• 01-04-2008, 01:50 PM
    zepman1
    Opinions on Axiom bookshelf speakers?
    I will be purchasing a pair of bookshelf speakers and am in the process of listening to some. I am curious about the Axiom speakers that are advertised on this website. Anyone have any opinions on these as I have never heard them. I see they have a 30 day free in home trial, but you have to pay to ship them back if you don't want them. Not a huge expense, but not cheap either.

In the $300-$500 price range are these speakers competitive or not worth the money?

For comparison I am looking at the KEF IQ3, Boston CR series, Polk Rti series, Klipsch RB series and Energy C series. There are other brands I would like to try, but they are not available near where I live (B&W, PSB to name a couple.

Thanks in advance.
  • 01-04-2008, 02:31 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zepman1
    I will be purchasing a pair of bookshelf speakers and am in the process of listening to some. I am curious about the Axiom speakers that are advertised on this website. Anyone have any opinions on these as I have never heard them. I see they have a 30 day free in home trial, but you have to pay to ship them back if you don't want them. Not a huge expense, but not cheap either.

In the $300-$500 price range are these speakers competitive or not worth the money?

For comparison I am looking at the KEF IQ3, Boston CR series, Polk Rti series, Klipsch RB series and Energy C series. There are other brands I would like to try, but they are not available near where I live (B&W, PSB to name a couple.

Thanks in advance.

While you are shopping on-line you might want to check out Ascend Acoustics CBM 170SE. It is a good speaker but very forward. AudioAdvisor in their demo section has a nice pair of KEF IQ3's discounted. I like the imaging of the UniQ driver and I almost bought that pair. The new B&W series is getting rave reviews and is supposed to be their best 600 speakers ever. I think there are a lot of quality speakers in your price range.
  • 01-04-2008, 05:29 PM
    kexodusc
    I have a pair of Axiom M3ti's, they are very competitive for the money, a bit better than the likes of PSB, Paradigm, and B&W at the same price point IMO. They are a bit on the bright side (they don't have the rolled off highs some people prefer) but definitely not harsh or fatiguing. They image great.
    The Ascend Acoustics speakers suggested are a bit different in presentation. IMO about the same quality overall, but probably appeal to a different ear altogether.

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...&product=111.1
    These are the speaker in the $300-$500 price range I would buy if I was buying now...a bit better in several areas compared to my M3ti's, except perhaps imaging, but they're no slouch there. Definitely worth consideration.

It's a shame stores don't stock either of these 3 brands, the factory-direct route does offer better product IMO, but the trial and error process of finding the best fit to your listening preferences is a bit of a risk.
  • 01-04-2008, 09:15 PM
    blackraven
    How about some PSB Alpha B1's. Its one of stereophiles budget components of the year. You would definitely need a good sub with it. Also the NHT Classic 2 and 3's are very good speakers. But If I had to pick a speaker unseen, it would be B&W's. Very accurate clean sound IMO.
  • 01-07-2008, 07:28 AM
    zepman1
    Yes, I am going to try and listen to the PSB Alphas. In that price range I think they will be near the top of my list along with the KEF IQ3 and maybe the Axiom's.

Any other opinions on Axiom, specifically their bookshelf speakers? I know about the 30 day trial but don't want to pay to ship them back if I don't have to.

I had never heard of the AV123 speakers before. They offer to pay to ship them back if you don't like them, not a bad deal!

Thanks.
  • 01-08-2008, 01:54 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zepman1
    Yes, I am going to try and listen to the PSB Alphas. In that price range I think they will be near the top of my list along with the KEF IQ3 and maybe the Axiom's.

Any other opinions on Axiom, specifically their bookshelf speakers? I know about the 30 day trial but don't want to pay to ship them back if I don't have to.

I had never heard of the AV123 speakers before. They offer to pay to ship them back if you don't like them, not a bad deal!

Thanks.

A friend had a pair of Axiom towers, the top of the line.
    Sounded great. Didnt like the tweeters much tho.
    Lots of speakers out there, a lot use the same drivers.
    Axioms and psb and paradigm are Canadian , they help keep the hugh Canadian
    lumber industry going.
    Take your time, speakers will be with you for awhile:1:
  • 01-08-2008, 06:24 AM
    RoadRunner6
    Report on my Axioms
    I have been into audio for almost forty years (wow am I an old fart!). I have owned many brands including Altec Lansing, the original Bose 901 (what a mistake!), Klipsch, AR, Rectinlinear, KEF, Energy and Outlaw Audio to mention a few.

I think a lot of your decision is based upon your listening habits and your room accoustics. No speaker sound great unless you properly place them in your room.

About a year ago I purchased 3ea Axiom M2's and 2ea Axiom QS4's for my condo living room. I have them matched with an Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus subwoofer. I spent a great deal of time deciding on these particular speakers.

First of all I must say that Axiom Audio is the most impressive speaker folks I have ever delt with. When you call to talk to one of their experts you are really talking to an expert. Somewhere on their website you will find the bio's on the people you will talk to. They all have many years of top pro experience in the audio field. I sent them photos of my room with specific questions about my intended placement and their recommedation. I talked to them several times and had all of my questions answered. They even talked me down several models for the front speakers and down to the smaller of their two surround speakers and recommended only 2 of them instead of 4. (find another company that will do this) By the way, I feel their advice was perfect.

Initially, I ordered one single M2 speaker and conducted my own listening tests. After I was thoroughly satisfied I returned that single speaker for a small shipping charge. I then ordered the front three M2's in black piano gloss custom finish (they are absolutely gorgeous) and I ordered the two rear QS4 surrounds with a custom color from a painted wood piece sample that I sent to them in order to match the rear wall paint. Their paint job was a perfect match. Everything about my experience with them was first class superb.

Yes, I said that I have three M2's across the front. I know that the very best sound stage is achieved when all three front speakers are the exact same speaker. With a smaller bookshelf speaker this works well in my situation and looks great the way I have them installed. Most people are unable to set up their fronts this way. Setting the center channel speaker over on its side usually has some draw backs. However, be sure the center speaker has the exact same drivers if possible from the same brand, especially the tweeter.

If you want to knock the walls down and get the neighbors to call the police on a regular basis then go for a highly efficient (sensitive) speaker like most of the Klipsch, etc. The Axioms are maybe of average sensitivity for this size speaker. In my condo they are very sufficent in filling my room with more than adequate sound levels. According to Axiom they have a high power handling capability.

I wanted a speaker system that was dead accurate, very low distortion, a natural midrange on jazz vocals and with a smooth but not edgey high end. I also needed a speaker that would sound neutral right up within several inches of the wall. Axiom said they would and I haved to admit this was the only comment they made to me that had me doubting them. Darned if they were not correct. In my opinion the M2's are right on. The Axiom surrounds are an absolute jewel. The QS4's are plenty for my room and are a great blend of direct and enveloping sound. The price of the Axiom's in the regular finish are in my opinion a real steal. The Axiom surround QS speakers really set them apart from other brands in my opinion. I spent a premium for the custom finishes and still am very pleased with the price versus performance.

I'm not usually one that puts much validity in break-in periods but the guys at Axiom were right on. At first they sounded somewhat boring to be honest. Later they seemed to come alive. I think some of this was the fact that they are in my opinion very accurate. They don't grab immediate attention as other speakers with hot spots in the frequency response might. Overall I highly recommend Axiom and their speakers.

Some people refuse to buy speakers that they cannot audition first. I know from experience that your speakers will usually sound vastly different in your own room than they did in the dealers showroom. I put a lot of credibility in multiple reviews from accurate sources (excluding audio magazines than hear amazing sound differences in speaker wire, cables etc). The Axioms sounded exactly like I expected based on my extensive research.

Other speakers you might consider if you decide not to go the direct to user route are those from Paradigm (another Canadian brand, aye). In my opinion those from Europe and England generally are overpriced per performance. Hope you enjoy your final decision.

RR6
  • 01-08-2008, 07:04 AM
    johnny p
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    I have been into audio for almost forty years (wow am I an old fart!). I have owned many brands including Altec Lansing, the original Bose 901 (what a mistake!), Klipsch, AR, Rectinlinear, KEF, Energy and Outlaw Audio to mention a few.

I think a lot of your decision is based upon your listening habits and your room accoustics. No speaker sound great unless you properly place them in your room.

About a year ago I purchased 3ea Axiom M2's and 2ea Axiom QS4's for my condo living room. I have them matched with an Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus subwoofer. I spent a great deal of time deciding on these particular speakers.

First of all I must say that Axiom Audio is the most impressive speaker folks I have ever delt with. When you call to talk to one of their experts you are really talking to an expert. Somewhere on their website you will find the bio's on the people you will talk to. They all have many years of top pro experience in the audio field. I sent them photos of my room with specific questions about my intended placement and their recommedation. I talked to them several times and had all of my questions answered. They even talked me down several models for the front speakers and down to the smaller of their two surround speakers and recommended only 2 of them instead of 4. (find another company that will do this) By the way, I feel their advice was perfect.

Initially, I ordered one single M2 speaker and conducted my own listening tests. After I was thoroughly satisfied I returned that single speaker for a small shipping charge. I then ordered the front three M2's in black piano gloss custom finish (they are absolutely gorgeous) and I ordered the two rear QS4 surrounds with a custom color from a painted wood piece sample that I sent to them in order to match the rear wall paint. Their paint job was a perfect match. Everything about my experience with them was first class superb.

Yes, I said that I have three M2's across the front. I know that the very best sound stage is achieved when all three front speakers are the exact same speaker. With a smaller bookshelf speaker this works well in my situation and looks great the way I have them installed. Most people are unable to set up their fronts this way. Setting the center channel speaker over on its side usually has some draw backs. However, be sure the center speaker has the exact same drivers if possible from the same brand, especially the tweeter.

If you want to knock the walls down and get the neighbors to call the police on a regular basis then go for a highly efficient (sensitive) speaker like most of the Klipsch, etc. The Axioms are maybe of average sensitivity for this size speaker. In my condo they are very sufficent in filling my room with more than adequate sound levels. According to Axiom they have a high power handling capability.

I wanted a speaker system that was dead accurate, very low distortion, a natural midrange on jazz vocals and with a smooth but not edgey high end. I also needed a speaker that would sound neutral right up within several inches of the wall. Axiom said they would and I haved to admit this was the only comment they made to me that had me doubting them. Darned if they were not correct. In my opinion the M2's are right on. The Axiom surrounds are an absolute jewel. The QS4's are plenty for my room and are a great blend of direct and enveloping sound. The price of the Axiom's in the regular finish are in my opinion a real steal. The Axiom surround QS speakers really set them apart from other brands in my opinion. I spent a premium for the custom finishes and still am very pleased with the price versus performance.

I'm not usually one that puts much validity in break-in periods but the guys at Axiom were right on. At first they sounded somewhat boring to be honest. Later they seemed to come alive. I think some of this was the fact that they are in my opinion very accurate. They don't grab immediate attention as other speakers with hot spots in the frequency response might. Overall I highly recommend Axiom and their speakers.

Some people refuse to buy speakers that they cannot audition first. I know from experience that your speakers will usually sound vastly different in your own room than they did in the dealers showroom. I put a lot of credibility in multiple reviews from accurate sources (excluding audio magazines than hear amazing sound differences in speaker wire, cables etc). The Axioms sounded exactly like I expected based on my extensive research.

Other speakers you might consider if you decide not to go the direct to user route are those from Paradigm (another Canadian brand, aye). In my opinion those from Europe and England generally are overpriced per performance. Hope you enjoy your final decision.

RR6

A++++!!!!!!!!! I had a difficult situation in selecting speakers since we're in the market for a new house, so I tried to get something that sounded as good as possible in multiple setups, and plan to design the layout of their future room based on my listening tastes.
  • 01-08-2008, 08:36 AM
    zepman1
    Thanks
    RoadRunner:

Thank you for your detailed response. I am in the planning stages of finishing my basement and home theater. Before I can finalize the room layout I am trying to at least have a preliminary plan in place for which speakers I will use, how many, and where I will put them so I can coordinate in wall wiring, mounting, etc. Then I plan to audtition speakers in home (after renovations) so I can evaluate their performance with my receiver, and in my completed home theater.

I really wanted to get a feel for the axiom speakers before actually trying them in home. If there was consensus that comparable speakers (KEF IQ3, PSB Alphas) blew them away, I would forget the whole thing and focus on the brands available in local audio shops. Since that does not appear to be the case, I will keep the axiom's on my list.

I am looking for some bookshelf speakers that will primarily be solid (with a good sub) for two-channel audio. They will also be part of a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater setup. For now my choices of speakers are based upon what I will be able to audtition in home either through demo's from local audio shops or 30 day trials from online direct retailers. My list for now:

KEF IQ3 or IQ1
    Energy C series
    PSB Alpha B1
    B&W 685
    NHT Classic 2 or 3
    Axiom M3 or M2
    AV123 x-Is
    Paradigm Atoms
    Polk Monitor Series

And one question for you Roadrunner: What are you powering your axioms with (how much power)? Do you wish you were feeding them more? I have not purchased my amp yet and will consider your response.
  • 01-09-2008, 03:37 PM
    RoadRunner6
    Due to my ex-wife taking me to the cleaners I have become the world's best bang for the buck audio guy. Also, I think I have learned over the years a lot about separating hype from reality. I sometimes irritate some of the "audiophiles" since I don't subscribe to imaginary sound benefits. I buy heavy duty zip cord for speaker wire, good quality construction but otherwise the cheapest cables and connectors I can find. Video cables must be solid. I also don't hear much difference in turntables (cartridges yes), cd players, or even in amps. I put my money and effort where the results in sound are and that is primarily in the speakers themselves and most importantly the speaker/room relationship.

In recent years money has been scarce and my system is very modest. No separate amps like the old days. However, I firmly believe that even experienced listeners cannot hear the difference between a reasonable quality receiver and a system of separates, 98% of the time in double blind tests. I am talking of course about a normal range of speakers that do not put an exotic load on the amp and especially systems with separate powered subs.

Your short list looks to me like you have already done a lot of homework. That is a very fine group of speakers you listed above. I am in the satelite/sub crowd. I think the big floor towers with the built-in subs are a huge mistake. The one area where a speaker system is most affected by room accoustics is in the bass range. You need to be able if possible to move the sub (or two subs) around to locate the best placement. You can't do this with the big hummers. I prefer a small to medium sized bookshelf speaker with a great sub to compliment it below 80hz or so. This frees you from lots of the big box honk and standing waves you can't do anything about. It also frees the amp from driving the lower bass. Your amp/receiver can breeze along driving that great clean upper bass, midrange and highs and with lots more flexibility in placement. The sub allows you to fine tune the bass based on its placement in your room. A good powered sub is essential in this type of system. I have a Velodyne SMS-1 EQ/bass managment component tweaking my sub since I have only one location that is practical in my room.

Getting to your question (after my longwinded response...just got home from Japan where I wrote my first post above and I'm deep into jet lag), I currently own a 5year old Sony STR-DA4ES reciever. I choose it over a Denon and Yamaha (I think these two brands are many times the best best bang for the buck in receivers in my opinion) because it had a very nice quasi-parametric EQ in it. At the time I had an Energy sat/sub system that tended to have a dip in the crossover range and I used the EQ to flatten it out. I don't think the Sony has as strong an amp as the Denon or Yamaha line with all channels driven but in most cases it loafs along in my place. It think it is tested at about 150 per chan/8ohms and some where about 75 per chan in surround. I have no problem in my room especially with a very strong sub amp. If you have a large room and go for very high sound levels then of course you might tend to put a high preference for a model that is in the higher sensitivity range (much more bang for the buck here than a few more watts in one receiver versus another). It is surprising how many people don't understand the basics of watts versus sound output. It takes double the power to achieve a 3dB increase in sound levels (and that is only a rather slight increase). I know friends who have said bye to their 100 watt per channel receiver to buy a 130 watt per channel receiver. Whoa, not much there but a little headroom of maybe 1dB. Whereas picking a speaker with an actual sensitivity of 90dB's versus one of 87dB's is like going from a 100 watt amp to a 200 watt amp.

I like the Axioms becuase they sound almost as good up close to the wall as out away from the wall. Usually a bookshelf speaker sounds best on stands 2 or 3 feet away from the wall. When moved closer to the wall the boxy honk sound appears. Try this at home. Have someone hold one single speaker near the wall or against it (not close to their body if possible). Play a very clean sounding female jazz vocalist thru that speaker only. Then have them suddenly move the speaker a foot or two away from the wall. You will usually hear a significantly different and usually better sound away from the wall. My only mounting option was several inches from the wall. The Axioms still sounded great. The Axiom expert said this was due to the slanted sides and the Axiom rear vent. Of course I also like the Axioms because I feel they are significantly cheaper than comparable brands sold thru dealers.

Your room size, ceiling height, carpet or hard floor, drapes, upolstered furniture, etc as well as how loud you like the sound all have a lot to due with how much power you might need (and don't forget about the actual speaker sensitivity, not just the specified rating). Hope this helps.
  • 01-10-2008, 01:11 AM
    RoadRunner6
    Just a quick follow up here. Be careful sometimes when you hear a speaker that blows you away in a dealers room. Try to make sure they are not on the low side in efficiency (speaker sensitivity). That speaker with a sensitivity of 85dB might be great for low to medium volumes but stress your amp when driven loudly. That speaker will take twice as much power as one with an 88dB rating or 4 times as much power as a speaker with a 91dB rating to attain the same sound volume output level (and 8 times as one with a 94dB rating, etc.). It actually takes about a 10dB increase in volume to make the human ear hear an effective increase of double volume and that means 10 times the power. Many great "audiophile" speakers are on the low side sensitivity wise and require a very large monitary investment in separate amps to drive them to acceptable levels especially in home theater settings. Some dealers switch from one speaker to another with volume equalizing circuits so they all play at the same volume. When comparing for sensitivity you need to A/B them independently to see which one is louder and by how much to check for higher sensitivity (regardless of the sometimes inaccurate published spec).

That really good sub with the beefy amp helps a lot. There is a lot of very low bass content in some of the newer movies or if you're a pipe organ freak. And don't be fooled by the little small cube type subs. They are ONLY for those with drastic space requirements. It takes a large box to reproduce good low distortion/low bass with reasonable power. That little 13" enclosure cube sub with the 12" driver and 2500 watts of power will not match the performance of the 12" driver in a much larger box with 250-500 watts (the laws of physics even apply to Mr. Carver). The little cube subs need huge magnets and tons of power to offset their intrinsic size limitations. Some superior quality subs with 8-10" drivers can also have very good performance especially for extra tight musical bass. For great buys in subs check out SVS, HSU and Outlaw Audio online direct sellers among others. At local dealers Velodyne is one of my favorite subs.

RR6
  • 01-10-2008, 04:36 AM
    kexodusc
    Nice comments RoadRunner, and welcome to Ar.com...hope to see you sticking around. Lots of bang-for-buck guys around here :)
  • 01-10-2008, 05:34 AM
    zepman1
    RoadRunner:

Thanks again useful information. 150 wpc is a pretty good chunk of power, and I agree with your point about impedence. It may not matter to some, but if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg on amplification it makes a lot of sense. Part of my question to you is that you are happy with the Axioms at that power rating? As mentioned some speakers tend to like the juice, and it isn't always an issue of impedence, for maximum performance. I will likely be looking at receivers in the 100W range.

I do plan to audition ALL of my speaker choices in home, so I should be able to determine pretty well which will work best. I also do not put too much stock in listening to speakers in the showroom as the sound is different as is the equipment. I was at Circuit City listening to the KEF's and they had a sub playing, which makes it kind of hard to evaluate the bass response of the speaker (IQ3). I asked the guy to turn off the sub and set the speakers to "large". He didn't know what I meant or how to do it... Of course that kind of BS doesn't happen at a real audio shop, but that is where the KEF's were. I will just buy them when I am auditioning some others and return them if I prefer another speaker.
  • 01-10-2008, 09:33 AM
    RoadRunner6
    Thanks Kexodusc and other members for you kind comments. I was actually on vacation relaxing and cleaning out some of my favorite bookmarks. Audioreview.com is a great source for owner comments. I just happened to surf the forum and noticed the question about Axiom so thought would chime in and offer my 2 cents. I will be back to the old busy work schedule in several days but check in as I can. Nice forum you guys have here! Sorry that I tend to get a little wordy in my posts to say the least.

Zepman1.....actually I was talking about speaker efficiency which is more correctly called speaker sensitivity, how loud a speaker will play at a given power input, normally specified by loudness in decibels at 1 meter distance with one watt power input.

Impedence is also important. Many of those exotic and some regular speakers tend to run a quite low impedence load of 4 ohms or less. This is great in one aspect because decent amps put considerably more power into a 4 ohm load (theoretically it is twice but in reality it usually runs about 25-50% more). The problem is that it takes a strong stable amp to drive the lower impedence loads. The manufacturers listed impedence spec on speakers can be way off and it also varies per frequency. That is one of the many reasons I try to find a review on the speaker to get a pro's opinion as to any low impedence characteristcs and potential problems for the amp I might have in mind. It is also why for serious systems I always avoid the entry level receivers. I think the best bang for the buck is in the medium price range about $750-$1500 for a receiver. These are usually available online for about $500--$1000 discounted. My $1100 list Sony cost me $610 online 5 years ago. My $1000 list Denon in my bedroom system cost me $750 online. This level of receiver normally has a pretty good power supply and is stable with the loads down into the 4ohm or so range.

Many speakers tend to offer about a 5-8ohm load and others can get down into the 3-4 ohm range. Be sure if you seriously consider a speaker, you audition it with a amp/receiver similar to yours. Many dealers will demo a low efficiency/low impedence speaker with very expensive amps and then you wonder why your $1000 receiver has a problem driving them when you get them home. Most pro reviews cover any low impedence problems for you. I always go online thru search engines to find any pro and user reviews I can find on the speaker I am considering. Just enter the model number and "review" behind it. Sometimes you can find a lot out also by looking for reviews on the model just above or below in the manufacturer's line. They many times have the same drivers and just a different enclosure size and will have very similar sound characteristics except for a little different bass cut off point. Look for a speaker that has a bass frequency low point of at least 80hz at -3db specification. Down to 50-70 hz at -3db's response should be a good ideal crossover point to the sub using the nornally accepted THX crossover point of 80hz. This can very from 60-100hz depending on your room accoustics. Be sure your receiver has sub crossover settings at every 10-20 hz from at leaast 50hz up to 120 hz. Always set your 5 or 7 main speakers bookshelf to "small" in the setup procedures regardless of their low bass capabilities.

Hopefully your speaker will have good dispersion characteristics like the Axiom does so that the soundstage is wide and you don't need to sit in the exact sweet spot to enjoy good flat response.

By the way, a little known fact is if you get a recevier leave the 4/8 Ohm switch in the 8 Ohm setting regardless of the stated impedence of your speakers (unless you find that the receiver actually heats up and shuts down). This switch is supplied by the manufacturer to satisfy the power requirement/impedence rules.

Yes, 9 out of 10 people at mass market retailers have very little knowledge. I use those stores to do my own on hands looking and sometimes just find the owners manual and sit down and read it (or go online and download the owner's manual direct from the manufacturer before I buy any audio/home theater product...my home printer gets a lot of use). Occasionally you'll find some great buys at these stores. I have a friend who recently purchased a Panasonic plasma (great bang for the buck and the best flat panel for home theater in my opinion at a reasonable price) at Sears of all places due to their stacked discounts. He beat the best online price by several hundred dolllars!

I find BS even at the supposedly pro shops. I usually ask a couple of qustions that I already know the answer to to see if the person I'm talking to knows their stuff. I always take anything I hear from any dealer with a grain of salt until I verify it (the constant sceptic).

I think your choice of a receiver in the 100 watt range is right on. You will usually find these actually put out about 125 watts or more at 8ohms, two stereo channels driven from 20-20,000hz, with .03 to 0.1 % distortion. At 5 channels driven at the same time they should run about 60-100 watts with the same specs. Normally you will not need the 7 channel capability unless you have a huge room or large rear area and a need for 4 surround speakers in you listening area. Be suspect of any amp that reviews at a power output lower at 4 ohms than at 8 ohms. A quality amp even in a receiver should always put out more power into 4 ohms (or 6 ohms) than into 8 ohms.

Again, to answer your question...I think you will find if you have a small to medium listening area and speakers of average or greater sensitivity you will be fine with this power level of receiver. If you seem to have need for more power due to a huge room or very inefficient speakers (below average sensitivity) and find your self needing to buy a very expensive receiver, put yourself in reverse and buy a more efficient set of speakers rather than a $3000-$5000 receiver versus a $750-$1500 one (bang for the buck....never live or die by one speaker model...there are many out there that sound great). I usually buy a receiver based on my opinion of the general performance versus price and also any specific features the receiver might have that are important to me. For example, the remote control on my Sony receiver is horrible and I immediately bought a MX-500 Universal remote for $100 which is a jewel. I actually picked the Sony because of its unusually complex EQ which I needed for my specific speakers in my room.

There are very nice receivers out there that are in the "higher class" area like those from Rotel, Adcom, NAD, etc. However, in my BFB opinion the regular mass market "turn down your audiophile nose" brands have just as good amps and more features for a better price. I especially like those from Yamaha, Denon, Pionner, Onkyo, Sony ES and HK. If you want to close your eyes and throw a dart go with the Yamaha line. Beware of any shop that tries to steer you towards any one brand as way above the rest. Also be aware of anyone that says that receiver A sounds better than a similarly priced receiver B especially when driving speaker C...all purple haze! Have them do a double blind listening test and then repeat their statements. The real sound difference is in the speakers and the listening room (and of course the actual sound source material). In my opinion significant or even subtle sound differences between similar quality receivers and separates is way overstated.

When friends ask me what amp/reciever to buy after I know what speakers they have the first thing I ask is to either see there actual listening room or have them draw me a diagram so I can try to estimate there power equirements. I also want to know their listening habits....loud movies, and very loud rock, or loud to medium volume and accoutic jazz, etc? I also need to know their budget. If I knew this info about you I could probably offer some better advice based on my own experience. Only you can pick the actually sound characteristics you prefer.

Was that a short post or what?

RR6
  • 01-10-2008, 10:20 AM
    zepman1
    RR:

Thanks again for your ideas. I do appreciate it, as it always helps to get another perspective to help narrow down the field before auditioning some equipment. At this point I am still trying to get a feel for what kind of overall quality I am looking for, and how much I want to spend. Then eventually I will come up with a list of equipment to audition based on price, specs, and reviews. Then comes the fun part...

I don't know what I was thinking with the impedence/sensitivity thing. I knew what you meant the first time, but had a brain fart I guess. Didn't type what I was thinking...