NORH 6.9 Prism

Printable View

  • 04-14-2005, 04:59 PM
    rjservatius
    NORH 6.9 Prism
    Does anyone have experience with this NORH or the company? I've seen generally good reviews.
  • 04-14-2005, 05:54 PM
    drseid
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rjservatius
    Does anyone have experience with this NORH or the company? I've seen generally good reviews.

    My father owns the Prism 5.2s (at least I think that is the model #), and I bought my brother-in-law a pair of cheapy 3.0s... Both sound much better than I expected...

    My experience with Norh has been positive on the whole... Very good value and sound, but maybe not the best build quality (irregular finish on the speakers and some other quality issues), and the looks are not to my personal taste (although many others love them).

    All in all, Norh is a good choice. They may have lost some luster over the past couple years as many other Internet direct companies have moved in (some that even I prefer to them), but I think you would be very happy with the 6.9s...

    ---Dave
  • 04-14-2005, 06:06 PM
    ericl
    I had the SM 6.9 (SM stands for "Synthetic Marble") for a while. Not sure how they differ from the prisms other than the cabinets. They were very nice, solid speakers. They sounded really good but I had some issues matching an amp with them, what i had on hand just didn't fit. Seemed like they needed something with some juice to get going - didn't like my tube receiver. then I got my Klipsch Cornwalls shortly afterward in a great deal, and i had to choose between them. I chose the Klipsch.

    I do like Norh though. Michael Barnes started that company and now it seems to be mostly owned and operated by Thais, which is good. I exchanged a few emails with him before I went to Thailand, and he was very nice, really loves the Thai people. I like the funky approach to speaker design too.

    I've been curious about his little tube amps, I'd like to try one with my Cornwalls. I wouldn't mind having those SM 6.9s again either, if i had the space.

    eric
  • 04-14-2005, 06:16 PM
    rjservatius
    I've run a number of speakers by my wife to see what would be acceptable. For example, she had a real adverse reaction to the Ohm Walsh group. I have an outlaw 1050, whcih should drive the NORH's. Do you need a sub?



    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ericl
    I had the SM 6.9 (SM stands for "Synthetic Marble") for a while. Not sure how they differ from the prisms other than the cabinets. They were very nice, solid speakers. They sounded really good but I had some issues matching an amp with them, what i had on hand just didn't fit. Seemed like they needed something with some juice to get going - didn't like my tube receiver. then I got my Klipsch Cornwalls shortly afterward in a great deal, and i had to choose between them. I chose the Klipsch.

    I do like Norh though. Michael Barnes started that company and now it seems to be mostly owned and operated by Thais, which is good. I exchanged a few emails with him before I went to Thailand, and he was very nice, really loves the Thai people. I like the funky approach to speaker design too.

    I've been curious about his little tube amps, I'd like to try one with my Cornwalls. I wouldn't mind having those SM 6.9s again either, if i had the space.

    eric

  • 04-14-2005, 06:18 PM
    rjservatius
    Saw some posts on build problems with the drums. Aesthetics. Haven't seen any complaints of the prisms or the marble and synthetics.
  • 04-14-2005, 07:19 PM
    ericl
    how funny, I also ran the SM 6.9's with an Outlaw 1050. Another unit I miss. THey were pretty good together, the bass very good. I didn't feel the need for a sub, but it was in a pretty small room. depends on how important bass is for you. If you don't listen to any real bass heavy music and don't care about extreme low frequencies from movies, I think you will be satisfied.
  • 04-14-2005, 07:22 PM
    rjservatius
    thanks!
  • 04-15-2005, 06:45 AM
    Worf101
    Lol!!!!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rjservatius
    I've run a number of speakers by my wife to see what would be acceptable. For example, she had a real adverse reaction to the Ohm Walsh group. I have an outlaw 1050, whcih should drive the NORH's. Do you need a sub?

    Man did you ever speak the truth on that one. My ole lady took one look at my vintage Ohm Walsh F's ver.2 and told me that...

    "Pyramids are for egypt, NOT the living room!!!"

    Sigh out went the Ohms and in came the Platinum Audion Studio 3's. Better speaker I must admit but very generic in looks. Interesting you ask about nOrhs. When I first joined this board about 5 years ago you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a nOrh thread or a Swan Diva thread. Man and the threads came hot and heavy. None of this 5 new threads a day crap either, more like 5 threads a minute and hundreds of views an hour.... sigh. But all things must change...

    Da Worfster :cool:
  • 04-15-2005, 11:44 AM
    MomurdA
    Wierd, i just emailed michael barnes about the nOrh diy kits he is selling on his website. He says they come with everything but the drivers, and for 500 i think i may have to try out the 7.0 or the mini 9.0