Need a little more bass

A friend of mine is looking to add a sub to his two channel music system. He has some JAS Audio speakers model names Orsa that sound great and are in beautiful rosewood cabinets. These speakers go from a frequency of 40 up to 60,000 with a LCY aluminum twin ribbon speaker. He likes to listen to symphony music and would like to add a small sub that would be 100% for music. He is not into home theater at all. I would like to see if I could get some recommendations for a SMALL, MUSICAL sub in the $500.00 to $700.00 range. The address below is one he is looking at. Would this be a good choice or do you have better suggestions, Jeff

Look here to see the sub......
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2o8Fbuy...ee&i=232MINIVB
    Last edited by Grandpaw; 09-05-2006 at 07:48 AM.
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Hi Grandpaw - here are two subs that meet your friend's budget, that I would deeply consider:

Hsu VTF-3 MK 2 $699
    Hsu STF-3 $599

Forum Regular
    The new sealed sub from SVS would be at the top of my list.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm

40k to 60k?

Does he lift one leg and stand on the other three to urinate?

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Hsu and SVS are certainly good suggestions.

Sunfire. I'm serious. When I put them between my MF A3^CR pre and power driving a pair of Spendor S3/5's, it absolutely disappeared. People were asking me how two such tiny speakers produced such deep bass. I told them there was a sub involved (it was in plain view). They looked around (under the desk, behind the speakers). They couldn't believe that the sub way over there (about 6 feet away, midway down a wall in a small room was producing the bass that they were hearing). I don't think it's the best in the world, but for that price range -- let's put it this way: I'm going to get another one for my next project (DIY LS3/5a's). I think it's secret weapon is the crossover -- you dial in freq, volume, and phase (I think it's just a short [on the order of microsecond] analog delay).

Now, the usual qualifications -- this was in a small room, nearfield listening, at low levels; if you need more, get more (I had the True Sub Jr.).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I would also recommend he consider the Force sub from ACI. It can be found here:http://audioc.com/speakers1/forcexl/forcexl.htm

Also in his price range is the UFW-10 from Rocket found here: http://www.av123.com/products_produc...rs&product=1.1

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by bigfanga
    The new sealed sub from SVS would be at the top of my list.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm
    I'll second that one. Don't think you'll do better for the price.

Thanks to everyone for replying to my question. I have heard SVS mentioned just about every time subs are talked about, but they usually are posts concerning home theater. I would just like to double check and make sure that they would be a good choice for a two channel stereo system. Thanks again for your help, Jeff

This one would match his rosewood speakers that he has now..... see below
    http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-....cfm#extension
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Forum Regular
    No one can say for certain how the SVS sounds since it hasn't shipped yet but based on their track record I would be stunned if it is anything short of breathtaking. I have a PB10 and would only trade it for a better SVS (okay, maybe for a Velo digital drive model). Seriously, SVS subs are every bit as good as the hype. The reason you've mostly heard them mentioned in HT terms is that they haven't yet made a sealed box model. Until now.

Forum Regular

Forum Regular

Hello Friends

I don't know what I am doing. I just registered yesterday and was asked to use the introduction forum to say hello....so "hello"....I'm 82 - don't know beans about the technical side of audio...I like two channel stereo and mostly listen to classical music. I have no interest in theater surround sound. I hope in time to get the hang of all this.

Best always,

Bingo:

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo
    I don't know what I am doing. I just registered yesterday and was asked to use the introduction forum to say hello....so "hello"....I'm 82 - don't know beans about the technical side of audio...I like two channel stereo and mostly listen to classical music. I have no interest in theater surround sound. I hope in time to get the hang of all this.

Best always,

Bingo:

I would just like to add that Bingo is the friend of mine mentioned in my post that is looking for the sub woofer for his stereo that I have been asking about, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Does he lift one leg and stand on the other three to urinate?
    I did make a little mistake there it should have read 45 to 60,000. And yes the 60,000 is correct.

Hello Bingo. Who cares about that technical stuff? It's the music that matters!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

If you were considering these two subs which one would you choose and why? Thanks for everyones help, Jeff

Remember this is for music only in a room about 15x17 ft sq. with bookshelf speakers.

SVS here....

Velodyne here....

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    If you were considering these two subs which one would you choose and why? Thanks for everyones help, Jeff

Remember this is for music only in a room about 15x17 ft sq. with bookshelf speakers.

SVS here....

Velodyne here....
    The connective options and flexibility give the SVS my vote. Having gone through many iterations to integrate my subs with my ESL's I know how difficult smooth integration can be. Anything that makes that task easier is very helpful. Integrating most subs with conventional mains is not as difficult as with ESL's. Even so, all the options the SVS offers makes great integration seem not that difficult.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thread Information