AR Newbie Registered Member

Energy C-3 + s8 subwoofer or cbm-170?

I have Ascend CBM-170s (paid $328) and Energy C-3s (paid $499) + an Energy s8 subwoofer ($399 retail, but thrown in free with the C-3 purchase). I have to return one or the other. I love the Ascends, but my wife thinks they are too harsh. I admit on some recordings, like old analog recordings, particularly jazz and beatles for instance, they are bright and the C-3's laid back sound beats the ascends. But on other recordings (Dire Straits 1st record) the Ascends are just exciting/exhilerating, while the C-3 are just very solid - though boxy sounding when next to the ascends. If I don't get the sub with the C-3s, I would eventually get a sub, but down the line. Bottomline, is the c-3 for $500 plus the subwoofer for free too good to pass up, politics with my wife aside? The sub is not very powerful, but I do want to build a hometheater system in the future. Also, the C-3s come with a 5 year warranty. I bought the extended 5 year warranty for $75 - good decision? Thanks! Jim

F1
    Try to play around with speaker placement, toe in and some room accoustic approach to remedy harsh speaker. Tone control may also help. Somebody even suggested to place a tissue paper in front of tweeter, it may work... As for Energy set you got, imo the S8 sub is very weak that eventually you want a better sub. So decision purely depends on the front speaker sound quality the way you like.

Thread Information