Forum Regular

New foam for older sub-woofer

I posted this earlier today on MdisonSound forum but no response. It looks like this is the active forum for good advice.

I need to refoam my old 1970's Phillips 12" subwoofer. It is an awesome sounding speaker, especially when playing Saint Saens Organ Symphony.
    I see there are kits out there to refoam but am wondering how difficult it is to do and how easy is it to screw it up?

I built a coffee table to hold the subwoofer in a sealed box, the subwoofer points down to the floor. It makes the whole house shake when the organ kicks in! At least it used to.

Forum Regular
    I think I'd measure the hole the driver comes out of and install a new one. I don't see any way a 30 year-old driver will compare with even a mediocre modern one. Especially with regards to a subwoofer. If you found Madisound already, you are shopping in the right place. Add PartsExpress to your list. The Dayton "Reference" series drivers are outstanding, that is what I use.

What kind of amp is driving that woofer? That could be an issue. Sounds like a whole DIY project in the works???? Seriously, take a look at the some of the subwoofer projects guys have done.

As far as refoaming, it is not that hard. In the past, I found local guys in the pro-sound industry to do it. The kits are easy enough, too.

jocko

Thread Information