Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular
    Your welcome and success!

EFE

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hi Ed,
    I think it's great that you are still providing this design and updating to deal with the Peerless catalog turnover.
    I can only speculate on Madisound's motives, but if I had to guess why they aren't selling it, I would guess it's because Peerless discontinued 812687 tweeter and they are out of stock...I couldn't find that tweeter on their website.

Forum Regular
    Geeez,
    Brian never told me anything about the tweeter not being available, he just said the woofer was no longer around and sent me the new Seas to work with? Guess I'll have to call him and see if something has replaced the tweeter now, sounds like I'll have to do some more tuning!

I'm having to do the same for my EFE line of speakers, I can no longer get the titanium tweeter I've used for years in my speakers. Why change something when it isn't broken?

Thanks,
    Ed Frias
    EFE TECHNOLOGY Speakers
    Last edited by EFE Speakers; 10-09-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Forum Regular
    Ok,
    Here's the story! Madisound has 32 of the Peerless tweeters still in stock as of today, so anybody wanting to build my newest version better buy the tweeters ASAP! The tweeters are discontinued and when the stock is out they have no replacement.

I was told that they (Madisound) have tried to use a new Seas tweeter (H1189) with my present version of the DIY and found it didn't match well with my crossover, thus the reason why they are not posting the kit as available. They have designed a new crossover using the Seas woofer (H1350) and tweeter (H1189) and claim that it sounds very good. They said they could substitute the AR.com DIY crossover with it, but since I didn't design or hear it I couldn't give my approval.

I asked Madisound to send me the new Seas tweeter and their new crossover and I'll hook it up and do my own tuning and testing to see how it sounds. I will first try to adapt the tweeter to the present DIY crossover and see if it is just a matter of redesigning the tweeter circuit, if not, then I'll take their crossover and approve or disapprove of how it sounds. If their crossover isn't up to my preference, I'll make some changes in it and tell them to offer my revised version as the AR.com DIY design.

Either way, eventually a new AR.com DIY by EFE TECHNOLOGY will still be available when the Peerless tweeters run out! I'll keep you all posted, thanks!

Ed Frias
    EFE TECHNOLOGY Speakers
    efespeakers@commspeed.net

Forum Regular
    For everybody's information!

Since Peerless has discontinued the tweeter for the DIY as they did the woofer, Madisound has designed a new crossover using the Seas woofer (mentioned earlier) and new Seas tweeter, they requested that both be used for the new DIY.

I've just spent at least 16 hours listening, testing and revising their crossover and will e-mail Madisound the results later today. The crossovers they sent me (along with the new Seas tweeters) were overly complicated and really didn't live up to the kind of sound that has earned the DIY an almost perfect "5" rating here at AudioReview.com.

After modifying and actually simplifying the crossovers I can say without any reservation the new DIY will live up to everything the older version was and more. I'm very pleased with these Seas drivers and find them to be very natural sounding when tuned properly! After spending the last couple of hours just listening to various types of music, I'm sure these new DIY's will satisfy even the most critical audiophile, considering it is only a bookshelf speaker.

As with the previous version, I've designed a changeable resistor to attach to the tweeter so the speakers can be fine tuned to individual's various systems. The standard removable resistor that will come with the kit will be a 2 ohm, owners can increase or decrease the value depending on their particular tastes.

Madisound now has new cabinets available for those that prefer to purchase the complete kit with electronics and cabinets.

You heard it here first, even before Madisound gets the news!

Ed Frias
    EFE TECHNOLOGY Speakers
    efespeakers@commspeed.net

Forum Regular

All new AR.com EFE DIY Speakers

I don't know why Madisound is holding up the new version from being posted, but here is a rough schematic and parts list for those that want to build the latest EFE DIY using all Seas drivers. It is a very simple design yet produces the great sound all have come to expect from the previous DIY! Please excuse the rough drawing.

On Madisound's website they offer their own crossover design ($37.65 each) for these two Seas drivers, but I do not recommend it unless you desire an "upfront in your face sound." I thoroughly tested their crossovers and though they measured fine were too unnatural and bright in my personal opinion. The simple design below allows both drivers to produce a more natural sound that I believe the manufacturer meant to have. It is also my opinion that crossover designs should be kept as simple as possible when good drivers are used, this is the case with the new AR.com DIY.

Success,
    Ed Frias
    EFE TECHNOLOGY Speakers

Parts list
    Tweeter - Seas 27TDFC (H1189)

Woofer - Seas P18RNX/P (H1350)

Resistors
    1 ohm 10watt (1) For tweeter (circuit board mounted)
    2 ohm 10watt (1) Removable - attached at tweeter with QC's .
    The 2 ohm can substituted with a 1 ohm (more detail) or a 4 ohm (warmer).

Capacitors
    4.7uf (200-400v) (1) For tweeter circuit

Inductors
    .2mh (20 to 22 gauge) aircore inductor (1) For tweeter circuit
    .9mh (.5 or less DCR) aircore inductor (1) For woofer circuit

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by EFE Speakers; 10-29-2007 at 11:31 PM.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Thanks Ed.

All I can say is that I was so dissapointed when I found that I could not get my hands on this famous DIY. I am in the process of selling off my prized Infinity Crescendo / Kappas to make room for a new HT. I have been comparing my options (B&W 602 S3 & 685, Paradigm Studio 20 V3 & V4, and NHT Classic 3 or even building a sealed 1 cu ft cabinet for the IW4). I really want to get my hands dirty, and this is a great jumpinging point.

Funny, I was actually looking using these drivers by myself prior to your post, based on Zaph's driver comparison. On paper these look like a fantastic speaker. I will call Madisound today and order the components.

We are all in your debt.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bcass
    Thank God I finally found you guys. I had been involved in this EFE Speaker kit conversation in 2005 when I thought I was ready to build them, but I wasn't. Now I am. :-) I am so relieved to hear the kits are available again at Madisound, and with new drivers too, nice.

Has anyone drawn up a CAD or other picture of the speaker cabinets that I could work from? I'm a visual guy and pictures are much easier to work with for me. Also, is there a link somewhere to help with how to laminate or veneer the MDF?

Thanks!
    Bryan
    Here I am following up to my own post. :-)

I'm ready to buy the parts to put 4 of these DIY speakers together. Does anyone have a materials list to build the cabinets? I have Ed's instructions on the cabinets already (but will it fit the new Seas drivers?) but it would be nice to see pictures and cutting diagrams and how to glue them together and all that stuff. Has anyone done this?

Also, I wrote to Madisound today and am getting a quote on all of the hardware needed. I don't think they sell the kits yet - or will at all?

Thanks!
    Bryan

Forum Regular

Red face NEW DIY Craze!

Hi Ed,

You may not remember but you helped me(as you have with countless of your "followers") with the AR.com original.

Well, it was time for a new DIY when I came across this thread. I'm in CANADA and This woofer is not (or not yet) available on this side of the line. Is it replaceable with another SEAS woofer in the RNX line? Even with slight variants in the Wfr crossover...(long story, short: crossborder duty hassle).

If you think it would be worth it for me, then I can just get a pair from Madisound.

Also, is that Crossover about at 2kHz? For use with the .5 ft3 enclosure?

thanks,
    Migs

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by mbkfab
    Hi Ed,

You may not remember but you helped me(as you have with countless of your "followers") with the AR.com original.

Well, it was time for a new DIY when I came across this thread. I'm in CANADA and This woofer is not (or not yet) available on this side of the line. Is it replaceable with another SEAS woofer in the RNX line? Even with slight variants in the Wfr crossover...(long story, short: crossborder duty hassle).

If you think it would be worth it for me, then I can just get a pair from Madisound.

thanks,
    Migs
    Migs,

I'm not Ed, but why not just order it from Madisound? Ask for shipping by anyone but UPS and the brokerage charges won't be too bad. USPS is my preference. They might charge you $5, that's it.

Forum Regular
    Hi Ed,

thanks,
    Migs
    Hi Migs,
    Switching a driver in a pre-designed speaker is like switching a carburetor from one engine to another without tuning it! Sometimes in a 3 way speaker the woofer can be substituted with something a little different and it might work out ok, but in a 2 way speaker where one driver is handling both the low and mid range frequencies, it is critical that driver be substituted with another having the same exact parameters.

A good sounding speaker as a whole is the sum of all its parts being matched together well, change only one part and you change the whole. When you only take this step (of building a pair of speakers) every so many years, what's a few dollars more one way or the other for the joy they bring you in the long run? I say go for it!

Success,
    Ed Frias
    EFE TECHNOLOGY Speakers

Forum Regular
    Hi Ed,
    thanks,
    Migs
    Yes, the crossover point is at 2K.

Has anyone built the speakers yet?

Thanks,

Ed Frias
    EFE TECHNOLOGY Speakers

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by EFE Speakers
    Yes, the crossover point is at 2K.

Has anyone built the speakers yet?

Thanks,

Ed Frias
    EFE TECHNOLOGY Speakers
    I'm about to start, Ed. When I get my tax return money, I'll buy the drivers and hardware from Madisound. It sounds like it'll be about $100 per speaker. Then I'll get the MDF from Home Depot and start cutting! :-)

I may do a pictorial step-by-step of building it, since I can't seem to find anything like that on the web. It would sure help a visual person like me!

Thanks,
    Bryan

Forum Regular

Cutting MDF???

Hey Bryan,

I'm glad to see you enthusiasm on this. However, from experience, I have some advice for you on the Cabinet segment of this project.

Since you're waiting for you tax return to come back, why not just consider the finished boxes at PARTS EXPRESS (no, I don't work for PartsExpress.com). By about the time it takes for your return to be in your hands, the "FREE SHIPPING" deal at PE may be back again. They have this offer about twice a year.

For about $75/box (Shipped to your door during the promo) you can have an extremely presentable professionally made speaker box. You couldn't come up with something like this for less (time & money-wise). I've done it a few times and have NEVER been disappointed. I've since purchased 4 of the Curved-side type...WOW!

Check it out

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=302-720

Migs

Forum Regular
    Since you're waiting for you tax return to come back, why not just consider the finished boxes at PARTS EXPRESS (no, I don't work for PartsExpress.com). By about the time it takes for your return to be in your hands, the "FREE SHIPPING" deal at PE may be back again. They have this offer about twice a year.
    Thanks, Migs! Those are nice-looking cabinets. But I was really looking forward to making my own, actually. I like building stuff -- birdhouses, bookshelves, fishtank stands... so I figured this project would be fun too. I'll try it first, and if I turn out with a paperweight instead of a speaker box, I'll consider the prebuilt ones.

The only question I have is how to drill out the speaker holes, how to build decent grills, and how to finish the MDF to look good.

Bryan

Edit: Now that I look at this cabinets more closely... they really are nice! But are they the right volume/size for Ed's design? Hmmm... you're almost convincing me to spend the $$ on them instead of building my own. But shipping for 4 of them is $45 for me, wow! When do they usually offer free shipping again?

I also need to build a subwoofer for this 4.1 system as well. Have you built that yourself before? I want to make it look 1940's-ish.
    Last edited by bcass; 02-13-2008 at 07:52 AM.

Forum Regular
    I looked a little closer, and also emailed Ed, and it looks like this is the cabinet that's closest to Ed's design, volume-wise:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=302-710

It's .38 cu ft and Ed's design is about .374 cu ft. Close enough. So I think I can use the same port tube size of 2" ID by 6" long, and about 1/4 lb of polyfill per speaker.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-387

I also picked out these terminals:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-302

Now we just have to wait for free shipping, because it would be about $50 to ship 4 of these sets to me!

Forum Regular

Cabinet Opinion

In my experience a .5-ft3 will do just fine. Use a 1.5"ID x 4" flared port, you'll be just fine. That'll tune it at about 38-40hz. Plus, you get a nicer glow in the Mid-bass region (IMO). Certainly, when I asked Ed about it, (with all due respect) there was no objection. Although, there was no confirmation either (my version of "between the lines").

To make the driver cut-outs: If you still don't have a Jasper Circle Jig, get one! I myself mulled over that decision for over a year. That was just a waste of time. I tried using one of those Roto-Zip-Style cutters. Geez, what was I thinking.

I have more things to say about this jig, but I'll save it for when asked.

For Binding posts: Please use these
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1250

When you get the speaker Cabinets in from UPS, you won't wanna use anything less. TRUST ME! These cabinets are first class. Those terminals are for your run-of-the-mill particle board type boxes.
    Last edited by mbkfab; 02-15-2008 at 04:19 PM.

Forum Regular
    For Binding posts: Please use these
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1250

When you get the speaker Cabinets in from UPS, you won't wanna use anything less. TRUST ME! These cabinets are first class. Those terminals are for your run-of-the-mill particle board type boxes.
    Are these posts the ones that they say the cabinets are pre-drilled for?

I can't wait to get my tax return money so I can get started... hurry up IRS!! :-)

So, this is what I have ready in a cart to order from PartsExpress.com:

Contents of Shopping Cart
    Part Number In Stock Description Qty. Price Ext. Price
    004-1 Yes Dayton DNR-1.0 1 Ohm 10W Non-Inductive .. $0.98 $7.84
    004-2 Yes Dayton DNR-2.0 2 Ohm 10W Non-Inductive .. $0.98 $3.92
    004-4 Yes Dayton DNR-4.0 4 Ohm 10W Non-Inductive .. $0.98 $3.92
    091-1250 Yes Dayton BPGS-25G Binding Post w/1" Threa .. $11.33 $22.66
    260-120 Yes Crossover PC Board 2-Way 12 dB .. $6.80 $27.20
    260-302 Yes Gold Plated Speaker Terminal .. $2.95 $11.80
    260-317 Yes Acousta-Stuf Polyfill 1 lb. Bag .. $9.00 $9.00
    260-387 Yes Port Tube 2" ID Adjustable .. $2.39 $9.56
    255-024 Yes Jantzen 0.20mH 20 AWG Air Core Inductor .. $2.54 $10.16
    255-246 Yes Jantzen 0.90mH 18 AWG Air Core Inductor .. $6.55 $26.20
    302-710 Yes Dayton TW-0.38BK .38 ft³ 2-Way Cabinet .. $64.77 $259.08
    Subtotal: $391.34

And this is what I have ready to order from Madisound.com:

Product(s)	Qty.	Total

27TDFC (H1189) Textile dome 4 $140.60
    P18RNX/P (H1350) 7" Poly Cone Woofer 4 $271.00
    4.7μF PX Range Polypropylene Capacitors 4 $15.40

Sub-Total: $427.00

Forum Regular

Talking PE Binding Posts

Hey Bryan,

These binding posts (PE# 091-1250) are the bare minimum you can use. So YES, they will fit. However, I stopped using them after trying out the larger ones. To make them fit, all need be done is use a larger drill bit (3/8", I think) on the existing holes. This will give it a snug fit to screw into.

Check out these Binding Posts:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=091-624

I use these for its beefy, high-end look. The Satin-Nickel finish just looks plush (IMHO). Sure it's a bit more money. But you get what you pay for.

Also, I have used this SEAS H1189 Tweeter in about 5 projects. With speaker grills on, my friends (also enthusiasts) were treated to blind demos of 2 other projects using the same woofers. This tweeter was vigorously voted for 4/5 times, CONSISTENTLY. I'll spare the typical audio-speak terms & phrases used to describe, but they were genuine due to the blind testing method.

Forum Regular
    OK people -- I'm not going to pay $60 for binding posts for my 4 speakers! And then you have to buy this plate to go with them??

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=091-600

Really, how much difference in practical sound quality can a binding post make? Maybe I'll just go back to those cheap, $2.95 ones (260-302) I had at first.

Forum Regular

Smile PE binding post

Well, truth be told the binding post you use will NOT make a difference in sound. At least NOTHING you can distinctly hear. You're right. Not an iota. Unless your a highly sensitive, finely tuned NASA calibre measuring instrument!

I guess it was an attempt to qualify my opinion of the cabinets. I just meant to say that the finish is of such high quality, you may want to use appropriate type binding posts (cosmetically, at least).

Either way, good luck. Please post here the results of your project.

Forum Regular
    Well, truth be told the binding post you use will NOT make a difference in sound. At least NOTHING you can distinctly hear. You're right. Not an iota. Unless your a highly sensitive, finely tuned NASA calibre measuring instrument!

I guess it was an attempt to qualify my opinion of the cabinets. I just meant to say that the finish is of such high quality, you may want to use appropriate type binding posts (cosmetically, at least).

Either way, good luck. Please post here the results of your project.
    Hehe... OK, will do. Now if I can just get my income tax refund to get here soon, I'll be all set.

Forum Regular

EFE DIY Project

I am new to this forum, and just found this project. I am very excited to build this myself!
    Has anyone completed this new version?

What are your results?

HAs anyone built a comlimentry sub to match this project?

Cheers!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rlust
    I am new to this forum, and just found this project. I am very excited to build this myself!
    Has anyone completed this new version?

What are your results?

HAs anyone built a comlimentry sub to match this project?

Cheers!
    You're asking the exact same questions I am! I'll let you know if I get mine built first -- I'll race ya! I plan on taking pictures as I go, so I should have at least some of the step-by-step done, although I'm not building my own cabinets.

But regarding a subwoofer, I would like to make one of those after I finish the 4 bookshelf speakers. I have no clue how or if you have to match it to the rest of the speakers. I would love to hear any input on that. Here's a thread in this forum on subwoofers... maybe this will help.

DIY Sub

Forum Regular

Speaker Build has started

Sounds fun!
    I ordered my parts today.

I am building my own cabinets. I started building tonigth. The cabinets are going to be solid cherry.

I will take pictures during the process also!

I hope the results meet my expectations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information