Forum Regular

Really need some newbie help

So the setup nad c370, klipsch rf82's and a Velodyne cut 15 (which is the issue) So my nad c370 and the speakers with out sub hooked up work fine, however when i add the sub in the mix speakers still work great but the sub is boomy (i know but its a sub)lol well I have to turn the volume all the way up on the sub as well as pretty much half way on my nad to get any base going, what the issue I have the sub hooked up via speaker levels speaker wire s into the sub then speaker wires out of sub to speakers, of course the speakers work fine when hooked up this way buy the sub should be making my ears bleed at these levels and this is a second hand sub i bought last night and it did seem to work when first hooked it up been then i changed my wires to longer ones 5 ft all same length then the base seem really low almost muffled sounding. is the issue the sub or the amp?

First off double check all your connections and make sure you do not have the positives and negatives crossed. Make sure that you are using the subs internal cross over. I have a Velodyne CHT-8 sub and have it along with the speakers hooked up directly to the speaker outputs of my amp instead of piggy backing the speakers off the sub. Also check the phase switch, you may have the sub and the speakers out of phase, this will give a muffled or lower bass.

As far as the boominess of this sub. The CHT series were really made for home theater use. The bass can be really boomy if the sub is set too loud. The bass can also be a bit sloppy at times. It certainly is no match for my magnepan speakers but it does failry well with my PSB B6's. A sub should disappear and not really be noticed until the music calls for bass and then it should blend in and just fill in the music. I set my subs at 40hz ( this depends upon how low your speakers can go) and turn the volume down till I can barely notice it and then a notch lower.

Placement of the sub also matters. If placed near a corner the bass will be louder and have more boom.

I hope this helps some and fixes your problem, otherwise the subs amp may be bad.

Here is a link for the subs manual if you don't have one-

http://velodyne.com/pdf/cht/cht-15_manual.pdf
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Another thing to consider, the Klipsch are very efficient, I haven't looked at your sub to see the amp size but it will need to be large to keep up with the Klipsch.

Thread Information