<New Toy>: Brines Acoustics FB-20

It always happen out of nowhere.
    Got them from a local guy off of Audiogon this afternoon. Very nice gentleman with lots of very cool gear. Impressions to follow...

Have Fun,
    JRA

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    It always happen out of nowhere.
    Got them from a local guy off of Audiogon this afternoon. Very nice gentleman with lots of very cool gear. Impressions to follow...

Have Fun,
    JRA

JRA looks very interesting. Let me know how the single driver experience is for you.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

They gotta be the biggest pair of bookshelves I've been seen in a while.
    FE207E certainly play well on acoustic music as expected, but not so much on beats based tunes. Kinda reminds me of Maggies, but much more forgiving on musical genre.

Hey JM, I heard Ascends CMB-170SE for the first time today. Pretty good little speakers. Nothing spectacular but does lot of things right.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    They gotta be the biggest pair of bookshelves I've been seen in a while.
    FE207E certainly play well on acoustic music as expected, but not so much on beats based tunes. Kinda reminds me of Maggies, but much more forgiving on musical genre.

Hey JM, I heard Ascends CMB-170SE for the first time today. Pretty good little speakers. Nothing spectacular but does lot of things right.

JRA the CBM 170SE became too forward for my tastes. The MoFi OML 1's certainly kick them in the butt. In the new apartment the OML 1's sound even better. I am sure the OML 1's will be around for many years more.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Brines are singing extremely well right now.
    I pulled out an old CD and it's throwing out massive sound stage.

Phonograph 2 - DJ Smash

Bass is defintely less "In your Face" compared to my Tylers, but I believe Brines plays slightly lower. Perhaps Taylo Ref's lower end rolls off sharper than FB-20. Who knows.
    Midrange comes out effortlessly with smooth highs.
    I had always had impression that Single-Driver speakers produced piecing highs, but the FB-20 sound very smooth in that department. The Brines don't extend as high as Revelator tweets, but that's not the reason why I'm toying with SD speakers.

I haven't quite figured out what kind of music work with this pair, but they certainly do not assist poor recordings. If anything, they devour inferior recordings such as independent hiphop.

Have Fun,
    JRA

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I haven't quite figured out what kind of music work with this pair, but they certainly do not assist poor recordings. If anything, they devour inferior recordings such as independent hiphop.
    Given your musical tastes, it doesn't sound like them badboys will be around long no matter they're advantages. In any case, half the fun is in the experimentation and the learning.

Have fun H=Dawg...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Here's where we've been out of touch, Bob. I've been listening to alot of Classical, and am enjoy it tremendously. Hiphop stays in my car and at the office. Musical catalogs dominate my Home-Fi.
    Plus, I have no desire to sell the Tyler so I can always blast some obnoxious tunes when needed.

In any case, half the fun is in the experimentation and the learning.

JRA

Hi Hiro,

It's been a while

congrats with the Brines, they definately look interesting!
    How are they with voices, btw?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    Hi Hiro,

It's been a while

congrats with the Brines, they definately look interesting!
    How are they with voices, btw?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Hey Bert,

How have you been? I feel like I need to be back here more often. Work has slowed down quite a bit, but looks like it's going to get picked backup this summer.
    But more importantly, I'm quite impressed with Brines or should I say the Fostex FE207E.

They are more forward on higher midrange than Tylers, so voices sound different. Tyler sounds more balanced, but lacking at times when requested to be dynamic. Brines seems to have no restriction but then again I only have 40 wats to offer.

I'm not going to tell you this is the last pair of speakers I'll ever own... That'll just be my stupidity talking from excitement of a new toy.
    How about this...
    "I am hearing things that I haven't heard before"

Just kidding.

JRA

Here's where we've been out of touch, Bob. I've been listening to alot of Classical, and am enjoy it tremendously. Hiphop stays in my car and at the office. Musical catalogs dominate my Home-Fi.
    Plus, I have no desire to sell the Tyler so I can always blast some obnoxious tunes when needed.

Well, I was about to type something smartass and then realised the hypocrisy. I too do the "Hip-Hop/electronica in the car and the 'real music' at home" dealio...hopefully you can enjoy the oft-well-reviewed Fostex for some time before your attention is again diverted...

They sure look puuuurty Mr. Ammo. I hope they sound as good as they look!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    hopefully you can enjoy the oft-well-reviewed Fostex for some time before your attention is again diverted...
    Mr. Bob,

I keep my speakers 10 times longer than you keep your girlfriends. I hope to post another toy by this Christmas.

Warm Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    They sure look puuuurty Mr. Ammo. I hope they sound as good as they look!
    Thanks Joe,

I was honestly toying with an idea of getting a pair of Acoustat 2+2 before Brines. I decided I should get a house or bigger apartment before bringing such bohemoth pair.
    I wish all is well on your ends.

JRA

If you go that route the Spectra 44 or 4400's are the way to go. They're the same size as the 2+2's with Acoustats last and best technology. With that said I've been seriously thinking of a pair Apogee's, Mini Grands or Studio Grands. The Mini's are more available and have a much more reasonable price so they're the front runners.
    Hell! I just may get some Maggy's and forget about everything but the music.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Hiro, some fine speakers you picked up there. I really enjoy my single driver speakers in the second system. They should play well with your EAR. How do find that amp? Looking forward to an update.
    Anyway hope you're keeping well. Enjoy the tunes.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    If you go that route the Spectra 44 or 4400's are the way to go. They're the same size as the 2+2's with Acoustats last and best technology. With that said I've been seriously thinking of a pair Apogee's, Mini Grands or Studio Grands. The Mini's are more available and have a much more reasonable price so they're the front runners.
    Hell! I just may get some Maggy's and forget about everything but the music.
    Thanks for the heads up, Joe. I will definitely tryout some panel speakers once I get a house. That'll be a while. Can your modded Hafler drive Apogees with sufficient authority?
    Mini Grands look to be an incredible buy if you can find one in NE area.
    Come on man, you've been talking about buy a pair for years now. Why not pull out the shiny card and go for a drive to Goodwins Highend Audio?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Hiro, some fine speakers you picked up there. I really enjoy my single driver speakers in the second system. They should play well with your EAR. How do find that amp? Looking forward to an update.
    Anyway hope you're keeping well. Enjoy the tunes.
    EAR and Fostex pair up nicely.
    I believe EAR was a perfect choice for me.
    Pure Class A power without much limitation on choices on speakers.
    I think you can relate.

I was thinking about going with Pathos Logo cuz I wanted to tryout a pair of Dynaudio Special 25 or C1, but now that I got Brines, I currently have no desire to switch out the amp.

Peace,
    JRA

Thanks for the heads up, Joe. I will definitely tryout some panel speakers once I get a house. That'll be a while. Can your modded Hafler drive Apogees with sufficient authority?
    Mini Grands look to be an incredible buy if you can find one in NE area.
    Come on man, you've been talking about buy a pair for years now. Why not pull out the shiny card and go for a drive to Goodwins Highend Audio?
    I'm not sure the Haflers have enough current drive capacity to drive them properly. Funny you should say that about Goodwins. I have to go to a neice's wedding next Friday (6/12) in Springfield MA. Goodwins isn't to far away relatively speaking.

Things always show up at the wrong time. I just bought a new bicycle. It's a Time frame with a full Campy grupo. I've got to pay for it first.

It's been a while since I've played this. I think the last time I played this CD was back when I experimented with a pair of Triangles.
    Brines has similar sharpness and agility I liked from the Comete ES with convincable bass.
    I have yet to hear Totem Mani-2, so it's hard to say, but Tony Williams drum solo on track 5 showed Brines can keep up some of the better monitor speakers. ES207E will not pound you with bass, but never ignores or gives out on low notes.

Brines will stay here for a while.
    JRA

Mr. Bob,

I keep my speakers 10 times longer than you keep your girlfriends. I hope to post another toy by this Christmas.

Warm Regards,
    ...me too...

...jackass...

Thread Information