paradigm pw 2200

Printable View

  • 07-01-2005, 04:10 PM
    browning82
    paradigm pw 2200
    yes,
    I just purchased a paradigm pw2200 new in a box from my local dealer. I noticed that when took it out and looked at the back of it, the plastic port flange seemed to be missing. In stead of having a plastic flange in the port, all I have is a hole. There is a port, just no plastic piece in it. This is the new version of the sub, and I was wondering if this is normal, or if they just simply forgot it. Also will this effect sound much.

    Thank you,
  • 07-01-2005, 05:16 PM
    kexodusc
    Shouldn't affect sound at all, except, slightly possibly at 800-1000 Hz frequency range during greater than 105 dB of playback.
    I wouldn't worry about sound quality.
    If I recall it's a 4" port? I could be off. See if others are like this as well, if not, ask for an exchange (you deserve it plus, it might affect your resale value later on!).

    You can buy those size covers after-market, but I'm nost sure if they have the pre-drilled screw-holes the Paradigms have.

    If I were you and in fact other new PW-2200's have these covers (double check, mine was v.2, not sure what version these are on now), exchange it...accept nothing less...tell your dealer it affects your resale value and possibly performance...he shouldn't care.
  • 07-01-2005, 05:31 PM
    browning82
    In fact I think the port is 5". I also have the version 2, they told me that it was the new version, so if you have the version 2 also just want to know if you have a plastic sleeve in your port. If so, I will take this sub back.

    Thank you
  • 07-01-2005, 06:35 PM
    popolz
    I have a V2 (bought it ~ a month ago) and there's no plastic sleeve in it...

    only a rough 5" hole and a cardboard tube...

    edit: oh and if you notice the AMP is always at 100F in STANDBY it's normal as per Paradigm... which translates in a 19.2watts power consumption
  • 07-01-2005, 06:49 PM
    PAT.P
    Paradigm PW 2200
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by browning82
    In fact I think the port is 5". I also have the version 2, they told me that it was the new version, so if you have the version 2 also just want to know if you have a plastic sleeve in your port. If so, I will take this sub back.

    Thank you

    I have the Paradigm book 3 &4 and show it as the plastic sleeve and I have the Paradigm version 2 PS1000 and I have 3 port hole .This is what they say about their port hole."High-velocity, low noise ports with critically flared rims ensure maximum bass efficiency with minimum turbulance distortion" Pat.P
  • 07-01-2005, 07:14 PM
    PAT.P
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by popolz
    I have a V2 (bought it ~ a month ago) and there's no plastic sleeve in it...

    only a rough 5" hole and a cardboard tube...

    edit: oh and if you notice the AMP is always at 100F in STANDBY it's normal as per Paradigm... which translates in a 19.2watts power consumption

    Why would Paradigm put a cardboard in the PW 2200 and plastic insert (one peice molded ) in the PS1000? Does make any sense .Your paying more $$ for this sub and they cut back on a peice of plastic worth around $5.00 .Pat .P
  • 07-01-2005, 07:29 PM
    popolz
    I have no idea why Paradigm removed it... from what I read on another forum the PW2100 V1, PW2200 V1 and PW2100V2 still use the plastic port but not the PW2200 V2.


    dang... even my PDR12 V3 has a plastic port lol

    When I get home i'll snap a quick pic.

    edit:

    Here's the port of my PW2200

    http://upload.popolz.com/pics/pw2200v2_port.jpg
  • 07-01-2005, 09:01 PM
    PAT.P
    Popolz Thats the ugliest port that I ever seen.Dont beleive Paradigm would cut cost on a plastic pipe .I put my hand in my PS1000 and its one piece molded and mine as 3 port.Pat.P
  • 07-01-2005, 09:34 PM
    N. Abstentia
    I doubt you'll hear a difference between cardboard and plastic. Don't worry about it.

    I thought the port looked pretty nice, I like how the wood is rounded out around the edges.
  • 07-02-2005, 03:23 AM
    kexodusc
    A sub is probably the only speaker where I wouldn't want cheap cardboard porting, not as stiff or dense as plastic. Let's hope you don't live in a humid area either.
    Paradigm's been sticking cardboard in even their higher end models for years now and I never hear it being an issue so it's probably not worth worrying about.
    I owned both a PW-2100 and PW-2200...I thought they both had the covers, but I guess I'm wrong. flared cabinet will work as well as the trim ring. It's mostly cosmetic anyway.
  • 07-02-2005, 06:09 AM
    browning82
    popolz
    That is exactly it. That is exactly what my sub looks like. I really can't belive paradigm would finish there sub like this.
  • 07-02-2005, 07:58 AM
    popolz
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PAT.P
    Popolz Thats the ugliest port that I ever seen.Dont beleive Paradigm would cut cost on a plastic pipe .I put my hand in my PS1000 and its one piece molded and mine as 3 port.Pat.P


    I know it's not the most beautiful port but it's working and I don't see it :D





    and to compare... one of the 2 ports on the PDR12

    http://upload.popolz.com/pics/PDR12_V3.JPG



    beautiful port... but the sud doesn't have any punch :o well not enough punch hehehehe



    Quote:

    Originally Posted by browning82
    That is exactly it. That is exactly what my sub looks like. I really can't belive paradigm would finish there sub like this.


    I know what you mean but how often do you look behind the sub? ;)