new amp need help...

Printable View

• 01-09-2015, 01:33 PM
    trick11
    new amp need help...
    :nonod: Hi

I have just acquired a Linn LP12 turntable and a sony STR-313 Vintage amp and I'm really unsure which speakers I should be looking at to compliment both, I can't really house very large floor standing but would be open to suggestions, needs to be quality of course, any help appreciated....
  • 01-09-2015, 03:39 PM
    blackraven
    First of all, what is your budget, what type of music do you like and how big is your listening area?

That Sony receiver is a nice one. It is 25wpc so if you want to listen loud you will need some efficient speakers with a sensitivity of 90db or higher and probably with a 6-8 ohm rating.

Here are some nice pictures of the Sony-

Sony Stereo Receiver Model STR-313L

With out knowing your budget and room size, these Focal 807V's would be a good choice for your receiver-

Focal Chorus 807 V Bookshelf Speakers (Pr) at Music Direct

As would these-

MartinLogan Motion 35XT Bookshelf Speaker (Each)-Audio Advisor

I haven't heard either of these but I have been able to listen to similar earlier models and liked them.

I have heard the Paradigm Mini Monitors and like them-

Paradigm® | Bookshelf | Classic Collection
  • 01-11-2015, 12:33 PM
    Mr Peabody
    The LP12, nice, and Sony is an interesting combo with the LP12 being a long standing high end classic turntable, you don't typically see them matched to receivers.

You should look at the Golden Ear, I think it's the Triton 7, a passive speaker with a suggested retail of $1500.00, it may push your limit for space though, they do have a monitor as well. Look at the Zu Audio speakers which are high efficiency and easy for the Sony to drive. You could use a small set of stand mount as well and add a sub. The sub would have flexible placement in the room.

Welcome to AR