Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Vintage JBL speakers were good speakers in their day. Todays JBL are for the budget minded and are ok for what they are intended for.
    I wuz just funnin' wit ya. What you said is 110% correct, but I strongly doubt it'll sink in.

Funny thing is, though, that if he's diligent and patient, he could probably score a good pair for less $$ than what he's throwing away on this new crap.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    I wuz just funnin' wit ya. What you said is 110% correct, but I strongly doubt it'll sink in.
    I knew that!!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar
    What also makes think that is interesting is that why alot of people buy old JBL speakers?? Why the newer ones aren't as popular since the newer ones should be built better and more advance tech. Is that mean since the last 10 years JBL has went down hill on there speakers? I mean my dad said JBL speakers are one of the best for music, studio etc. He even had a pair of JBL Control 1 for his home studio.

But eather way I post any question reguarding speakers is since this is a big forum and I assumed that there is someone that know about the speakers I like. By the way the Sonys are a computer speaker so maybe it needs to goto the computer audio forum on this site. Since on the speakers forums it seems you talk about speakers that need a receiver or amp.
    Dallas's Forums

MORE THAN JUST DINOSAURS!!!

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    What also makes think that is interesting is that why alot of people buy old JBL speakers?? Why the newer ones aren't as popular since the newer ones should be built better and more advance tech. Is that mean since the last 10 years JBL has went down hill on there speakers? I mean my dad said JBL speakers are one of the best for music, studio etc. He even had a pair of JBL Control 1 for his home studio.

But eather way I post any question reguarding speakers is since this is a big forum and I assumed that there is someone that know about the speakers I like. By the way the Sonys are a computer speaker so maybe it needs to goto the computer audio forum on this site. Since on the speakers forums it seems you talk about speakers that need a receiver or amp.
    I have a pair of JBL L-110. Like the L-100, they are sought after by JBL fans. They are vintage. The difference from these to the pairs you are looking at is build quality. I imagine sound quality as well but I can't speak to that. They have been lots of fun and I'll never part with them.

I now want some EPI or Genesis. I am quite certain I will be grabbing a pair of Genesis 2 as long as no financial set backs occur in the next little while.

I know you won't even respond to this at all, I'm kind of writing it for the others who are peeking in. Anyone who cares to reply, go for it. I'm hoping that Genesis will be the end of the road for me, with my present gear anyhow.

Ajani
    But it seems like you guys now hate me or something and now I bet you are going to make fun of me more. If that's going to happen then I will not post anymore on this forums. Apparently this forums is not for people who are in a tight budget and want best sound as possible without having a huge amp or system. It looks like everyone here is after the Paradigm speakers or other kinds but not the ones I like. Maybe there is a forum that is for people like me and that would tell me what they think about the speakers I have and not compaire them to something like Paradigm speakers. Also you guys probley have more money and income and also you guys are older so you you just have those huge over $1000 systems but me NO.
    I recently purchased a pair of powered pro audio speakers for $400. They sound excellent for the price. There are many good sounding, small, active speakers available that you can afford. You are just not interested in finding them. You just want to obsess endlessly about Sony and JBL. That's why forum members dislike you. You don't want our advice about ways you can get great sound for your budget and space requirements. You just want us to help feed your obsession.

You've been on this site about 5 years and I don't think I've ever once read where you've actually auditioned a pair of speakers that a forum member suggested to you. So why should we like you? You don't listen and you don't respect any of our opinions.

Two brands you can check out that make good quality, small, powered speakers in your price range ($80 - $400) are M-Audio and Audioengine. But I'm willing to bet you won't even consider either of them and will instead post more crap about JBL. Bose and Sony...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    You've been on this site about 5 years and I don't think I've ever once read where you've actually auditioned a pair of speakers that a forum member suggested to you. So why should we like you? You don't listen and you don't respect any of our opinions...

..you won't even consider either of them and will instead post more crap about JBL. Bose and Sony...
    Yeh mahn, battymahn a bloodclot fi real!!!

But either way I post any question regarding speakers is since this is a big forum and I assumed that there is someone that know about the speakers I like. By the way the Sony's are a computer speaker so maybe it needs to go to the computer audio forum on this site. Since on the speakers forums it seems you talk about speakers that need a receiver or amp.
    JBL is not the same company that they used to be. Different people are running the show now. Instead of using modern technology to create better sounding speakers, they have used that tech to create speakers that are cheaper to build and therefore put more money in their pockets. The result is that we get cheaper speakers instead of better speakers.
    That said, the JBL E20 or Venues are better than what you have used in the past. But you could get even better speakers for about the same cash if you are open to new brands. Others here have a wealth of information that you could use to find speakers that sound better than anything you've ever heard for close to the amount you are looking to spend. But you have to be open to their suggestions. If not, then their knowledge goes wasted, and so does your money.
    Each time you have switched speakers, you have been wasting money. Look how much you are looking to spend on those Sony speakers that you already had and sold at $40. That's a waste. If you had stuck with them to begin with, you may have saved up enough to have much better speakers by now. But now you want to do the same thing all over again. The people here get frustrated that they can't help you. They want to see you get nice speakers for the money you do have available. But you are so focused on getting Sony, JBL or (God forbid) Bose, that you don't listen to anyone's suggestion to get another brand. These brands will make you happy if you give them a chance. And they won't cost you any extra. All you have to do is listen and stop wasting money on changes that don't do you any good.
    I hope that you do not think that I am being mean to you. I want to help you. Let us all help you.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Okay SVI, here's the deal. The Sony's suck, so do the JBL's you are so stuck on. Others have given you some recommendations but you ignore what they say. If you are going to ignore our advice why do you ask for it? Most of us have been around for a while and have an idea what sounds good and what doesn't. The advice you are given boils down to what we would buy with our own money.

As for Bose speakers, they suck even more than the Sony's. Bose speakers are overpriced pieces of crap!!!!!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Well I did really decide that I want the Sonys from now on since I liked those the most out of all of them. Anyways why is Bose bad? I mean when I listen to the MusicMonitor they did sound good too with alot of bass like the Sonys I ordered. But I guess it maybe true that $400 for the Bose is too high but maybe if they sell them for like $200 or $300 at most it would of been better. But there could very well be something that makes them expensive by how they are built. But I guess If Bose isn't good then it was good that I got the Sonys instead. I know I will enjoy these speakers when they come.

When they come I will let you guys know how I think they sound but since I use to own them I do remember they sounded the best to me with alot of low end.
    Dallas's Forums

I mean when I listen to the MusicMonitor they did sound good too with alot of bass like the Sonys I ordered.
    Have you ever heard a pipe organ in person? In particular one with at least a 16' stop that can play 32 hz? (much less a thirty-two footer capable of 16 hz) The Sonys are utterly incapable of even suggesting a low "C" pedal. By comparison, all they do is release squeaky gas.

...them I do remember they sounded the best to me with alot of low end.
    You really have no idea. Even my 70s double Advents can reproduce a 32 hz note.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat

You really have no idea. Even my 70s double Advents can reproduce a 32 hz note.

rw
    Was that a 'can' or 'can't'?

Well I did really decide that I want the Sonys from now on since I liked those the most out of all of them. Anyways why is Bose bad? I mean when I listen to the MusicMonitor they did sound good too with alot of bass like the Sonys I ordered. But I guess it maybe true that $400 for the Bose is too high but maybe if they sell them for like $200 or $300 at most it would of been better. But there could very well be something that makes them expensive by how they are built. But I guess If Bose isn't good then it was good that I got the Sonys instead. I know I will enjoy these speakers when they come.

When they come I will let you guys know how I think they sound but since I use to own them I do remember they sounded the best to me with alot of low end.
    I have a suggestion for you. Omaha being a reasonably large city should have one or more higher end audio stores. Take an afternoon and visit a couple and listen to some half way decent sound systems. Since you seem to have no friends or acquaintances with a decent system going to a store is the only way. Until you have heard a decent system you have no idea what good sound is like. This is the only way to convince you since you just refuse to take any advice from those who have much more experience than you. I might also add this is advice you asked for.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

It's awesome you're getting the Sony speakers. They're going to be fantastic. Bose is great too. The haters in this forum just don't get it. There's only three good speaker manufacturers. Sony, Bose and JBL. JBL is the best because my dad has JBL. Bose is 2nd best because my mom has Bose. Sony is 3rd best because my cousin has Sony. They're awesome and they have alot of bass. They wake up my neighbors even when I don't have them on. I'm going to order a set of Bose speakers because I can get a great deal on them on Craigslist from a guy who just wants me to wire the money to Italy tomorrow.

I don't mean this in a bad way but I think we are dealing with a type of O.C.D or P.D.D. here, so I think I'll lighten up.

Hope you enjoy your Sony's!
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I don't mean this in a bad way but I think we are dealing with a type of O.C.D or P.D.D. here, so I think I'll lighten up.

You think?? lol!

You might have a point.

As of late I've been wondering if the stairs don't go all the way to the attic.

markw out

I can say a few times in the past I have went to an audio store in Omaha that sells more higher end stuff than Best Buy. I did listen to the Energy speakers but they didn't have paradigm or others since it was a small store but I mean ya they did sound pretty good but if I was choosing a speaker I would probley go with the JBL Studio Series if I had the money since I remember the floorstading model like the S312 sounded amazing since it was 12in woofer I mean I felt the bass on my legs since it was punchy bass and tight. This was 10 years agao when I listen to them at Best Buy but they were really expensive. The Energy speakers were really pricey too as well I mean like for a small bookshelf speaker they costed like around $300 pair or so.

But eather way for now I will just keep the Sonys and I did already sell the JBL N26 so I don't have those anymore. Maybe in a few years when I have alot more money like $300 or more for speakers then I might look into the Energy speakers. But I still do like JBL alot like the Studio Series from them but as you know they are expensive also and not affordable. I have never really heard of the older JBL speakers like the L series but I always do in back of my head wonder how good they sound compaired to the newer JBL models. I do know that one thing forsure is that since the older JBL speakers are old they won't make parts for them anymore so if something goes wrong then I' am out of luck unless I find used parts from somewere. Plus I think the older JBL speakers cost alot too even used since I remember on Ebay or Craigslist I saw some and they were pricey.

My point is for a long time I will use the Sonys and maybe in the future I will get different speakers to try that's if I can afford them or if I like the sound of them of cource. Since it might end up that I will get another Sonys since I like them alot. But in the mean while I will give a listen to other speakers and see how I think about them. I wish there were more high end audio stores close to were I live but I only know one that is close and they pretty much had only Energy speakers.
    Dallas's Forums

I guess I should of told you guys that I have few years agao been to an higher end audio store but I still did prefer the JBL or the Sonys I ordered. Of cource if I had money I would get the new Studio L Series or so or maybe an older JBL speaker to try but they are very pricey. I' am in a very limited budget so I try to get the best speakers I really want and get the best deals on them. Like I got the Sonys for $197 with shipping.
    Dallas's Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    It's awesome you're getting the Sony speakers. They're going to be fantastic. Bose is great too. The haters in this forum just don't get it. There's only three good speaker manufacturers. Sony, Bose and JBL. JBL is the best because my dad has JBL. Bose is 2nd best because my mom has Bose. Sony is 3rd best because my cousin has Sony. They're awesome and they have alot of bass. They wake up my neighbors even when I don't have them on. I'm going to order a set of Bose speakers because I can get a great deal on them on Craigslist from a guy who just wants me to wire the money to Italy tomorrow.

atta boy!!!

SVI, I am proud of the way you're starting to make decisions for yourself. Your comment, "Since it might end up that I will get another Sonys since I like them alot. But in the mean while I will give a listen to other speakers and see how I think about them", tells me that you are becoming more self-assured and confident than I've heard you in a long time.

You also mentioned, "My point is for a long time I will use the Sonys and maybe in the future I will get different speakers to try that's if I can afford them or if I like the sound of them of cource." Saying things like this encourages me that you are finding yourself able and willing to use your own ears in making decisions and that you are willing to think about things before you buy them or disregard them.

Keep up the good work and happy listening, Spanky!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Ajani

Actually he admitted to some kind of O.C.D. about a year ago (if I'm not mistaken)... It's probably why he has never been banned for trolling (since people can't be sure whether he is really a troll or just has a disorder of some kind)...

Suspended
    O.C.D. or a Psychology major working on his Master's thesis. He seems too dense to be believable? I hope. Plays a good game though. At 24 you'd think his spelling and sentence structure would be better. Too many years texting maybe.

The older JBLs were very good speakers. It seemed when they went mass market, the quality and signature sound went away. We had four JBL Studio Monitors in our A/B room at CBS Tapes (76'-81') driven by either McIntosh, or Crown amps. I'm not sure of the model. They had 15" woofers, horn tweeter w/diffuser and slightly sloped front baffle. They were huge, but hung from the ceiling in each corner for "Quadrofonic" testing. I remember Quad using 8-track tapes. Used to listen to Bachman-Turner Overdrive on them.

BTW Sony has made some very good speakers. Their SS-M Series were very well received. They had a cabinet design similar to the Hales, Artemis speakers with the beveled tweeter area. Stereophile wrote a favorable review of the SS-M9, many years ago. I work for Sony, but except for the SSMs, I was never a fan of their speakers. I feel you should always buy speakers from a speaker manufacturer or builder (wouldn't want to count out smaller companies).

I looked at the SRS-ZX1s on our Family Center website. If your getting them for $197, it's $20 less than our price, but we do get free shipping on everything, even large TVs. From the specs they don't seem all that great. Maybe great bass for a computer speaker, but not so for real speakers. All aluminum case though.

* Frequency Response : 50Hz - 20 kHz
    * Impedance : 4.7 kOhms (Amp)
    * Sensitivity : 78 dB/W/m
    * Speaker System : Bass Reflex, Full Range
    * Output Power : 40W (20W+20W)

This stat jumped out at me.

"Sensitivity : 78 dB/W/m"
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Death, taxes, & SVI.

Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Actually he admitted to some kind of O.C.D. about a year ago (if I'm not mistaken)... It's probably why he has never been banned for trolling (since people can't be sure whether he is really a troll or just has a disorder of some kind)...
    I think he may also have P.D.D which is pervasive developmental disorder. Its a very mild form of Autism spectrum disorder. Many of these people are also OCD. I have a close relative with PDD.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP