AR Newbie Registered Member

Audioengine A5 vs epoz aktimate mini

ok guys need some help here! im considering the A5 and aktimate mini. which should i get? i know the aktimate mini is better but its much more expensive. If i get the A5 with a few tweaks will it actually be better than the aktimate mini stand alone?

thanks guys and merry christmas!

Suspended
    I have not heard the Mini but have the baby AE's on my daughter's computer and they are excellent. I'm amazed at the sound from the small driver and the sound is nicely balanced.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rayteyj
    ok guys need some help here! im considering the A5 and aktimate mini. which should i get? i know the aktimate mini is better but its much more expensive. If i get the A5 with a few tweaks will it actually be better than the aktimate mini stand alone?

thanks guys and merry christmas!
    I've had my A5s for less than 3 months now. Bought them after being blown away listening to a pair owned by a friend. They need maybe 40 hrs of break-in (sounded a bit rumbly and boxy at first), but these speakers make for some serious hi-fi equipment. I'm currently hooked directly to an Imac. Future improvements will include a DAC, a sub, and upgraded speaker wires and power cord.
    I haven't heard the aktimate minis, I can't imagine anything but the smallest incremental improvement over the A5s. As always, though, personal tastes and individual budgets trump the opinions of others. Happy listening!

Suspended
    Oh man, good catch, I forgot to mention break in. I had the same experience, right out of the box I was disappointed with the sound but they improved dramatically in about 24 hours or so of playing. Really good sound now.

Thread Information