New speaker system ....

Printable View

• 08-20-2011, 01:49 PM
    LeRoy
    New speaker system ....
    Went to Austin,TX a couple of weeks ago to shop for a Rel Subwoofer. Not only did I pick up a Rel R-528... I also came home with a new pair of mini monitors, System-Audio Aura 1, $650/pair, new demo, Ebony finish.

SA aura 1

I love these little tykes and along with the Rel sub they form a musical delivery presentation that I can now really enjoy and relax to.

The SA Aura 1's have a musicality that satisfies me even as a stand alone speaker without the sub and I will be saying goodbye to the Canton 403's in short order.

The SA's have an incredible tweeter and the overall integration of high to mid range is excellent. Of course they won't slam in the bass area but the bass that they do produce is tonally correct, plays on time with the rest of the music, and there is pitch definition in the bass notes as well.

Acoustic bass sounds woody and electric bass sounds like it should...female vocals are glorious and no doubt the SA has one of the best tweeters my ears have ever heard regardless of price or brand. Brass instruments sound as they should and are presented without any brass bite.

I knew I had to buy these speakers only after about 5 minutes of auditioning them in the audio shop. Many years ago I regretfully passed up on the original Linn Kan, ML Sequel ll, and I can't afford the Reference 3A Episodes....so I could not keep adding to the list of passed up speakers.

IMO, when the SA Aura 1's are mated with the Rel sub then the combination rivals the SQ of the Episodes....but for a lot less money.

I think I am through shopping for speakers for a very long time but of course will always be willing to listen to those that I've not heard before. :)
  • 08-20-2011, 09:47 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Sometimes it's better to let go of the cash. The less regrets the better.
  • 08-21-2011, 04:34 AM
    LeRoy
    Hello JoE SP9,

Ya, the Rel was not inexpensive but I simply could not pass up on the SA. I had recently been comparing monitor speakers of different brands along with a Rel Storm lll sub and using that combination against some floor standers. In the end, I always wound up preferring the monitors plus sub combination. So, I had to get to it. Your'e right though....letting go of the cash led me to a much more musically satisfying experience.
  • 08-23-2011, 10:09 AM
    frenchmon
    Congrats my man...so you think they are as good as the Reference 3A tweeter?
  • 08-23-2011, 04:11 PM
    LeRoy
    Thank you.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Congrats my man...so you think they are as good as the Reference 3A tweeter?

Yes, I do believe the tweeter on the SA does rival the tweeter on the Episodes.

Just going from memory...I think the Episode has a little more "air" and the super tweeter does extend slightly more than the SA tweeter. However, I think the SA is equally detailed and can project the high end with delicacy too. Taking the price difference into account....the SA speaker is quite amazing, IMO.
  • 08-24-2011, 03:48 AM
    frenchmon
    Is there a dealer there? I went to the web site and it does not list a dealer in the USA?
  • 08-24-2011, 04:47 PM
    LeRoy
    There is an SA retailer in Austin, TX
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Is there a dealer there? I went to the web site and it does not list a dealer in the USA?

Residential Audio and Video Installations Texas

I know the SA website does indicate that they have no distributorship in the USA and the individual dealers have to contact SA directly.