Question Paradigm PDR-10 vs. HSU STF-2

hi all,
    Was wondering which of these two was the better sub. I think I can get
    an HSU for the same price as the Paradigm, $350. Most reviews I've
    read for the two are very good. Just wondering what this group thinks
    is the better sub.

Forum Regular

My Two cents

Well, my first question is "Can you listen to both before you buy?" I have heard some great things about HSU, but without having heard myself I have to reserve judgement. I don't think that either sub has anything wrong with it that would disqualify it from the audition.

Here is a review that I came accross for the paradigm that I found rather helpful:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=974

If you set up either of these subs properly, I think that you will be in business. I think that woochifer posted a reply recently on proper sub placement... look for it. It was excellent.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Yup, you'll have to listen to both very carefully...I have and find them extremely similar in just about all performance aspects. Price and appearance might be influencing your decision here.

Rich Tubey Goodness
    I own a Paradigm PDR 10 and think it sounds great (not on the level of the servo 15 but still very good for its price point), but, as has been said. Let your ears be the judge.

Forum Regular

Talking paradigm

Quote Originally Posted by stratman672001
    I own a Paradigm PDR 10 and think it sounds great (not on the level of the servo 15 but still very good for its price point), but, as has been said. Let your ears be the judge.
    I have the pdr-10 sub in my greatroom system. I matched it up with some polk rm6700 sats. Its a nice sound for the money. My wife said the upstairs system had to be small and clean looking for her Trading Spaces world that she lives in. But anyway, I first bought the pdr-8 but it didn't quite fill the room (20x18). The pdr-10 added the punch that the pdr-8 couldn't bring! Nice sub for the money, but the bad boy lives in the basement. Its the pw2200 v.2 and it ain't no puppy!

3db
    Forum Regular
    I cannot comment on the HSU as I never heard it but I have heard the Paradigm PDR10 whe I went shopping for a sub. Although it did well in music, I found it a little anemic for HomeTheater purposes. I also listesned to Axioms' Epicenter 175 and found it to be musical but lacking in grunt for HomeTheater purposes. I chose PSB's Subsonic 5. That was 3 -4 years ago now and I'm still very happy with it. It provided the hardest slam for home theater but is still quick enough to be used for music. Its a great little sub. PSB released the Subsonic 5i an upgrade to the 5 making it even more potent. Sound and Vision did a subwoofer comapriosn back in August of 2003 and it was one the flattest frequenncy response curves of all the subs. Just my 2 cents

Question Thanks, more ??

Thanks all for your input. Unfortunately, I don't know of any HSU dealers near me in SW Connecticut. Anyone know of HSU dealers in New York City? Theres no dealer locater on the Hsu website, maybe I'll call them.
    How important is phase switching in a sub? I noticed thats on difference between the the Paradigm and Hsu. Also, how important is wattage? the Hsu is 250 and the Paradigm is 100. The room the sub will be in is approx 16x18. I'd be using it for 80% music, rest DVD movies.
    Sorry about all the questions, but I don't know if I'll be able to compare both subs before buying and want to get as much info as possible. thx.

nightflier

SVSubwoofers

HSU is in California, but SVS might be closer to home for you. They make excellent subs that compare very well with HSU.

Forum Regular

Question check rms v.s. peak/dynamic

I can't speak for the others however the paradigm pdr-10(2004 models) are 120watts rms & 365 watts peak/dynamic. Check to make sure that your comparing apples to apples.

Thread Information