Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    This is what got me started in OB and I've read it several times.

Gravity Well Of A DarkStar

And after 1,403 posts and 6 1/2 years this thread is still alive.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    A neat thing about OB and FR SD is that you can often swap drivers with just a screw driver. Lots of 8 inch drivers fit the same hole. Many DIYers just make a simple universal "supra baffle" which they swap in and out when they want to try something different. Imagine doing that with commercially built monkey coffins with complex crossed over multi-drivers. While many folks spend countless anally retentive hours in an attempt to hear some micro difference in cables I can drop in a new driver and bingo it's like night and day. A hobby to me is one that's flexible and dynamic enough to afford change without going bankrupt. If I had to live with one system and never change or modify it, I'd be looking for a new hobby. I know there must be lots of frustrated audiophiles who are only held back by a fear of following their imagination.
    IMO, that is the strongest point in favour of most of these OB designs... If you enjoying changing the sound, it can be done quite easily...

A simple OB design with a cutout for a 15" woofer and 8" FR gives you numerous options for switching out drivers... I think the addition of an active crossover (even if the learning curve is steep) makes it all the more flexible...

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    This is what got me started in OB and I've read it several times.

Gravity Well Of A DarkStar

And after 1,403 posts and 6 1/2 years this thread is still alive.
    Thanks for the link...

I'm sure it will be useful when I eventually put on my "mad scientist coat" and start building...

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I will have a pair of Visaton NoBox BB in home in few days. If anybody is interested in impresions please leave a note here. Old but proven OB design.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information