Forum Regular

Planar guys, need a little help :-P

I am going to be moving shortly, and have a slight problem...

I have room for my maggies, but am going to have an issue with the placement. The left speaker will be about 3-4 feet from a corner, while the right speaker will not be near a corner, but still the recommended distance from the wall.

The side wall will for all intents and purposes be in the null point of the speaker. But being they are a dipolar design, I believe that sound will be reflected off the wall, into the corner, and back to me from the left side.

I am afraid this will not work to my advantage to put it mildly.

I have never tried an arrangement in a room like this, and do not want to end up with a sonically worthless sound system.

I called Magnepan, but the tech support team is at a trade show this week.

This does not need to be resolved for several weeks, but am just looking for some good advice..

My thought

Quote Originally Posted by compaqguy
    I am going to be moving shortly, and have a slight problem...

I have room for my maggies, but am going to have an issue with the placement. The left speaker will be about 3-4 feet from a corner, while the right speaker will not be near a corner, but still the recommended distance from the wall.

The side wall will for all intents and purposes be in the null point of the speaker. But being they are a dipolar design, I believe that sound will be reflected off the wall, into the corner, and back to me from the left side.

I think you're analysis is probably right. To minimize the reflection from the left wall, some sort of sound treatment is called for. I suppose there are various options depending on your decor, e.g.
    • Purpose-specific sound absorber/defuser panel
    • Wall hanging, e.g. oriental carpet, or drapery
    • A bookcase with assorted books and nic-nacs
    • A tall plant placed against the wall

Thread Information