none shielded woofs

Printable View

• 04-08-2006, 12:23 AM
    audio amateur
    none shielded woofs
    I hear (and know for a fact) that pole piece vented woofers and subs have more air radiating (a hole in the back of the magnet) and thus better voice coil cooling. But if a speaker is magnetically shielded, how can it benefit from this ? (the whole purpose being that the back of the magnet is open, so that the air can evacuate).
    For this reason I'm trying to find some without but it's quite hard. Anybody know of manufacturers that don't shield their speakers?
    Thats why in my search for bookshelf speakers, I am hesitating to get shielded ones. Is there any logic to my reasoning? Am I missing out something?

Any comments appreciated.
  • 04-08-2006, 04:32 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I hear (and know for a fact) that pole piece vented woofers and subs have more air radiating (a hole in the back of the magnet) and thus better voice coil cooling. But if a speaker is magnetically shielded, how can it benefit from this ? (the whole purpose being that the back of the magnet is open, so that the air can evacuate).
    For this reason I'm trying to find some without but it's quite hard. Anybody know of manufacturers that don't shield their speakers?
    Thats why in my search for bookshelf speakers, I am hesitating to get shielded ones. Is there any logic to my reasoning? Am I missing out something?

Any comments appreciated.

Are you looking for a subwoofer that's not magnetically shielded, or just a the driver with a vented pole-piece, and no bucking magnet?
  • 04-08-2006, 05:21 AM
    audio amateur
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Are you looking for a subwoofer that's not magnetically shielded, or just a the driver with a vented pole-piece, and no bucking magnet?

I'm looking for bookshelf speakers who have vented pole pieces (who therefore are not magnetically shielded), or are there drivers which are shielded AND have vented pole pieces at he same time?
    What is a bucking magnet?
  • 04-08-2006, 08:43 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I'm looking for bookshelf speakers who have vented pole pieces (who therefore are not magnetically shielded), or are there drivers which are shielded AND have vented pole pieces at he same time?
    What is a bucking magnet?

A bucking magnet is the device commonly used to "shield" the magnet on the driver that causes interference with TV sets. I believe they can be "vented" as well. To be honest, an vented-pole pieces aren't the end all, be all for drivers, especially bookshelf sized ones. I wouldn't worry about it.