• 03-14-2004, 01:12 PM
    newbsterv2
    Ohm MicroWalsh and Walsh Speakers
    After making a previous post that didn't get much attention I happened to come upon, by accident, Ohm's web page. These speakers really seem to be what I'm looking for but I'm not quite sure and would like some feedback from people who own or have extensively auditioned these speakers. I'm basically looking for speakers that have broad frequency dispersion across the audible range. Box speakers seem to get the "width" right but lack "depth". Panels are the exact opposite. From what I've read on the Ohm's they seem to be what I'm looking for. My question is this. I noticed they are ported and seem to have a single somewhat full range driver that runs all the way from 40hz or so to 8khz while there is a supertweeter that handles everything above. Do these speakers do well with voices? Do they have rubbery bass? The thing I love about my maggies is the way they handle vocals as well as having fast bass. Without these 2 qualities I'm totally turned off from the speaker. Thanks for any info.
  • 03-14-2004, 07:19 PM
    acqui
    My parents have the Walsh 5's and I can honestly say, they are some of the best speakers I've heard, regardless of price. Some friends and I also purchased the micros for a friend for his birthday present and they are also very very good with vocals. I think you'll be very happy with the vocals and the fact that they have a 3 month in home risk free trial policy. John Strobeen is also a very nice guy and will take the time to give you an honest opinion when you call him. He actually suggested I go with a Velodyne sub with the Mircos over the subs they produce.
  • 03-15-2004, 04:02 PM
    newbsterv2
    Thanks for the reply, acqui. How would you compare their timbre to let's say a Magnepan MMG? I listen to a lot of classical music and love the way the maggies handle drums and such. The only problem is that they sound like panels making music. They don't really dissapear well. Thanks for your reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by acqui
    My parents have the Walsh 5's and I can honestly say, they are some of the best speakers I've heard, regardless of price. Some friends and I also purchased the micros for a friend for his birthday present and they are also very very good with vocals. I think you'll be very happy with the vocals and the fact that they have a 3 month in home risk free trial policy. John Strobeen is also a very nice guy and will take the time to give you an honest opinion when you call him. He actually suggested I go with a Velodyne sub with the Mircos over the subs they produce.

• 03-15-2004, 05:38 PM
    acqui
    New, I cannot really give you an accurate comparison because I've only listened to the Magnepans once. Based on that however, I'd say you should be more pleased with the Walsh speakers as I've noticed the very same thing with the Magnepans, even though they are excellent speakers.
  • 03-15-2004, 06:11 PM
    newbsterv2
    Thanks for the reply. Do you own the Mirco Walsh Talls or the shorter ones? The talls seem like a good price if they really go as low in the bass as Ohm says they do Thanks again. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by acqui
    New, I cannot really give you an accurate comparison because I've only listened to the Magnepans once. Based on that however, I'd say you should be more pleased with the Walsh speakers as I've noticed the very same thing with the Magnepans, even though they are excellent speakers.

• 03-16-2004, 11:24 AM
    acqui
    I have the talls which I use for music in a separate room. My parents have the shorts and use it as a rear surround to the older Walsh 5's they have. The bass is quite acceptable for the talls, esp in a music system. I think you'd be happy with them but in case you aren't, their money back guarantee can't be beat. Good luck and let me know how you like them if you decide to go with them.
  • 05-03-2004, 10:46 PM
    TheChosenOne
    How is the bass on the Walsh shorts vs talls?

Is the treble extended? How would you characterize their sonics?.....