• 06-27-2009, 02:20 PM
    Arcenon
    New speakerset (big speakers xD!)
    Hello people of AR,

I am looking for a way to upgrade my current HT/Music installation.
    I currently have a Yamaha RXV-663 Receiver + a pair of Jamo 506 Tower loudspeakers.
    I am searching for ''big'' speakers, for example the Infinity C360 centre with his 15kg. I wanted to buy this but unfortunately the centre is available but the matching pair of speakers (infinity beta 40/50) aren't available in my country :(. Does anyone know any speakers like this? So a ''big'' and good center + nice pairing towers for around 500 euro's?.

I simply want big speakers because I think they 1. look better and 2. probably will sound better xD.

Anyone any recommendations?
  • 06-27-2009, 06:57 PM
    markw
    A few minor details are missing here.
    We don't know what speakers are available in your country. For that matter, we don't even know what country you're in.
  • 06-28-2009, 02:47 AM
    Arcenon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw
    We don't know what speakers are available in your country. For that matter, we don't even know what country you're in.

Hehe, I live in the Netherlands. And if you know some speaker models that will suit me just name them, I can still order them from stores in other countries if that's necessary.
  • 06-28-2009, 03:57 AM
    basite
    if you've got Jamo fronts, you should go for a Jamo center. This because the tonal character of the sound needs to be preserved (you don't want things sounding different going from left to right...)

and how big is your room? 'big' speakers need their space, although I wouldn't call something weighing 15kg's a heavyweigth...

keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 06-28-2009, 04:15 AM
    Arcenon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by basite
    if you've got Jamo fronts, you should go for a Jamo center. This because the tonal character of the sound needs to be preserved (you don't want things sounding different going from left to right...)

and how big is your room? 'big' speakers need their space, although I wouldn't call something weighing 15kg's a heavyweigth...

keep them spinning,
    Bert.

That's my exactly what I am trying to say. If you can find me some speakermodels so (fronts, surrounds, center) that are big and heavy and sound good ofcourse I will sell my current Jamo pair. Don't get me wrong the Jamo pair sounds pretty good especially for their price (250 euro's, so around 300$ xD) but I just want a ''bigger'' sound and ofcourse bigger speakers look tougher :devil:. My current room isn't really big I would say +- 16m2. But I am planning to keep the next audio set for a long time, so for future ''bigger'' rooms aswell. My current room is relatively some for some real big speakers but I enjoy having some bass so it should be ok.

I basically want this: 2 fronts for use in ht and in music (music will be played stereo), so some musical fronts,
    -Center, a big ass center to play in HT but it has to match the fronts. (''musical isn't really required I guess)
    -Surround, I really don't know what's the point in having ''big'' surrounds because a year ago I used to do 5.1 with using some Roth Audio oli3 towers and I can't really understand why this has to be big or even be in the same series as the front and centre because there isnt really going that much output to the surrounds xD any clarification?

And this all got to match my receiver: yamaha rxv-663, natural sound. Just name me some good speakersets that will do to my aspections, even if they are slightly over my budget. Second-handed is ok too!

ps Reading back my list of ''wants'' i realise i'm a difficult customer ^^, but i hope you guys can help me out a bit.
  • 06-28-2009, 09:17 AM
    JoeE SP9
    Although big speakers may look better to you, size is not related to quality. You should go to some local dealers and listen to what is available. That will give you a better idea of what you want.
    As others have already said, in a multi-channel setup the speakers should all come from the same manufacturer. If you want the best sound from 2 channel get a stereo preamp. Run it in bypass mode when playing MC material. That way you can run the front channels of MC sources through the bypass. The preamp sections of most HT receivers leave a lot to be desired especially when used in 2 channel mode.

I get the impression that by bigger sound you mean more/better bass. If that's so, get a good sub or better get 2.
  • 06-28-2009, 10:56 AM
    basite
    Being really big indeed doesn't nessecarily mean that it's good, although size is a factor, it's not the only one.

I'd start building a HT system slowly. I'd save for a better set of fronts, and get a matching center too. You could get the center now, and learn to live with the difference in sound between the fronts and the center, and get new fronts later on. Then you could use the Jamo's as rears...

Do not, however, underestimate the value of a (good) subwoofer in a HT system. so look into that too later on.

as for what to do now, it's up to you to decide what to do. I wouldn't suggest buying 'some' center now just because it's big. If you'd buy a center now, I'd look for a high quality one, and get a pair of matching fronts later on.

Some brands to look at: Monitor Audio and B&W. The monitor audio Silver RS series, and the B&W 600 series are excellent for their price, and I'd consider those a big upgrade over what you have now...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 06-28-2009, 11:58 AM
    Arcenon
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will be looking for a nice subwoofer later. But first the speaker quest.
    I just found this from a hifi dealer:

http://www.rogershifi.com/ENG/spec-LS613.php

The LS 603 (Floorstanding Speaker) in combination with RC 450 (Centre & Surround Speaker) for 535 euro's. The retailprice was 1800euro. Is this is a good deal? Anyone familiar with Rogers hifi? Does it ''match'' with my yamaha so not too bright?
  • 07-18-2009, 06:04 AM
    Arcenon
    Well I have recently bought a pair of Wharfedale 9.6 and I am very happy with those. However I noticed in surround I don't hear the difference between speakers. So the sounds from the surround effect in my ear goes from left>center>right all in the same sound. So I don't have to have all speakers from the same set.
    I am currently using my Jamo 506's as rears and my 9.6 as fronts. And i am still using my yamaha center. The next thing I want to upgrade is the center. Who knows a good one? With a big sound? I found the Beta C360 but unfornuatly they aren't really available in my country. Anyone knows a sort-like center?
  • 07-19-2009, 07:23 AM
    basite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcenon
    Well I have recently bought a pair of Wharfedale 9.6 and I am very happy with those. However I noticed in surround I don't hear the difference between speakers. So the sounds from the surround effect in my ear goes from left>center>right all in the same sound. So I don't have to have all speakers from the same set.
    I am currently using my Jamo 506's as rears and my 9.6 as fronts. And i am still using my yamaha center. The next thing I want to upgrade is the center. Who knows a good one? With a big sound? I found the Beta C360 but unfornuatly they aren't really available in my country. Anyone knows a sort-like center?

congrats on your purchase! hope you'll enjoy them :)

For a center, I would recommend the Wharfedale Diamond 9.CM, which matches the wharfedale fronts.
    Enjoy the new set :)

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 07-21-2009, 06:35 AM
    Florian