Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Dammit! Leave my speakers alone!

What is it about dust caps or dome tweeters that compel morons to punch them in?!?

As I sat down last night, I noticed the tweeter on my left main speaker looked a little funny. Now, unlike the mid bass and bass drivers which are covered by black grills, the tweeters on my speakers have a metal screen cap that covers them so you can still see the dome very clearly. Unfortunately, what I could clearly see was that someone had removed the metal cap and punched in the aluminium dome!!!

Here's what get's me: Someone had to intentionally do this. It's physically impossible to push the dome in without removing the grill first. It's just too stiff. I know it wasn't my boys because they know the rules of the house, one of which is leave Daddy's speakers and rig alone, a rule they adhere to very well. I decided early on that trying to figure out who did it would be a waste of energy. There's simply no reason. Blaming someone won't negate the fact that I had to order a new diaphram from B&W this morning. At $100, I was somewhat relieved as I thought I would need to replace the entire transducer, and Lord knows I'm in no rush to discover the replacement cost of a Nautilus tweeter! Apparently, the diaphram can be detached from the motor structure and once it arrives with the schematics, I'll get my first shot at speaker repair. Oh, boy.

End rant. You may now return to your normally scheduled programming.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    $100 for the diaphram....ugh..Dunno what to say about that...****ty.

Been down that road before though. One goofball friend of mine punched in the tweeters on a pair of my speakers because "everyone knows they sound better that way".

I wanted to punch his face in. I can't even imagine where that "tweak" originated from? A white van probably...

Speedy, is it possible to push the dent back out?

That's just not right! Can't people see that these things are not meant to be poked?

Sorry to read about your speaker's fate Top. Don't worry, it will be ok soon.
    Have you tried to pull it out yourself? I know that tweeters can be a little tougher than larger drivers.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Mutant from table 9
    Yeah, I've only had success pushing soft dome tweeters back out, and only where the diaphram was fully removable. (Boston Acoustic) This is why I like tweeters with fixed plastic guards. Also I only take my grills off when I'm the only person around.

The saddest thing I ever saw was a pair of Dane towers with the tweeter completely pushed in. It was again like someone had to work at it.

Don't you guys know the rule? "You're not allowed to have nice things." That rule grows exponentially as you get married, have kids, ect. We have been babyproofing the house over the last few months and I've given up on proofing my LP collection. They are all clean, so I guess I'm just going to let him have at it. He's lucky I love him. I did the same thing to my father's collection.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

I would try to "pull" it out with a piece of tape first. I have done this in the past with dust caps, not sure if it would work with a dome tweeter tho.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

it's a shame people do that...

I mean, they know they don't have to push drivers in. You don't smash people's cars too don't you? and at a shop I know these things can happen (at least, at a large shop, not at a specialized hifi dealer), there's always some small kid that likes to push things, but at people's homes???

anyhow, I know there was this trick with a vacuum cleaner, but it was only for soft domes I think... I don't think you can do anything about metal/aluminium/other hard stuff domes, exept for taking them off and pushing the dent out from behind...

Good luck...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    What is it about dust caps or dome tweeters that compel morons to punch them in?!?
    I think it's the same gene that compels people to touch something when it has a "wet paint" sign on it or, in a more extreme case of the nasties, when someone, for no reason, keys the entire drivers side of a brand new car, as was done to my two-week old Hyundai elantra in Bayonne.

But, you're right. When I worked for the Shak, it was impossible to leave the grilles off the speakers. It wasn't just kids, either.

I do fine it hard to believe that someone had the audacity to remove protective grilles in order to poke yours, though. Someone musta really been jonesin for a pokin there.

One of the reasons why i use 4 cameras in my home. One for the entry, one for each balcony and one for the Grand room.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    One of the reasons why i use 4 cameras in my home. One for the entry, one for each balcony and one for the Grand room.

Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Yeah, I think FloJo's got the right approach. Seriously. I mean I think you're handling it in a very mature manner if one could be sure it was confined to a single instance. How's about one of those babysitter spycams? Have you questioned the maid? Colonel Mustard?

And for the record it is a sad state of affairs that some people just gotta piss in evryone else's Wheaties.

Na, see you guys, I have a sitter for my dog while i am at work. I have two balconys and in this room alone are close to 200k worth of ****. From the outside you can see the Grand, most people dont know what it is, but they can see the huge projector etc.. In this neighborhood with many bars and pubs around, i just dont trust anyone. I work hard for my stuff and the person be damned who ****s it up ;-)
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Forum Regular

Sorry, I'm a bit confused...

... it's not like there are thousands of people running through your house, correct? Jimmy doesn't get it... within a certain time frame, you must know the finite number of visitors.

Also - are you POSSIBLY underestimating the power of kids? I don't have any first-hand experience, but I have heard stories :*)

I try not to let little crap (especially after 9.11) like this bother me, but it does! Hey... you worked for it and you want it in nice shape.

Doesn't bother me SO much anymore, but yeah, I know whatcha mean B^)

Forum Regular

tweeter dome

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed

As I sat down last night, I noticed the tweeter on my left main speaker looked a little funny. Now, unlike the mid bass and bass drivers which are covered by black grills, the tweeters on my speakers have a metal screen cap that covers them so you can still see the dome very clearly. Unfortunately, what I could clearly see was that someone had removed the metal cap and punched in the aluminium dome!!!

Here's what get's me: Someone had to intentionally do this. It's physically impossible to push the dome in without removing the grill first. It's just too stiff. I know it wasn't my boys because they know the rules of the house, one of which is leave Daddy's speakers and rig alone, a rule they adhere to very well. I decided early on that trying to figure out who did it would be a waste of energy. There's simply no reason. Blaming someone won't negate the fact that I had to order a new diaphram from B&W this morning. At $100, I was somewhat relieved as I thought I would need to replace the entire transducer, and Lord knows I'm in no rush to discover the replacement cost of a Nautilus tweeter! Apparently, the diaphram can be detached from the motor structure and once it arrives with the schematics, I'll get my first shot at speaker repair. Oh, boy.

End rant. You may now return to your normally scheduled programming.
    I see tweeter domes pushed in all the time in stores like best buy, I wonder how they ever get them sold in that kind of shape.
    Last edited by s dog; 11-04-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Suspended
    Were they pushed to the point that they no longer worked? Though the cap is pushed in most tweets still work. Look like hell, but work.

Csi...

I would treat it like a crime scene and get some prints....someone's gotta pay for that kinda abuse...I mean, while it might be a $100 repair, it's like keying someone's car....you just don't do that.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    This happened to a hi-fi shop in Cincinnati, they were telling me how they walked around one day and suddenly realized every speaker except those with metal grills over the tweeters, and the Focals with the inverted tweeters, were pushed in.

Actually, iirc, some of the metal grills over the tweeters had been pushed in too.

My totems have no grill, fortunately it's in my bedroom so they should be pretty safe.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Imbeciles are drawn to shiny things. They just have to walk over and touch it. I had a pair of Celestions with metal dome tweeters and during an open house you would be surprised at the number of people who walked toward the tweeters with their fingers aimed at the dome.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Imbeciles are drawn to shiny things. They just have to walk over and touch it. I had a pair of Celestions with metal dome tweeters and during an open house you would be surprised at the number of people who walked toward the tweeters with their fingers aimed at the dome.
    It's too bad there isn't away to wire the metal domes so they pass an electrical current so when they are touched, they give out a zap.

Nothing like the smell of a little burned flesh (their own) to wise one up.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    It's too bad there isn't away to wire the metal domes so they pass an electrical current so when they are touched, they give out a zap.

Nothing like the smell of a little burned flesh (their own) to wise one up.
    Hell, just put an electric mat in front of the speakers...hmmmm let see... 1000 volts be enuf???

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Hell, just put an electric mat in front of the speakers...hmmmm let see... 1000 volts be enuf???
    That depends. How many Amps are you going to use?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    That depends. How many Amps are you going to use?
    Depends on the resistance of the d!ckheads biological matter....We'll try to keep it to around 10 milliamps..don't wanna kill anybody Ya Know..on second thought........

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Depends on the resistance of the d!ckheads biological matter....We'll try to keep it to around 10 milliamps..don't wanna kill anybody Ya Know..on second thought........
    Maybe a couple of nice strong caps.
    Kazzzzzzap! Pop.

Oh, where'd you get that hair style?

Hmmm....now that you mention it, I do know a retired EE that can probably make that mat in exchange for a 6 pack of Heineken...

I can always count on you guys for a good laugh! Thanks for all the responses.

Here's an image of the cap, (no, this isn't mine) so you can get an idea of how strong the grille is. To punch in the tweeter, you would have to seriously damage the grill, which on mine is still completely intact. No, whoever did this took the time to pull the grill off (which, unfortunately, isn't hard) and then did their deed.

As you can see, the domes are aluminum, so they can't be pulled out. Even if I removed the dents once the diaphram is detached from the motor structure, I just couldn't stand knowing all the creases and everything else were still there. Whether it made an audible difference is irrelevant. I already know it's damaged, and that's enough. It would be like having my car keyed and leaving it that way. I'd rather just suck it up and fix it the right way.

It really is amazing how thoughtless some people can be. I've given up on the belief that I can ever keep anything pristine, especially my cars. Whenever I get a new one, it isn't a matter of whether or not some doughnut is going to put a ding in it (even when I intentionally park far away from other cars), it's more a matter of whether it will happen in the first week or first month? Like clockwork, some jackass will hit it, I'll call the Dent Doctor and have it rubbed out, and life goes on.

Happens every time.

Alright Speedy! I'll man up ... it was me! I had a bad sports weekend -- my Bruins lost a football game, a quarterback, a point guard, and a shooting guard; AND my fantasy football team got killed yesterday!

So, at the time it seemed like a good idea to take my frustrations out on a Trojan's speakers! But, in retrospect ...uh ... it was a bad idea after all! Sorry 'bout that!

Seriously though, that sucks! And it's not even like those CDMs are unprotected either (like the totally exposed tweeter domes on the CM and DM series models). Maybe someone's got some DIY steel cage solutions to keep your speaks away from prying hands? (And I'm taking notes because my five month old will be poking away at the audio gear in very short order!)
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Figures.

If it's bad, it's a Bruin's fault.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information