JBL N26 vs JBL N26II

I always wondered about this but is there any sound difference between the JBL N26 and the JBL N26II? I know that the N26II is a wood enclosure but other than that the specs are exactly the same. I assume both will sound the same since the specs for both speakers are exactly the same.

The N26 I have is the indoor version so don't get confused with the outdoor version.

The JBL N26II is the one all the way to the right and it has a wood enclosure. The 3 pics on the left are made of high end plastic or molded plastic but the drivers are exactly the same just the color is different. According to JBL both versions are exactly the same specs but just looks have changed. But I was wondering if for real do they sound the same if I compaired them side by side. I don't own the JBL N26II so I can't compair them side by side. I was wondering if there is anyone here that has heard both and then they can tell me how they both sound. Since as I said specs are same I would assume they sound the same.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Suspended
    Without hearing them side by side, I would venture to guess that ones with wood cabinets would sound different, if not better, than same with plastic cabinets.

Well even if you not heard them side by side I was wondering if there was someone that has listened to each one of them in different places and what they think about it. Btw if the specs are the same doesn't that mean they will sound the same? Since both are from JBL so I assume they are made the same way just the looks have changed.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Carr
    Well even if you not heard them side by side I was wondering if there was someone that has listened to each one of them in different places and what they think about it. Btw if the specs are the same doesn't that mean they will sound the same? Since both are from JBL so I assume they are made the same way just the looks have changed.
    Specs don't tell you anything about how they sound.

Tap on a piece of plastic, then tap on a piece of wood of same size and shape.
    Do they sound the same?

If you looked at the specs of each, they would appear to be the same size and thickness but they are two dis-similar objects and can in no way sound the same.

Sorry but this is just common sense here. I have not heard them but would bet money that they do not sound exactly the same when placed in the same setup. Maybe others will disagree.

Youve got to take into account, the different shapes of the cabs as well. And yes the plastic just may resonate more. Id take the wooden(particle board?) speakers over the plastic speakers.
    Audio exploits of the past year
    :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/budgetaudio6/

even more here!
    http://s574.photobucket.com/home/budgetaudio6/index
    and yes its been a slow but full 3 or 4 years yet!

I guess I could ask this but what does resonate mean? Is that good or bad and what does it do?

Btw the N26II uses MDF wooden enclosure and the N26 uses high end molded plastic enclosure.
    Last edited by Joe_Carr; 08-28-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    When speaking of cabinet resonances most mean any sonic coloratIon the enclosure might contribute. Some speakers are designed to use the resonances and some are designed so you only hear the drivers and not the enclosure. I would think the molded plastic enclosure might sound better since there would be less problems with standing waves. The lack of parallel sides can eliminate distortions.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information