AR Newbie Registered Member

Need help with speaker choice

I currently have a Polk Audio surround speaker package that I have to replace because the entertainment system I just purchase won't allow for the front towers.

I would like to replace the fronts, rears & center but keep my Energy 8" sub (I love it!).

My room is approx 12' x 20' with 12' ceilings. I want to all of the speakers to be as small as possible without sacrificing midrange sound. I want to use it for movies, but listen to a lot of music. If I can, I'd like to keep the cost below $1000.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
    Brandon

I listened to the Velodyne min-bookshelf speakesr awhile back comparing them to another mini speaker. I only listen to them for HT and not music and they sounded quite impressive for their size. I've seen this Velodyne Ht package in flyers for approx. $1000 cdn. which comes with a sub. The speakers alone sold for I think $350 a pair cdn.. Check em out and see what you think. You can also check their website to see what they look like.

small speaker choice

Quote Originally Posted by mrdon
    I currently have a Polk Audio surround speaker package that I have to replace because the entertainment system I just purchase won't allow for the front towers.

I would like to replace the fronts, rears & center but keep my Energy 8" sub (I love it!).

My room is approx 12' x 20' with 12' ceilings. I want to all of the speakers to be as small as possible without sacrificing midrange sound. I want to use it for movies, but listen to a lot of music. If I can, I'd like to keep the cost below $1000.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
    Brandon
    YOU WANT SMALL LIKE A POUND OF BUTTER AND GET A FREE SUB ? IF IN CANADA GO TO AUDIOSHOP WEBSITE THEY HAVE 5.1ORBIT FROM DAHLQUIST GOING FOR $450 reg 899.PAT.P

Forum Regular
    I auditioned Polk RTi8 and Saphire SB2 last night at Tweeter. I think Polks ran for around $699/pair and Sapphires around $850/pair. The sapphire produced more clear and detailed sound than Polk RTi8. I really did like the construction, materials used and looks of Polks better than Sapphires. The other reason Sapphires sounded better was may be the Sapphires were 3 way with One driver on side, two midrange in front and tweeter in the middle whereas Polks RTi8 were 2-way only with one tweeter and two woofers acting as mid-range and woofers. Also, I think I liked Sapphires better than Energy(don't know which particular) I auditioned few months ago. With that said, I think I want to audition any Polks which is 3-way.

Sapphire has unimpressive looking foam tweeter, but it performed well. It looks(only) mediocre but since the speaker sounded better, I'm certain it is one of the good tweeter. I just think metal tweeter looks better, not necessarily sound better.

You may really want to check out Sapphires that may be in your budget and sounds really good.

Forum Regular
    Check definitive technology procinema systems.Come in different sizes can be mixed and matched.Even come in white or black.

Forum Regular

Energy has bigger version of ACT system coming out in a month or so

Looks nice, and if it is anything like the ACT6, it will sound great. I was impressed with the little one, if the big one is just more of it...it will be worth a look.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Forum Regular
    For small speakers that don't sacrifice sound quality, take a serious look at Orb Audio (www.orbaudio.com). They are online only, but they sell direct and their prices are extremely competitive. I think they still do a 30 day home trial.

Thread Information