Opinion on Polk subs....

Printable View

  • 05-18-2004, 08:12 PM
    bullion416
    Opinion on Polk subs....
    I am thinking about adding a Polk Audio subwoofer to my stereo system (either the PSW303 or PSW404). Since they are new no one has posted reviews of these subs. I just wanted to see what you guys thought of them. I am also considering a JBL E150P or E250P (supposedly they are a ton better than the models they replaced). I have also been exploring the option of buying a used Velodyne from ebay. What are your opinions on these subs? Thanks
  • 05-18-2004, 08:39 PM
    N. Abstentia
    In that price range why not HSU or SVS? Either one will bury all of those.
  • 05-19-2004, 02:57 AM
    Lafferman
    i've found that on this forum if it isn't SVS or HSU then the sub isn't worth anything. but that's just my experience from asking about other subs
  • 05-19-2004, 05:05 AM
    Bryan
    Not quite. The Sony SA-WM40 was well received here and went for $200. For a budget subwoofer it was good. Boomy, but good.

    As the PSW404 goes for $399 the HSU VTF-2 and Adire Audio Rava are both available at that price point and are top notch subs. Additionally, both either equal or beat the Velodyne CHT subs. However, that line of Velodyne subs I wouldn't really consider. If you can find a used Paradigm PW-2200 it perform admirably for you. If you have something other than your primary receiver to power it with, look into a passive sub, such as the SVS 25-31CS or VMPS New Original Subwoofer in kit form. If you are good with tools and have the time the DIY route may be right up your alley.
  • 05-19-2004, 07:06 AM
    kexodusc
    Good point....Why are SVS and HSU so popular? My VTF-2 isn't much better than any PSB or Mirage sub I ever owned that was priced comparably...and I don't like it as much as my Paradigm subs. My neighbor's Energy sounds sweet too. Are they all the rage because they're newer?

    I've found you pretty much get what you pay for in subs...not always the rule, but close.
    I'm quite happy with my HSU, and would recommend it as a decent value, but it's not the end-all-be-all of subs in that price range by any means.
  • 05-19-2004, 07:52 AM
    Luis31
    kexodusc...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Good point....Why are SVS and HSU so popular? My VTF-2 isn't much better than any PSB or Mirage sub I ever owned that was priced comparably...and I don't like it as much as my Paradigm subs. My neighbor's Energy sounds sweet too. Are they all the rage because they're newer?

    I've found you pretty much get what you pay for in subs...not always the rule, but close.
    I'm quite happy with my HSU, and would recommend it as a decent value, but it's not the end-all-be-all of subs in that price range by any means.


    Which Paradigm subs do you (or have you...) owned?

    Luis31
  • 05-19-2004, 09:23 AM
    kexodusc
    I have 2 systems in 2 different rooms, one dedicated HT, one dedicated for stereo music in a room where all my music equipment is. I got rid of an older Paradigm PS-1000 (I think that's the correct model) about 3 years ago, replaced it with a Mirage sub when I got a house. Not much power in the PS-1000 but solid otherwise except below 26 Hz or so. The Mirage was a costly, but significant step up. Then replaced the Mirage with a Paradigm PW-2200. Just bought a used PW-2100 for the back of the room, whoah, too much bass in the HT room now!!! :) Love the PW's.

    Bought the HSU to replace an older PSB sub I bought second hand in my stereo setup just a few months back. I like it very much, I have the cutoff around 70 Hz and use it only for music. In this respect I think it would outperform my PW-2200...at higher frequencies and in an HT setup where you like lots of bass, my PW's are just way better. But I can't detect the location of the HSU much at all when it's playing.

    I remember an ad on the HSU website compared it to the B&W ASW-4000...I've listened to that sub, the HSU isn't even close in my opinion, but the B&W isn't worth the price either.

    When I was demoing subs, the one sub I liked better than my PW-2200 was a Velodyne, that was about $50 more list price. I ended up with the Paradigm because the sales rep wouldn't budge a dollar on the Velodyne and my Paradigm dealer gave me a sweet deal.

    Under $1000, I'd say Velodyne has the best subs (SPL I think was the product models I was looking at)...lots more power, which to me is half the battle in subs.
    Just my personal opinion.
    I guess my point was that SVS and HSU are recommended an aweful lot here in the forums, and I even bought one because of all the hype...not disappointed, just don't think enough credit is given to some other lines. Or too much given to factory direct...either way...
    Cheers.
  • 05-19-2004, 09:42 AM
    Luis31
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I have 2 systems in 2 different rooms, one dedicated HT, one dedicated for stereo music in a room where all my music equipment is. I got rid of an older Paradigm PS-1000 (I think that's the correct model) about 3 years ago, replaced it with a Mirage sub when I got a house. Not much power in the PS-1000 but solid otherwise except below 26 Hz or so. The Mirage was a costly, but significant step up. Then replaced the Mirage with a Paradigm PW-2200. Just bought a used PW-2100 for the back of the room, whoah, too much bass in the HT room now!!! :) Love the PW's.

    Similar situation here. I have two systems for HT/Music. I have a PW-2200 on my "reference" system upstairs and a VTF-2 in my second system. I like what Paradigm has done with the PW's. I believe the reason HSU and SVS get so much praise is their price/performance ratio and customer service, since they are "factory direct". You have to go through more "loopholes" when dealing with local dealers/manufactures (which would be the case with Paradigm, Velodyne, PSB, Mirage, etc...) But they, too, offer great bang for the buck in the "<$1,000" range.

    BTW, which Velodyne sub (under $1K) did you like better than the PW-2200?

    -Luis31
  • 05-19-2004, 10:00 AM
    kexodusc
    Geez, I don't remember if it was the SPL -1000 or 1200, but I'm pretty sure it was the 1200, because I remember discussing the pros and cons of the 12" subs with the salesman...
    Then again, I didn't demo it in my home, and it would have been a couple hundred bucks more, so screw that.
  • 05-19-2004, 11:52 AM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lafferman
    i've found that on this forum if it isn't SVS or HSU then the sub isn't worth anything. but that's just my experience from asking about other subs

    That's because they're nearly impossible to beat for their price.

    Personally, I have neither. My sub budget was $1500, where the Paradigm Servo 15 was clearly the one I liked the best. But if I were looking in the $500 range, I'd probably lean towards SVS.