decent value, probably somewhere around the same level of performance as Paradigm's Mini-Monitors (though maybe not quite), but without the slightly bright sound Paradigm's known for. Though the Mini Monitors have a lower, and more authoritative bass, and would sound a bit better than the M3Ti's without a subwoofer. Considering the M3Ti's are about $125 less than the Mini Monitors (before shipping costs), they are a good value, especially if someone was putting together a home theater with a subwoofer.
    I would expect the same scale of value from the M80's.
    Just don't believe everything you read from some of the other Axiom owners...they don't sound anywhere near as good as my Studio 20's, and I'm very reluctant to believe the M80's would rival the Studio 100's.
    Thanks kexodusc. Really appreciate your opinion. But again, of all the Axiom models M80s have the most acclaim and have read great reviews about it. They cost nearly $1000/pr less than Paradigm Studio 100s. So was wondering Paradigms were $1000/pr more woth sound over Axioms. or not.

Audio Enthusiast
    Are both Paradigm and Axiom Canadian speakers ? Same type like PSB ?

HT Man
    Quote Originally Posted by SAPSEC
    Are both Paradigm and Axiom Canadian speakers ? Same type like PSB ?
    Yes they both are Canadian as far as I know. Why?

Forum Regular

I will take the Paradigm over the Axiom....

I will go with the Studio 100 V3. The studio serie is one of the best value-price has the market now. Considering that speakers are one of the most important part of the chain, I will put all the money I can on them. Personally, I don't like the Axion's sound. On the other hand, I find Paradigm Studio Serie a real contender for any speaker in his price range.
    Jorge.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rajx7
    Hi Guys,
    I just had the oppurtunity to listen to Paradigm Studio 100s and was quite impressed. I just wanted to know if anyone had the chance to listen to these and Axiom M80s. If yes, how do they compare with each other. If Axiom sounds as good as the Paradigms or little better, I would prefer to go for them, as there is a good difference in the dollar amount. I would really appreciate your insights.
    Regards,
    R
    Firstly, the reviews you may as well chuck out right now.

Secondly, I would not buy the Axiom's unless i knew I could return them full refund (including all shipping charges) - I'm not a huge fan of buying a speaker unless I can hear it first (including kits unless they're dirt cheap so it's no big deal if it sucks)

Thirdly for $2700.00Cdn I would explore a lot of the competition and of different cabinet design or speakers of panel design(stats and planars) etc.

On a personal note (And this is what I would do only so chuck it out if you wish) if number 2 does allow for free return I would definitely TRY it simply because I think the 100V3 is an atrocious bang for buck speaker as I have heard for $2700.00Cdn(It would be overpriced at $1500.00Cdn IMO). It's a worse speaker than the V2 its build Quality looks WORSE it sounds worse IMO, it has less bass than the V2 less impact, its treble is less bright but then it's also boring and the whole thing sounds like it lacks cohesion(and even sounds hollow with a funnel effect. If you must have Paradigm then get the 100V2 or the 40V2 and a sub. OR preferably a PMC Transmission line or something anything from Dynaudio. I prefer high sensitive designs as they "TEND" not to make everything sound constipated and narrow.

As a Canadian I'm least proud of the speakers that come from our country - I'm happy they sell though and puts us on the map and helps the economy - but generally I feel we make some of the worst speakers on the market for sound quality for music - home theater maybe not too bad as boom and sizzle is popular these days probably because of the boom and sizzle recordings. Horrible Resolution lots of detail(noise in the signal).

This above paragraph is an opinion based off my auditions over the years ONLY - they are totally subjective and lots of people totally disagree with me on this - it is not meant to be argumentative in any way shape or form --- as a note I am seriously in the minority when it comes to the sound and value offerred by many of these speakers. (There are some exceptions here as well as I noted a couple of them). Speaker evaluation is subjective - not everyone appreciates,values or even hears the exact same things in the exact same way. (and some speakers are suited to certain genres of music as well).

I would audition speakers with wildly different cabinet shapes, design approaches, tweeter and woofer materials, etc --- preferably in the same room with the same equipment --- this is hard as most dealers don't have the set-ups generally to accomodate this like, for the most part, my dealer offers. So I have some advantage in not needing to rely on any print reviews to steer me because the sound is all that needs to be the indicator.

I gots to defend the birthplace of me father...

Quote Originally Posted by RGA

As a Canadian I'm least proud of the speakers that come from our country - I'm happy they sell though and puts us on the map and helps the economy - but generally I feel we make some of the worst speakers on the market for sound quality for music - home theater maybe not too bad as boom and sizzle is popular these days probably because of the boom and sizzle recordings. Horrible Resolution lots of detail(noise in the signal).
    Yikes, that's an absolutely bold statement to make. Bang for the buck seems to be something Canadian speaker manufactures have in spades. I would argue completely the opposite of your assessment, RGA...especially the boom and sizzle stereotype (except for maybe a few large models). I will, however agree with you, that once you reach, say, the $2000 price level, Canadian speakers tend to lose their edge compared to other offerings. The only exception being Focus Audio, who IMO are the best kept secret in the audio world. The FS line are probably the best speakers I've heard between $3000-$8000 USD. Absolutely incredible (though they rely heavily on European drivers...a good thing IMO)

RGA, you'd probably actually like the Axiom sound...look around your area, Canadian stores still carry them in stock, despite Axiom's claim to the contrary. A very different sound than PSB, Paradigm, Energy, etc...After a year of almost zero use, I'm really starting to dig my M3Ti's...They have a very accurate bass and midrange (though the bass isn't very extended, these are pretty small), and a somewhat warm sound in the highs. These speakers sound much different than your typical slim line design...I'm tempted to almost believe the Axiom propaganda on their trapezoidal cabinet designs. Difficult to place though...

Firstly, the reviews you may as well chuck out right now.
    Including yours.RGA you are a AN shill...Anything posted by you should be taken with a large grain of salt..

Forum Regular
    I own the M80's and while i really enjoy them and have not had a single bit of regret in buying them, but there are obviosly better speakers out there. I have not heard the paradigms but I remember them being very nice speakers. V2 perhaps is what im thinking of. The paradigms use real wood venner and weight about 40 lbs more per pair than the Axioms. Although from what i have seen pics of them and read they might be visually, nicer speakers. I have not heard them so the extra grand in cost might not be worth it.

Hearing the M80's is something i definetly reccomend you do. There are many axiom owners across the country that will open their house to you to come audition the speakers. A list of these folks can be found here: http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/sho...b=5&o=0&fpart=

From what i have read the M80's and 100's sound very similar so since 1000 dollars is alot of money i would go for the axioms and hope for the best. I have not heard of anyone who was not pleased with their purchase. There have been some who were dissapointed with some of the bookshelf models. Like the guy above maybe but It seems their floorstanders are much better. Although i doubt they sell nearly as many M80 as they do M3's But again, i suggest you try and hear the axioms. There could be someone very close to you with either the 60's or 80's who would have you over for a listen.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 46minaudio
    Including yours.RGA you are a AN shill...Anything posted by you should be taken with a large grain of salt..
    As Jack Nicholson said "You can't handle the truth."

As Jack Nicholson said "You can't handle the truth."
    No RGA you cant tell it...

HT Man
    All you guys, thanks a lot for all your insights and suggestions. Just please do not throw stuff at each other just because you do not agree with each other. I know most of the comments posted here are subjective. There are millions of great speakers out there and so many odds against us to make the right decision to chose the right speakers. The reason could be budget and defnitely very low chances of hearing all the great speakers out there , thus we come out here to read each others opinions on the brands we never get to hear. If I could hear to all the brands I know are good, hell I would have never posted this question and I would have decided for myself. I just hope that by reading your experiences and different opinions I just hope it will help me to make the right decision.

Since the "bang for buck" was used in this discussion, I wanted to know, what you think of Athena AS-F2s. I know they do not cost as much as Axiom M80 and no way close to Paradigm 100s still have heard that they sound better than some of $2000 speaker/pr. Is it true?. By the way have Paradigm stopped selling Studio 100 v2 after v3s was released?
    Regards,
    R

Forum Regular
    rajx7 - part of what RGA said is true:

" I would audition speakers with wildly different cabinet shapes, design approaches, tweeter and woofer materials, etc --- preferably in the same room with the same equipment"

However, even this statement is total BS if it is NOT YOUR ROOM and NOT YOUR EQUIPMENT!!! The only way you can truly judge a speaker is how it sounds with your setup. Now, maybe RGA is sleeping with his dealer, I don't know, but most high end B&M shops will charge you a 10% to 20% restocking fee, which can be much more than shipping charges. (RGA - I'm not accusing you of anything - but the fact is every B&M store I was in that was 'high-end' will not allow me to take a speaker home for an audition, I can buy it and return it for said re-stocking charge though - even Future Shop and Best Buy give a 30 day return - no questions asked!).

So, I would try Axiom, and if you don't like it, you can return them. I took a big gamble (for me) recently by ordering Ascends - 340's across the front and CBM 170's for the side surrounds. I've had them for 5 days now, and these puppies are fantastic. And for the set (all 5) plus wall mounts and stands, I still saved over $1000 cdn vs. what the Paradigms V.3 100's would have cost me (what I as originally looking at).

People are not lying when they talk about these speakers (Ascends, Rockets, Axioms, etc.). If they were bad speakers, we'd know it by now.

So, try the Axioms, and if they do it for you, great. Even if the 'digm's are just slightly better, you probably wouldn't notice it. Just be wary that with a 4 ohm load those Axioms will be harder to drive than the 'digm's.

RGA - I do credit you for at least saying it was your opinion. However, many people love the Canadian sound - my guess is you like coloured speakers, nothing wrong with that, your ears! Just be a bit more careful with how you word things - you remind me of the loud mouth drunk looking for a fight in a bar - and you know what happens to those guys, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rajx7
    Since the "bang for buck" was used in this discussion, I wanted to know, what you think of Athena AS-F2s. I know they do not cost as much as Axiom M80 and no way close to Paradigm 100s still have heard that they sound better than some of $2000 speaker/pr. Is it true?. By the way have Paradigm stopped selling Studio 100 v2 after v3s was released?
    Regards,
    R
    You're really the only arbiter of whether or not the Athenas sound anything like pricier speakers. And when you mention pricey speakers, you have to consider which ones you're comparing the Athenas to. Plenty of $2k speakers out there that don't sound anything like one another, so IMO that's not really a valid generalization.

Paradigm announced the Studio v.2 series around June 2003, and they stopped production on the v.2 series right around the same time. Whenever Paradigm transitions over to a new series, they usually don't waste any time between announcing a new series and discontinuing the old one. They had a price reduction to clear out whatever v.2 stock remained in their distribution warehouses, and almost everything was gone within a month of the announcement. The v.3 models started arriving at some dealers in July last year, so I doubt that you'll find any new in-box v.2 models. If you really want the v.2 models, check with a local dealer. Most Paradigm dealers I'm aware of have trade-in offers, so that means you might find some traded in units lying around their showrooms. You also might find some demo units available.

HT Man

Enter Von Schweikerts ...

Hey All,
    Isn't it a wonder that "keeping life simple" concept can be so difficult. I had thought I had finally short listed to Paradigms and Axioms and was hoping to hear some positive inclination towards one of them and would have helped in my decision. But after reading all the contradictions my simple plan turned into complication.Won't it be great if all the opposite parties agreed on one brand. That would be like winning a lottery. Paradgim Studio 100 are around $2500/pr and so are Von Schweikerts VR-2 pair so I thought of pitching in Vons in the competition with other 2. I have heard some great things about it . So any of you guys have anything good to say about these babies especially the people against Paradigms.

I had not mentioned earlier but I have an unfinished basement, which I plan to finish in next few months. As you would have guessed, one of the rooms is reserved for my home theater and thus my research. I was hoping to settle on one speaker set before I had finished the basement. So what do you guys think of Von Von Schweikerts VR-2 for fronts, LCR 15 for center and TS 150 for surrounds. Does this package have a nice bang.
    Help me make my decision guys.
    Still thanks for your honest opinions, though.
    R

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch
    rajx7 - part of what RGA said is true:

" I would audition speakers with wildly different cabinet shapes, design approaches, tweeter and woofer materials, etc --- preferably in the same room with the same equipment"

However, even this statement is total BS if it is NOT YOUR ROOM and NOT YOUR EQUIPMENT!!! The only way you can truly judge a speaker is how it sounds with your setup. Now, maybe RGA is sleeping with his dealer, I don't know, but most high end B&M shops will charge you a 10% to 20% restocking fee, which can be much more than shipping charges. (RGA - I'm not accusing you of anything - but the fact is every B&M store I was in that was 'high-end' will not allow me to take a speaker home for an audition, I can buy it and return it for said re-stocking charge though - even Future Shop and Best Buy give a 30 day return - no questions asked!).

So, I would try Axiom, and if you don't like it, you can return them. I took a big gamble (for me) recently by ordering Ascends - 340's across the front and CBM 170's for the side surrounds. I've had them for 5 days now, and these puppies are fantastic. And for the set (all 5) plus wall mounts and stands, I still saved over $1000 cdn vs. what the Paradigms V.3 100's would have cost me (what I as originally looking at).

People are not lying when they talk about these speakers (Ascends, Rockets, Axioms, etc.). If they were bad speakers, we'd know it by now.

So, try the Axioms, and if they do it for you, great. Even if the 'digm's are just slightly better, you probably wouldn't notice it. Just be wary that with a 4 ohm load those Axioms will be harder to drive than the 'digm's.

RGA - I do credit you for at least saying it was your opinion. However, many people love the Canadian sound - my guess is you like coloured speakers, nothing wrong with that, your ears! Just be a bit more careful with how you word things - you remind me of the loud mouth drunk looking for a fight in a bar - and you know what happens to those guys, right?
    Ahh but you imply that what I like is innacurate and coloured - in fact they can be coloured because as you note the room is a function of the speakers - then again music also has colour and it had better be produced. For instance the editor at Hi-fi Choice magazine noted that in the review room the Audio Note speaker exhibited some colouration here and there they awarded it top marks for sound quality but cetianly they pointed out some reservations about the speaker.

They also awarded lots of other speakers great marks etc(that doesn't mean anything because if they dump on speakers TRUTHFULLY then those speaker or amp makers etc will no longer or ever send them products for review - the magazine doesn't get financing and goes out of business and the stereo magazine industry is a wasteland of defunct companies). Still the editor chose for his own home the Audio Note speakers and the 1992 version(despite the "colour") there is more to the game than that - and properly set-up won;t have that problem anyway since the review room has no corner listening accomodation) - not bad when they badly set-up the speaker it still won their best buy tag - now try badly positioning the B&W 705 or Paradigm and see if it wins anything - say connect them to the walls in corners and see what it sounds like - hmm coloured boomy and horrible when badly set-up).

It's one thing to reivew a speaker for the general public and it's one thing to SELL speakers to the general public. It's another thing to listen to thousands and thousands of products and actually keep one. Considering the miniscule size of Audio Note you might be surprised at just who owns them. Reviewers at Hifi+, Stereophile, Hi-fi Choice, enjoythemusic,com, stereotimes, and that's just the English branded rags. So yes listenable long term versus listenable for a review. My dealer sells lots of speakers for over 30 years - go to each one of the salespeople's homes and see what they own.

The issue of room is bogus - it does not matter **** all which room - the better speaker will sound better in any room. I know that because I listened to the AN's in four different rooms against the others in various sizes - didn't matter and despite the problems the E/LX faced in the Hi-fi Review by being in just about the worst possible room you could set the speaker up in it STILL beat the other speakers which for them would be ideal.

An basically requires corners to work best and close-ish to wall position - if the room is relatively normal and size appropriate it will work. Of course a better room will help but if the room is the cop out run run from the speaker maker.

And every dealer i know will let you take anything you want home - you give them a credit card security deposit - some just gave it to me to try. Actually this makes my whole room argument totally moot - take it home if you want try it out and make sure you have several others to switch in and out - either way you still have the problem(which is also largely bogus but still) of acoustic memory. It's funny I can remember what an oboe sounds like versus a cello even if I don't hear either one for 4 years acoustic memory bahh Humbug.

I am a huge supporter of the idea of trying an Axiom at home - they've lasted several years and are popular - they look like they offer just as good as similar designs for less money - people who have similar ears to me have said that they are basically cheaper better Paradigms - If that's and your on a budget it's worth the shipping charge - GAS nowadays will probably cost that much especially if the dealer is 50miles away.

And quite frankly this stuff isn't the end of the world - so who gives a flying leap if I don't like a particular speaker - throw it out if you don't like the opinion - but what the hell is the point of asking for one - There's bigger problems in life than buying sound reproduction boxes and worrying oif RGA doesn't approve - who the hell cares what I think - I have a viewpoint which isn't popular most of the time --- most people write me off as either a nutbar, a shill(man I wish I could at least get something out of this like the watches stereophile reviewers get for shilling Musical Fidelity), a fan-boy, a lover of innacurate distorted sound?? Frankly, it doesn't matter --- I did my comparisons head to head and I'm happy with the results and then I wanted to dispell a few things that I had been told over the last decade about certain designs like SET, and non slim boxed speakers. IMO "they"(industry companies reviewers and so called sonic experts) lied to me and I'd like to attempt to turn the tide in some small way.

It's just a hobby
    For instance the editor at Hi-fi Choice magazine noted that in the review room the Audio Note speaker exhibited some colouration here and there they awarded it top marks for sound quality but certainly they pointed out some reservations about the speaker.
    Funny I know, but the B&W 700 series and Audio Note Speakers, E/LX IIRC, were awarded about the same marks by Hifi Choice The 703 was actually awarded an Editor's Choice award while the E/LX ( I think), had to content it self with a best buy award, does it really mean much in the scheme of things, I do not think so, though it sort of knocks your assessment of both speakers for six .

RGA, I'm calling BS on you again :)

The issue of room is bogus - it does not matter **** all which room - the better speaker will sound better in any room. I know that because I listened to the AN's in four different rooms against the others in various sizes - didn't matter and despite the problems the E/LX faced in the Hi-fi Review by being in just about the worst possible room you could set the speaker up in it STILL beat the other speakers which for them would be ideal.
    RGA,buddy...give your head a shake. Let me give you a perfect example of how room interactions can and do matter BIG TIME. I recently had an opportunity to spend a day with some Focus Audio speakers. Two different setups. The FS-888's were in the room with the B&W Nautilus 800's. Let me say that I loved both speakers, though I'm not a fan of B&W's price tag. The room was rectangular, I'm guessing 12 ft by 22 or so.
    In position A, the 4 speakers were lined up along the narrow wall (12 feet), in position B along the wide wall, which was probably about 20 feet or so. You probably know where I'm going with this.

The Focus Audio FS-888's, when played along the wide wall, me sitting about 8 feet back, were absolutely incredible, and presented a much wider soundstage with more depth, realizm, and fantastic imaging, simply outperforming the B&W Naut 800's in every aspect IMO. These are among my favorite speakers. However, along the narrow wall, the FS-888's only had about 2 feet or so to breath on either side of the speaker, and it became immediately obvious that the extremely wide soundstage was being choked off. The B&W's, while still not sounding as pleasing to me in terms of the way it handled voices compared to the FS-888, managed to present a smaller soundstage along the smaller wall, and still maintaint the accuracy of imaging individual instruments...But yes, the B&W sounded better along the wide wall too.

This is a real phenomenon, that was instantly recognized by myself and the salesperson. In fact, they had just rearranged the room along the shortwall and when he started listening, he knew right away something was wrong when he popped in his demo CD and didn't get the results he was expecting to show me.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    Funny I know, but the B&W 700 series and Audio Note Speakers, E/LX IIRC, were awarded about the same marks by Hifi Choice The 703 was actually awarded an Editor's Choice award while the E/LX ( I think), had to content it self with a best buy award, does it really mean much in the scheme of things, I do not think so, though it sort of knocks your assessment of both speakers for six .
    Yes and I noticed that as well - but the reviewer kept the one he liked best - and that one was the Audio Note - and that is more important to me than recommending the B&W who's advertising keeps the magazine in business - The editor's choie is the choice of who gave them the most money - hell the guys who DESIGNED the freaking 700 series will tell you in person that the AN;s are better - and you being in Europe should take Peter up on the offer to have you hear it from the horse's mouth - since the 700 series is woefully flawed in dsesign with atrocious top of the midwoofer passband distortion due to their kevlar drivers as was pointed out graphically with full measurements of the kevlar driver problems - truth hurts - go read John Ashman's link again.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    RGA,buddy...give your head a shake. Let me give you a perfect example of how room interactions can and do matter BIG TIME. I recently had an opportunity to spend a day with some Focus Audio speakers. Two different setups. The FS-888's were in the room with the B&W Nautilus 800's. Let me say that I loved both speakers, though I'm not a fan of B&W's price tag. The room was rectangular, I'm guessing 12 ft by 22 or so.
    In position A, the 4 speakers were lined up along the narrow wall (12 feet), in position B along the wide wall, which was probably about 20 feet or so. You probably know where I'm going with this.

The Focus Audio FS-888's, when played along the wide wall, me sitting about 8 feet back, were absolutely incredible, and presented a much wider soundstage with more depth, realizm, and fantastic imaging, simply outperforming the B&W Naut 800's in every aspect IMO. These are among my favorite speakers. However, along the narrow wall, the FS-888's only had about 2 feet or so to breath on either side of the speaker, and it became immediately obvious that the extremely wide soundstage was being choked off. The B&W's, while still not sounding as pleasing to me in terms of the way it handled voices compared to the FS-888, managed to present a smaller soundstage along the smaller wall, and still maintaint the accuracy of imaging individual instruments...But yes, the B&W sounded better along the wide wall too.

This is a real phenomenon, that was instantly recognized by myself and the salesperson. In fact, they had just rearranged the room along the shortwall and when he started listening, he knew right away something was wrong when he popped in his demo CD and didn't get the results he was expecting to show me.
    But I already said that you need a room well suited for the speaker - if these companies had any clue they would tell you that in the instruction manual - my Wharfedales and AN's say it and so did my B&W's. SOme will provide a square foot effective rating, how far apart minimum and maximum they should be from one another 10 feet maximum for my Wharfedales which also happens to be the ideal, postion X feet from side and real walls geenrally within a range etc. If you follow their directions you SHOULD be close to the ideal spot - if the room has the distances and room size you SHOULD have zero problem getting them to sound their best in that room.

Of course the room is important for getting the best results - but the better speaker will sound better IT SHOULD in any room provided the room meets the criteria of the speaker maker. If I am listening in a typical 14X18 room at my dealer with a 12 foot ceiling and the speakers can handle that sized room - well mate the speaker is deisgned to operate in typical homes or IT SHOULD BE and that's a typical room.

It's always a cop out - it sounds bad because of the room? BS!. Gee every room then must be bad - how many rooms and equipment do i need to try the 705 in for them to sound good - i'm up to four now and they've actually been consistant in them - consistantly not good but consistant...and this is the speaker that won European Loudspeaker of the year.

Hmmm

But I already said that you need a room well suited for the speaker....

The issue of room is bogus - it does not matter **** all which room - the better speaker will sound better in any room.
    I respectfully submit you have inadvertently contradicted yourself...but I think we agree that sooner or later a room does matter.

It's always a cop out - it sounds bad because of the room? BS!. Gee every room then must be bad - how many rooms and equipment do i need to try the 705 in for them to sound good - i'm up to four now and they've actually been consistant in them - consistantly not good but consistant...and this is the speaker that won European Loudspeaker of the year.
    ROLFMAO!!! I'm not a big fan of the 705 either (but I wouldn't say it sounds "bad", just a bit expensive). I don't deny people can and do use it as a cop-out though..but how often do you seriously get this excuse? And from who?
    Does B&W have a disclaimer on their website or something advising you to keep trying rooms until you like them?

It's easier to agree to disagree on what sounds good than argue over this. Geez, an audiologist friend of mine has shown me papers that prove that the shape of a person's ears will make a bigger difference on the perceived sound than any given piece of equipment...this could explain a lot...could explain some of Bose's claims.

They also awarded lots of other speakers great marks etc(that doesn't mean anything because if they dump on speakers TRUTHFULLY then those speaker or amp makers etc will no longer or ever send them products for review - the magazine doesn't get financing and goes out of business and the stereo magazine industry is a wasteland of defunct companies). Still the editor chose for his own home the Audio Note speakers and the 1992 version(despite the "colour") there is more to the game than that - and properly set-up won;t have that problem anyway since the review room has no corner listening accomodation) - not bad when they badly set-up the speaker it still won their best buy tag - now try badly positioning the B&W 705 or Paradigm and see if it wins anything - say connect them to the walls in corners and see what it sounds like - hmm coloured boomy and horrible when badly set-up).

It's one thing to reivew a speaker for the general public and it's one thing to SELL speakers to the general public. It's another thing to listen to thousands and thousands of products and actually keep one. Considering the miniscule size of Audio Note you might be surprised at just who owns them. Reviewers at Hifi+, Stereophile, Hi-fi Choice, enjoythemusic,com, stereotimes, and that's just the English branded rags. So yes listenable long term versus listenable for a review. My dealer sells lots of speakers for over 30 years - go to each one of the salespeople's homes and see what they own.
    Geez, the first contribution to this thread that you made earlier was to "chuck out right now" all reviews. And here you go quoting reviews and what reviewers own as if it actually means something! I guess if somebody praises Paradigm, their review isn't worth much, but if they praise your Audio Notes like you do to no end, then reviews are precious and proof positive that you're right about everything. Nice consistency.

An basically requires corners to work best and close-ish to wall position - if the room is relatively normal and size appropriate it will work. Of course a better room will help but if the room is the cop out run run from the speaker maker.
    No, the idea that rooms don't matter is what's bogus. A better speaker will NOT "sound better in any room." They might sound better in MOST rooms, but you cannot discount the role that the room plays in shaping what happens to the sound waves when they travel between the transducer and the ear.

Room dimensions have a DIRECT effect on the room modes and how much room gain occurs. A speaker design (except those with advanced active EQ systems) cannot by itself eliminate this as a variable. The room gain varies by the size of the room, and it affects ALL speakers. You think that your AN will sound identical in a 6'x6' concrete bunker and a 50'x80' room, and all points in between? The effect of the corner placement that AN recommends will vary depending on the room dimensions and configuration. As Kex pointed out, even moving the configuration around within the same room can result in a very different kind of sound.

As pointed out in the Alton Everest's acoustics handbook, different wall/boundary materials have different reflective/absorptive properties. And if you've ever looked at the absorption coeffecients for different wall materials, you'd notice that the absorption varies by frequency. Those have a very direct effect on what we hear because the only place where boundary effects don't matter is an anecholic chamber or outdoors in open space.

So you heard the ANs in four different demo rooms at your favorite dealer -- I guess you can now generalize how they sound in every possible room configuration in the world. And because AN speakers are in your infallible assessment completely unaffected by room effects, we can now rest assured that you've debunked all acoustical science with just your ears.

Whew, this means now I can return that SPL meter to Radio Shack and get my $40 back! I mean, when I moved my speakers from one room to another, one of the 10+ db peaks that I measured shifted from 70 Hz to 88 Hz. I thought that the room caused that, but since rooms don't matter, I can only conclude that measurements and SPL meters are just voodoo and part of a global conspiracy to stomp out musical enjoyment and bleed my pocketbook. I'll unplug my parametric EQ as well when I get home as well, since that was calibrated to in-room frequency measurements. Since room effects are bogus, the boomy bass that I was getting earlier is how the bass is SUPPOSED to sound and I simply bought a crappy subwoofer!

Actually this makes my whole room argument totally moot - take it home if you want try it out and make sure you have several others to switch in and out - either way you still have the problem(which is also largely bogus but still) of acoustic memory. It's funny I can remember what an oboe sounds like versus a cello even if I don't hear either one for 4 years acoustic memory bahh Humbug.
    The room argument is NOT moot if you're basing your conclusions on listening sessions that were done in separate rooms. Auditory memory is obviously an issue you do not understand if you're taking it to the extent that the ability to differentiate between a cello and an oboe proves that it's bogus. The issue with auditory memory would be if you could identify the REPRODUCTION of the cello or oboe sounds four years later. Basically, it would simply entail listening to a playback, then four years later listening to it again and being able reliably tell if it was exactly what you heard before (i.e. if someone switched out the speakers and you had to pick out the exact one that you heard before without any visual assistance). THAT is the fallibility and unreliability of auditory memory.

And quite frankly this stuff isn't the end of the world - so who gives a flying leap if I don't like a particular speaker - throw it out if you don't like the opinion - but what the hell is the point of asking for one - There's bigger problems in life than buying sound reproduction boxes and worrying oif RGA doesn't approve - who the hell cares what I think - I have a viewpoint which isn't popular most of the time --- most people write me off as either a nutbar, a shill(man I wish I could at least get something out of this like the watches stereophile reviewers get for shilling Musical Fidelity), a fan-boy, a lover of innacurate distorted sound?? Frankly, it doesn't matter --- I did my comparisons head to head and I'm happy with the results and then I wanted to dispell a few things that I had been told over the last decade about certain designs like SET, and non slim boxed speakers.
    Since you're now referring to yourself in third person, it obviously does matter what people think of you. But, it's not personal, the responses start flying around when you try to equate your PREFERENCES with some kind of proof that scientific principles about wave properties don't matter or have zero relevance to what we hear or are "bogus." Enjoy your speakers, but don't try and convince people that rooms don't matter, that your sighted biased listenings are more valid and reliable than what measured data shows, or that what your ears pick up with your ANs somehow invalidates every other approach to design. It's actually your generalizations and ridiculous stretching of otherwise valid points that are bogus.

IMO "they"(industry companies reviewers and so called sonic experts) lied to me and I'd like to attempt to turn the tide in some small way.
    No, quite the contrary, AN IS a part of the industry; and your shilling for the company is hardly turning the tide, it's just another part of it. After all, you're trying to get people to listen to your speakers the same way that everybody else tries to get people to listen to their speakers.

Of course the room is important for getting the best results - but the better speaker will sound better IT SHOULD in any room provided the room meets the criteria of the speaker maker. If I am listening in a typical 14X18 room at my dealer with a 12 foot ceiling and the speakers can handle that sized room - well mate the speaker is deisgned to operate in typical homes or IT SHOULD BE and that's a typical room.
    And where are the speakers positioned? And what are the absorptive properties of the walls? Is the floor on a slab or is it elevated? Where are the entryways located and low wide are they? Those are but a few of the factors that affect the sound quality.

ALWAYS a cop out? You really need to get out from beyond your dealer's "four rooms" if you think that they are representative of every possible configuration. If you really want a contrast, try out a set of speakers inside of an untreated room with hard surfaces all the way around, and see if it sounds different from a room with carpeting, bass traps, and acoustically treated walls and ceilings.

Just in my house, the sound of my speakers changed when I moved them from one room to another. The peak in the bass shifted from 70 Hz to 88 Hz. Depending on the source material, that produces a VERY different sounding bass. Brick and glass along two walls on a slab hardwood floor to a room with drywall and plaster on three sides and an elevated floor with carpeting, again very different acoustical properties and results in different imaging and somewhat different tonal cues. The difference between having the acoustical panels in place versus not having them, also very noticeable in listenings AND measureable.

If the B&W 705 won an award, obviously SOMEBODY liked them, so your blanket condemnations of that speaker are obviously not universally shared.
    Last edited by Woochifer; 12-16-2004 at 01:21 PM.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I respectfully submit you have inadvertently contradicted yourself...but I think we agree that sooner or later a room does matter.

ROLFMAO!!! I'm not a big fan of the 705 either (but I wouldn't say it sounds "bad", just a bit expensive). I don't deny people can and do use it as a cop-out though..but how often do you seriously get this excuse? And from who?
    Does B&W have a disclaimer on their website or something advising you to keep trying rooms until you like them?

It's easier to agree to disagree on what sounds good than argue over this. Geez, an audiologist friend of mine has shown me papers that prove that the shape of a person's ears will make a bigger difference on the perceived sound than any given piece of equipment...this could explain a lot...could explain some of Bose's claims.
    But if your audiologist friend is correct he may want to tell Floyd Toole and Harman this because according to them everyone or mostly everyone prefers what they tell people to prefer and they have a DBT(such that it is) to "prove" it. Hmmm.

I actually would bet Toole and crew are kinda right but IMO wrong speakers

Of course preference is something else that those jokers never account for - for instance why some people love the Stones and I think they sound like screaming noise makers - same "sound" entering the old ear canal - but some HATE LOATHE despise and get physically ill listening to the stuff(RAP) and some have that reaction to Mozart. Same sound - very different reaction to it. Another hmm.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information