• 08-03-2009, 06:44 AM
    red01baron
    Outdoor speaker recommendations
    Hello,

I'm looking to put a couple outdoor speakers under my deck for listening above and below. I'd like to be in the $300 range for the pair but could spend more if it was warranted. I've never done outdoor speakers so I'm looking for good adivce and suggestions. I searched the forums but many of the posts were dated.

Thanks for the help.
  • 08-03-2009, 09:30 AM
    Both infinity and Polk make well-reviewed outdoor speakers. With outdoor speakers, the primary concern should be how well they will survive the elements (like if you live near the ocean, or in a very sunny area), because fidelity will be lost on the ambient noise anyhow.

(Also remember to adequately protect your indoor gear that will be driving the speakers).
  • 08-05-2009, 06:20 PM
    red01baron
    Thought I would share this following private message. I found it very helpful and wanted to make it available to others. Thanks again to nightflier.

1. With the dizzying array of choices, do you have any suggestions for narrowing the selection down. My local retailers are pushing Paradigm, Klipsch, Bose, and Polk.

2. Is $300 - $400 for the pair a fair amount to expect to spend for reasonably good performance.

3. You mentioned "Also remember to adequately protect your indoor gear that will be driving the speakers". What specifically did you mean by this?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) I've had good experiences with Polk and Infinity speakers. Bose is not really worth the high price they are charging. Klipsch is also a good brand, especially since their speakers typically need very little power and can still play loud. I'm not too familiar with Paradigm, but they should be decent as well. Try and find speakers with plenty of bass since outside, there are no walls to re-enforce the bass response. Typically, the heavier and larger the speaker, the better the bass. Also look for a speaker that looks and feels solid. Bose speakers usually fail that test (and good luck finding important specs like a frequency response on them).

(2) $400 is a bit steep. I would look for speakers on eBay or an open-box item from a good dealer. Since the speakers will be outside and since they should have solid construction, a dent or scratch is less troublesome. As long as the dealer takes returns, you should be fine. Used speakers are fine too. I would be a little careful installing expensive speakers in a bad neighborhood, too - playing great sound very loud is an advertisement to some ears.

(3) Regarding outdoor installations, you should use appropriate cables, good insulation, and if you're going to go some distance, a conduit for the cabling would be ideal. You can purchase overload and short-circuit protection boxes if you're concerned about the equipment inside your home, and that may be something to consider. Remember that water from sprinklers, humidity, or condensation could cause a short and damage your amp. You may also want to consider an in-line volume control for convenience. Many of the ones made for outside installations include protection circuits. There are other factors too, but that's what comes to mind.

FYI, here's a good resource for installation tips:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Learn...g=12400&tp=188
  • 08-05-2009, 06:24 PM
    Luvin Da Blues
    If I can add that, unless you live in a real dry climate, stay away from paper cones if you go used.
  • 08-05-2009, 08:13 PM
    harley .guy07
    Quote:

Originally Posted by red01baron
    Thought I would share this following private message. I found it very helpful and wanted to make it available to others. Thanks again to nightflier.

1. With the dizzying array of choices, do you have any suggestions for narrowing the selection down. My local retailers are pushing Paradigm, Klipsch, Bose, and Polk.

2. Is $300 - $400 for the pair a fair amount to expect to spend for reasonably good performance.

3. You mentioned "Also remember to adequately protect your indoor gear that will be driving the speakers". What specifically did you mean by this?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) I've had good experiences with Polk and Infinity speakers. Bose is not really worth the high price they are charging. Klipsch is also a good brand, especially since their speakers typically need very little power and can still play loud. I'm not too familiar with Paradigm, but they should be decent as well. Try and find speakers with plenty of bass since outside, there are no walls to re-enforce the bass response. Typically, the heavier and larger the speaker, the better the bass. Also look for a speaker that looks and feels solid. Bose speakers usually fail that test (and good luck finding important specs like a frequency response on them).

(2) $400 is a bit steep. I would look for speakers on eBay or an open-box item from a good dealer. Since the speakers will be outside and since they should have solid construction, a dent or scratch is less troublesome. As long as the dealer takes returns, you should be fine. Used speakers are fine too. I would be a little careful installing expensive speakers in a bad neighborhood, too - playing great sound very loud is an advertisement to some ears.

(3) Regarding outdoor installations, you should use appropriate cables, good insulation, and if you're going to go some distance, a conduit for the cabling would be ideal. You can purchase overload and short-circuit protection boxes if you're concerned about the equipment inside your home, and that may be something to consider. Remember that water from sprinklers, humidity, or condensation could cause a short and damage your amp. You may also want to consider an in-line volume control for convenience. Many of the ones made for outside installations include protection circuits. There are other factors too, but that's what comes to mind.

FYI, here's a good resource for installation tips:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Learn...g=12400&tp=188

I think that this is valuable information and it is true that being that these speakers are going to be used outside in the elements that paper cones are not a good idea. Most reputable speaker manufacturers know this and use different drivers in their outdoor speakers. I have heard the Klipsch and the infinity's and they are both comparable in performance. As far as bass performance it will be difficult to attain a bass response outside that compares to in home audio but you still can get somewhat full range sound from outdoor speakers. Paradigm is a reputable company and I have heard many of their products and while I have never heard their outdoor products I am sure that they are of good quality. I would do my research and audition some different brands to see what you like then go on the prowl to try to find the best price for them. I think your price point is probably about right if you really want a good quality sound. But I would try to mount them as to prevent direct contact with snow,rain and other outside hazards though. I am sure you already know that. I have seen many outdoor speakers on ebay and other internet sites that might save you some money as well. good luck
  • 08-06-2009, 09:04 AM
    One more suggestion: if you do buy from Polk Direct, Crutchfield, or one of the well regarded online stores, you may not get the best price, but they are extremely helpful with installations, providing diagrams, power/placement recommendations, and support. Being mail-order only, they kind of have to be.

I bought a car stereo from Crutchfield some years back and while this is not at all my area, they made it simple and easy. When I had an issue last year, they had all the communications we had had about the unit in their database and this helped a whole lot in figuring out the new problem. So while the price is a bit higher, it's a great place to start when tackling a new area. Certainly leagues better than BestBuy - I could write a book about the pathetic service there.
  • 08-06-2009, 10:40 AM
    Hyfi
    I'm using a nice Pair of Athena I/O speakers. They are out of the elements and I take them inside in the winter.

Driven with my Stratos or Counterpoint, they sound great for what they are. I think I paid about $150 for them 2 years ago.
  • 08-07-2009, 06:51 AM
    Styx
    Don't forget about Niles and JBL. I running a pair of Niles OS-10 (I got at a yardsale for $5.00) on the porch and I'm very happy with them.
  • 08-07-2009, 07:07 AM
    harley .guy07
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Styx
    Don't forget about Niles and JBL. I running a pair of Niles OS-10 (I got at a yardsale for $5.00) on the porch and I'm very happy with them.

Niles would probably be a good choice. They specialize in speakers to work in different locations and the switchboxes and amps to run them. I have seen and installed their products in pool rooms, outiside, and on patios and will say that they are good at this sort of thing. Plus you can get the different components form them to support them.