Thread: New project

New project

Well I have been thinking about putting together a small inexpensive 2 channel setup for the living room. We don't use that room much, but when we have large family gatherings and other large groups it gets used. Flooring is oak (fake, not the real stuff), the room is apprx 17' wide and 50' long sloping ceiling with a large open area near the front door/stairs. I wanted floorstanding speakers (just looks more elegant). So here is the list of items that will be in the setup:

Emotiva mini-a-100

Fluance SX HTB

Squeezebox classic

the amp caught my eye mainly for its ability to go into suspend/sleep mode until it gets a signal from a source. The amp will be place behind a piano out of sight. The speakers are not my first choice, but fit my budget and were the only ones I found that closely match the flooring (key element to keep the wife happy). The Squeezebox is my old one that I replace with the Transporter and a no brainer for this setup as I won't need any other device for playback, this is mainly for backgound music.

total cost= under $400

The speakers should be in next week and the amp is on back order. I may put out a little more cash on some nice cables for the speakers, but we'll see. I will update this in about a month to post my results
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Forum Regular

Greetings from Raj J

Hello Folks, it's been a while formally known as Raj J, I had to regsiter as a new user because my previous login details were not working correctly. Anyway, after a long earned vacation I have finally managed to save some bucks and went full on with another set of speakers, monoblocks and new source from Walker Audio.

I managed to get hold of a carefully used pair of Wilson Alexandria's series 1, with Lamm Monoblocks, and a Walker black diamond series II truntable. I paid for the 3 items lock stock and barrel, excellent deal from a very trusted mate, who upgraded those very three items to the next model. I could afford the matching Lamm preamp since that was actaully the most expensive out of the lot, hence I am currently using my conrad johnson ACT2, which is as good.

The sound is absolutely glorious, live natural and with full impact from a live event. Based on musicality and finesse, I still prefer my Quad ESL 2905's as I could listen to these on endless hours especially after midnight.

The Alexandria's take time to warm up, after about a good half hour, they start to kick in. The impact is awesome & epsecially on percussion and bass, the Quads cannot match that! Bass & low notes are not over exaggerated unlike many other high end systems I have heard. The Wilsons will reproduce whatever you drive them with, and with Lamm monoblocks single ended 80 watt amps, the finesse is top notch! The Wilsons match quite well with the Lamm and Walker audio truntable, but seem to match better in sonics plus musicality with the conrad johnson + Quad combination. The Walker audio + Lamm + Quad sounds ok, but cannot match the just sounds right combination of c-j.

I guess I am used to that conrad johnson laid back sound which is typical c-j golden glow. Whereas the Lamm doesn't have anything of that. Lamm will take the music with viceral grip and drive virtually any speaker with full authority and control. If the drum whack is supposed to sound like a drum whack, it certainly will off the Lamm's + Wilson's. dam fine performance indeed!
    Now I am heading home early to enjoy the music once again with a few minor additions to the system. The Nordost upgrade in cable and interconnects did make a difference afterall.
    I was trying to take a photo of my new Wilson system with the Lamm and Walker audio, but this forum doesn't allow pictures any more for some reason...

By the way: to recovery one; you have a nice system going there, enjoy it as much as you can. don't worry about what the critics say about japanese or mass market brands, just enjoy your music.
    cheers, RJ

Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

thanks for the links, but I have an old EQ if tone issue come up to add with this amp. The main selling point for me on this amp is the sleep mode. The amp will be out of the way behind a piano and I don't want to have to move that piano just turn it on and off. I have a Pioneer 411 VSX in the garage all boxed up if I only wanted any amp to run these speakers. This project is more on the anesthetic side than quality of sound. The only thing people will see is the speakers and the Squeezebox that will be sitting on top of the piano. Believe me I wanted to go with a pair of Polk Tsi 300's, but they only come in cherry or black. The would have just stood out like sore thumbs and momma was not going to go for that. Our livingroom is more of a show room than what the title of the room is (nobody is allowed to hang out in that room) it should be call the guest room for that is the only time we use it is when guest come over...LOL and the rule in our house is your a guest on your first visit, after that your on your own. You get moved to the family room...LOL

thought it was just my system, but the pic sre still not coming up, I try again.:

Last edited by recoveryone; 01-25-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

The speakers came in today, I will do a unboxing vid and post it here, to bad the amp is on back order till late February

Fluance SX HTB FR - YouTube

Sorry about the background noise in the house, daughter was doing laundry.

Here's pic of the EQ:

I check ebay and this thing still sales between 30-60 bucks, I brought it new back in 85 for $95
    Last edited by recoveryone; 02-01-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Update, I did not feel like waiting on Emotiva, since they could not give me a hard ship date, I pulled the trigger on this Integra AMD 2.1

HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Thread Information