AR Newbie Registered Member

Joseph Audio Perspective on Cover of Stereophile

Nice to see Joseph Audio getting some press. A few weeks ago, I changed my speakers from the Aerial 7t to the Joseph Audio Pulsars on the custom Sound Anchors stands. I was dumbfounded at the performance of the speaker. The clarity and presence in the midrange was exemplary and, in this regard, they clearly bettered the 7t (in my room). Vocals were more solidly defined and the speakers simply disappeared. Could the bass be deeper - sure. The room I have them in is 26x13 with a 9 ft celing. Bass is more than adequate and is seemingly audible down past the claimed frequency response. After auditioning for a little over a week, I was loving what these speakers did - the midrange was warm and clear. Think tube midrange with solid state bottom end. They're that good. Soundstage is wide and imaging is spot on. In a nearfield configuration they are extremely precise, but never fatiguing. I tend to like farfield listening and it gives up a little in precision imaging, but the presentation is more like a live performance. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with either configuration.

Regrets - only that had to move them to make room for the Perspectives. The jump in price is not insignificant, but these were the first speakers that immediately compelled me to spend more of my hard earned money on their bigger brother. I ordered a pair of Perspectives to run along side the Pulsars to do an in-home comparison.

The Perspectives arrived and I placed them where the Pulsars were. I immediately noticed a wider soundstage and instruments/performers seemed to have a more solid presence in the sound field. I will need to wait until they break in before fully assessing the bass response, but from what I can already hear the bass performance is leaps and bounds above the Pulsars. The funny thing is that with the Pulsars I never really felt I was missing too much bass, which is a testament to how good the Pulsars are. Dynamic range is markedly improved as well. I snapped a few photos with my phone:

Pulsars in their original far field listening positions. The second set of tape marks are for setup using the Cardas method of speaker placement.

Here is a comparison of the Pulsars on the recommended custom Sound Anchor stands next to the Perspective. I was surprised that the Perspective was actually smaller than the Pulsar on the stands.

Finally the Perspectives in the same space as the Pulsars. I may make minor adjustments. One thing I did notice is that raising the front of the speaker, as recommended in the manual, made the speakers completely disappear.

I'll keep everyone posted as the break in process continues - although I have a feeling there will be a set of Pearls in my future If that happens there will probably be a period of time when all three speakers are in the room.

Anyone wanting to listen and compare them would be more than welcome to stop by.

FWIW, associated equipment is an all Bel Canto suite - DAC 3.5VBS, REFLink, VBS-1, REF500M monos and all Cardas Cabling. My dealer may be lending me a set of Theta Prometheus Monoblocks and a Gen VIII DAC to audition with the speakers as well.

Suspended
    Very nice, and Joseph speakers are definitely not discussed enough and are very nice.

Beautiful room, thanks for sharing.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Welcome and beautiful system.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Welcome and beautiful system.
    Thanks - I've actually been reading the site since 1998 - for some reason I never started an account. The Josephs are really special - I'm itching to get Pearls in the room, but I'll probably need to upgrade the amps.

Charm Thai™
    Holey moley saxguy that room looks so inviting, very vey nice. I have absolutely zippo experience with Joseph Audio and would love to hear the Pulsars someday. My only gripe is the black front baffles. Why in the world would JA make beautiful finished side panels then make the most visible part of the speaker plain ole black? For that reason alone they would never be on my buying list.

I have no idea. It does make the speaker look smaller than it actually is. Funny thing is that you can get them in all black or all white, too. Personally, I like that fact that with the black facing you only see the copper accents and magnesium drivers.

Charm Thai™
    Just read the Stereophile review of the Perspectives and they sound like they must be pretty awesome. Lookin like a good choice sax!

I know the drivers he uses are Seas drivers which are very good drivers. I believe they are the seas excel drivers or some custom version of them which are excellent. And from what I have heard his cabinets and crossovers are first rate

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Hello Saxguy
    I followed your thread regarding your time with the Joseph Audio Pulsars
    and your replacement to the Perspectives. I am kind of in the same boat.
    Two years ago while attending the CES I was quite taken by the Perspectives
    which Jeff was demoing. I ultimately decided on the Pulsars with the Sound
    Anchor stands since I planned to place the speakers in my den which is
    approx. 12'X13'. I have never regretted my purchase of the Pulsars as the
    sound is
    everything I could ask for in monitor speakers plus they are very wife
    friendly.

Now I can't help wondering what I have given up in terms of a wider sound
    stage, depth and imaging. The Pulsars throw a fairly wide stage but I
    suspect
    the Perspectives would improve on that feature. I also love a sense of
    depth, air and resolution of instrumental passages.

The Joseph Audio dealer near me is presently out of the Perspectives but is due to receive a new demo pair next week.

Do you still have your Perspectives and how would you best compare them to
    the Pulsars? How are you enjoying your Perspectives?

Thanks,

Skipper Jay

Quote Originally Posted by skipper jay View Post
    Hello Saxguy
    I followed your thread regarding your time with the Joseph Audio Pulsars
    and your replacement to the Perspectives. I am kind of in the same boat.
    Two years ago while attending the CES I was quite taken by the Perspectives
    which Jeff was demoing. I ultimately decided on the Pulsars with the Sound
    Anchor stands since I planned to place the speakers in my den which is
    approx. 12'X13'. I have never regretted my purchase of the Pulsars as the
    sound is
    everything I could ask for in monitor speakers plus they are very wife
    friendly.

Now I can't help wondering what I have given up in terms of a wider sound
    stage, depth and imaging. The Pulsars throw a fairly wide stage but I
    suspect
    the Perspectives would improve on that feature. I also love a sense of
    depth, air and resolution of instrumental passages.

The Joseph Audio dealer near me is presently out of the Perspectives but is due to receive a new demo pair next week.

Do you still have your Perspectives and how would you best compare them to
    the Pulsars? How are you enjoying your Perspectives?

Thanks,

Skipper Jay
    I think the Perspectives would work well in your room, given the size. I liked the Perspectives and thought they were great performers until I brought a pair of KEF Blade 2s into the room and realized there was a great deal missing. Everything about the Blade 2 was better - soundstage width, height and depth. Not just by a small margin - everything was well outside of the physical room boundaries. Tonality was better, as was inner detail. Imaging was tighter and had more weight. Finally, bass response was far superior with the Blade 2. Granted, they are more expensive, but send me a PM and I can put you in touch with someone who can maybe get you into a pair for less than you think. I wouldn't hesitate to grab the Blade 2 if you have the means - there's a reason they were Stereophile's component of the year.

Nice setup you've got there. Hows it looking now?

Thread Information