Forum Regular

Question Orb upgrade to Klipsch or B&W?

I am moving to a bigger apartment soon and I am thinking to upgrade my setup a little. Currently I have an old Marantz SR18 with an old Velodyne subwoofer. I have 10 Orbspeakers and a PS3. I am getting the Panasonic AE3000 projector and LG 52" ( 120khz) LCD along with an OS 110" screen for my new home. I will also need to have a 2.1 setup in my computer room. I am thinking to buy Klipsch ICON W WF-35 or B&W ( i think 684, not too sure. The pair similar price with the Klipsch )

Should I just spend $350usd for a pair of ORB stands shipped to Taiwan without upgrading any speakers at the moment and save some cash? I want to know how it sounds and feels in a new environment especially with the new 110" projector. Or should I upgrade to Klipsch or B&W pair with the center? Then I can use my left over 4 orb speakers along with the orb super 8 subwoofer for my 2.1 computer setup.

I have listend to two of them and I think the Klipsch sounds much powerful, loud and the bass is better. I think the B&W's sound is more clear and crisp even the music sounds better but lack of bass. I mainly use the system to watch Blurays and occasionally music listening. ( house, hip hop, trance, r&b )

The reason why I only listened Klipsch and B&W because they are the only ones which can be fitted with my interior design. I can't get anything bigger. Oh and eventually I will upgrade to a newer receiver when I get more cash on my hands.

Last edited by pekopeeus; 07-08-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Go with a pair of B&W's and that HGS velodyne sub. The Klipsch sound louder because they are a more efficient speaker than the B&W's so they will sound louder at any given volume setting. But the B&W's will have a more detailed and refined sound.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    thank you blackraven, Will it help or even increase the bass volume if I add an old ATI 4 channel amp to it? My dad just gave it to me and all I know it is black and very heavy. Since I am using the marantz sr 18.

Thanks!

im jealous of the receiver haha ... i only have a Marantz 2240 haha but it still pushes my Polk's ... that receiver is a beast!

Quote Originally Posted by pekopeeus
    thank you blackraven, Will it help or even increase the bass volume if I add an old ATI 4 channel amp to it? My dad just gave it to me and all I know it is black and very heavy. Since I am using the marantz sr 18.

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the ATI amp but I'm sure others are. I looked up the ATI 1504 amp and it looks like a beast in 2ch mode with over 400wpc. It should have much more oomph than the Marantz which is also a very good piece of equipment.

Have your dad send some of his equipment my way!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP