AR Newbie Registered Member

def tech bp 20: how to test for buying used?

Hi all! I am new to the forum. I just started hooking up my new Onkyo 5007. I have def tech mythos 3 center mythos gems for surrounds and mains< and a supercube 1 at the moment. I have come across a deal for a few bigger, older def tech speakers. Here is what I am looking at:
    BP 20 pair
    BP 10 pair
    CLR2000
    Powerfield 1500
    All in original boxes and in supposed excellent condition for $1200. Is this a good deal? I have read all the reviews of these speakers and everyone seems to rave about the sound quality. I think these would be a good upgrade to compliment my new Onkyo. My question is what do I need to check for with these used def techs? Should I take an ohm meter with my old Nakamichi amp to test them? What resistance should I be looking for, or is that over kill? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidingTheShaft
    Hi all! I am new to the forum. I just started hooking up my new Onkyo 5007. I have def tech mythos 3 center mythos gems for surrounds and mains< and a supercube 1 at the moment. I have come across a deal for a few bigger, older def tech speakers. Here is what I am looking at:
    BP 20 pair
    BP 10 pair
    CLR2000
    Powerfield 1500
    All in original boxes and in supposed excellent condition for $1200. Is this a good deal? I have read all the reviews of these speakers and everyone seems to rave about the sound quality. I think these would be a good upgrade to compliment my new Onkyo. My question is what do I need to check for with these used def techs? Should I take an ohm meter with my old Nakamichi amp to test them? What resistance should I be looking for, or is that over kill? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome to AR!!! I can't comment on your speakers value but...

Take extra care and time to carfeully set everything up. Locate the speakers optimally. Put on your favorite CD/vinyl, pull up a chair to what you figure is the rooms sweet spot. Turn your listening level just above normal of what you would listen at....

(Listen, Listen, Listen)

Congratulations, you've just participated in the world's greatest and most important test. It's called your own 2 ears! I'm not being sarcastic or ignorant here. If those speakers sound better, good or whatever your requirement is, I would say you've got what you need.

I would add to what Poppa said and I would at least take a look around each cabinet and also take the grills off and make sure that the drivers have not been damaged or changed to something lesser than the origionals. I had a friend buy some used boston Acoustics speakers from a "guy needing money real bad" and bought them without doing this and when he brought them to me because they did not sound the way his fathers did when his father owned the same model in the early eighties. Come to find out that the woofers were changed out and cheap jensen woofers were shoe horned in the cabinets with no regard for this driver working with the speaker. I know that if you listened to the speaker you would kow if something major was done to them but taking a look at every driver in the cabinets just gives you that piece of mind of knowing what you are getting.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Good point harley, I think overall, for 1200 bucks, there's no way a nickel is leaving my wallet unless I'm certain about everything. This is the pain of buying used.

Thanks for the responses. The new Onkyo has really emphasized my need for some decent mains. The Mythos three center is overpowering the gems by a huge amount. I will go check these def techs out and see what the actual condition of them truely is. I think the bp series will be a drastic improvement over my current setup.

For $1200, I would rather buy new speakers. How old are the BP20's? Doesnt that design date back to 1990? I would be concerned about the drivers rotting and being able to replace the drivers.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

The seller stated that he bought them new in 1994. The bp20s are the older version of the bp30s. The only difference is that def tech changed the crossovers and put an aluminium tweeter vs the bp20s silk dome tweeter. I will definitely check for dry rot. I would not buy them if they showed any signs of that. I don't think that I could match the quality of these 6 speakers for $1200 if they are in excellent condition.

Thread Information