AR Newbie Registered Member

Oh no! My wife wants rear speakers to be wireless!

Hi - my first post here...
    My wife doesn't want any more holes in the walls, or wires running all over. She accepts that some wires are necessary for the speakers we already have, but no more.
    Are there any wireless skeakers that will at least do an ok job for the rears. I've seen some on the web, but just don't know.
    Thanx,
    Ron

Go home and tell your wife you have good news: divorce is wireless! Sorry bud, but while wireless speakers do exist, they're generally no good, unless you care not about sound quality. Can you bury wire under carpet or anything such as that, under a baseboard?

You can use flat cable and paint it in the same color of the walls, other then that you could buy her new shoes and you get your cable, maybe?
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    You can use flat cable and paint it in the same color of the walls, other then that you could buy her new shoes and you get your cable, maybe?
    Shoes? Maybe.
    Pearls? Most likely.
    Diamonds? Anything you want!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Only thing you can do is just run the wires and do it right. Tell her the wireless thing didn't work out.

Thanx for the answers everyone.
    How thick is the flat cable, what guage, and where can I find it?
    Thanx again,
    Ron

Isn't there a decorative trim that could be used on the wall as a conduit for the wire?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

If you value any facet of home theater performance from your surround speakers, then forget about wireless speakers. You're better off in that case with no surround speakers and sticking with the virtual surround functions on your receiver.

As others have suggested, you can use flat speaker cables that snake along the base boards or underneath the rugs. Some of them are flat as a ribbon, while others are simply low profile. I use a set of low profile Monster cables for my surrounds and they are barely noticeable underneath the rug and the sofa.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=370
    http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=54
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Suspended
    I've run wire both under the carpet and in the baseboards. I installed in-walls in my bedroom and found 14ga speaker wire fit nicely in the small gap between the floor and the drywall.

In my family room where the runs were about 35' I ran 14-4 under new carpet. The installer left a small gap in the padding along the baseboard which worked out fine. I ran it to the window in the middle of the rear wall and ran it up along the window frame then split it and ran it about a foot on either side of the window to the rear speakers. The foot of wire is barely noticable and easier than snaking it up through the wall. It's a long run for 14ga wire, but I haven't noticed in degradation in sound quality.

Forum Regular
    Another option would be to run the wires in the basement. Just drill small holes in the floor at your amp run them across the room in the basement then bring the wires back up again small holes to your rear speakers. If you have carpet you wont even notice the holes. It is easyer then then runing it under the baseboard and lets you run a shorter length of wire.

Thanx all for the replys. I found lots of flat wires with a search. Thay may be the way for me to go.
    Thanx again,
    Ron

Thread Information