upgrading my 5.1

I was thinking going with Klipsch HDT500 to replace my old Sony 5.1, retail is $599, I have an Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver.

Any thoughts?

Chicago IL
    It should be a good upgrade

Suspended
    is that dollar figure pretty much your budget? Klipsch can make some good products, if it is in the budget you may be better off with some entry Reference series. Either way try to listen to the Klipsch, the horns aren't for every one. You should listen to some other brand as well before buying. Maybe Energy, NHT , Jamo has some really attractive prices online, Epos if can be found, even Infinity or Polk. See what you think of the Martin Logan, Motion series.

Yes $600 pretty much is the budget, the Klipsch HD500 can be purchased for $425-$450. I want to stick with small speakers which knocks out the reference series.

I am also considering the Bose Acoustimass 5.1

How does the Bose compare to the Klipsch, other than price?

I have been doing a little research and am thinking of getting separate speakers instead of a kit for the 5.1. This speaker system is basically going to be my Christmas present from my wife so I am in no hurry.

What are the opinions here on Behringer B2030P for the 2 pair of left and right?

Suspended
    Klipsch will give a dynamic presentation and sound more similar to what you might hear in a theater. Bose to me sound like the high end is rolled off and the sound a bit muted. You should really listen to both if you get a chance. I own some Klipsch and like what they do. The sound is a bit different from most other speakers, more of a live sound, some love it and others don't. To be honest I personally find for the money Bose costs it's easy to find other brands that blow them away in sound quality.

I have no experience with Berringer speakers. I'm not sure if Best Buy shows Magnolia on their website but if so take a look at the Martin Logan, Motion series. I think you can put the smaller ones together in your price. I heard the floorstanding model and liked it.

Hey cyto, I'm going to listen in on this thread.

I've been thinking about getting a 5.1 (6.1, 7.2, 9.8, whatever) system.

Good luck.
    Philips GA312/ Stanton 681EEE/ Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata ===>>|
    Yamaha DVD-S2700 CD/SACD/DVD >> MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha CDC-765 CD 5 disc >>==== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    JVC TD-W709 Cassette >>======== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha RX-797 Receiver -------------------------------------+
    Sennheiser HD650 Head phones <<===========================<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<L############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##L<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<R############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##R<<|

I ordered 2 Infinity P152 speakers to replace the front right & left and an Infinity PC250 center channel. For the time being I will use the Sony satellites for surround and rear and use the system as a 6.1

Now I am looking for a subwoofer but I cannot spend more than $400 after tax/shipping

Suspended
    Did you look at www.emotiva.com ? No tax and you get a try out period. The 12 is $399.00 and the 10" is less. I have the Ultra 12 and it's good.

You are really bringing the system up. Let me know how the Infinity sound. I haven't heard anything by them in a while.

It looks like the 12 is $599, the 10 is $289

http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub12.shtm

Suspended
    Looks like the price went up, for that kind of money I would pick up the SVS, www.svsounds.com entry cylinder sub. The Emo is good but I have my doubts it is SVS good. You shouldn't go any smaller than a 10" driver. Off the top of my head I'm not aware of many good subs in the $400.00 range.

Any opinions on the HSU?

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

I read some reviews on Amazon about the Infinity PS212 burning up amps, any experience with that?

Suspended
    The HSU would be a great choice. Amazon reviews are from users, supposedly, so if you see a trend amongst the reviews I'd tend to believe it. The Emo 10" wouldn't be bad either.

I have decided to go with HSU, now the question is:

STF-2 or VTF-1

These are the 2 best that I can afford

If there really an advantage to the variable tuning?

Suspended
    I didn't notice the variable tuning, what does it do? If it's a crossover you most likely won't use it with home theater application. The best way is to bypass the sub's crossover and let the receiver do that job. Most subs today have a bypass switch. If it's some type of EQ, honestly, unless you have the proper equipment or a darn good ear it probably wouldn't be worth it either.

from the HSU web site

Variable tuning allows you to switch the bass characteristics on-demand. Choose between lower extension (‘music’ mode) or higher headroom (‘home theater’ mode). Subwoofer designs involve tradeoffs – one cannot optimally design a subwoofer to play low deep notes, and at the same time play loud. Usually the designer chooses a tradeoff for you. With the VTF series, we let you, the user, have uncompromising control at home.

Suspended
    OK, my SVS has something like that. I don't think it is a big deal unless using it for both music and movies. I set mine for best HT set up and haven't moved it. It basically lets you select how low you want the sub to play. HT goes up to around 100 Hz, on mine the lower the sub plays the more difficult it is for it to reach close to 100 Hz and it may not seem as loud.

Still haven't got a sub yet, the Emotiva Ultra 10 can be had for $289 with no shipping charge.

The HSU STF-2 comes to $388 with shipping.

Is the HSU $100 (35%) better than the Emo?

I can get a Polk Audio PSW505 shipped for $250 but I am concerned about it not being tight..

Suspended
    I think either the Emo or HSU would be worth the difference over the Polk. I haven't heard the HSU but they have an excellent reputation. I believe both offer a money back trial. If the HSU is ported I'd tend to lean that way for the possible additional output.

I looked up the contact info on Emo and they are 15 miles from my house, i am going to see is I can hear one before I buy.

I also seen that they are made in China, from their web site:

Please note that for export and customs purposes, the country of origin of all Emotiva products is China, unless otherwise specified.

Should I be concerned about that?

Suspended
    Don't be worried about China, many U.S. designers have their gear built in China. Well, actually more gear is built in China than not. That is very cool you live so close to Emo, I bet they would be glad to let you check some gear out.

I visited Emotiva today

The folks at Emotiva were VERY nice, put on a nice demo of the ultra 10 in their "demo room" which was full of awesome equipment. I got an Ultra 10 and it is great, my wife gave me permission (Ok I admit it) to get another one so I can run dual subs. I am going to call them tomorrow for that.

This is a very tight sub with plenty of power, for me anyway. I am getting a second one, while they are on sale, to enhance the home theater aspect.

Suspended
    You'll be rockin'

Thread Information