Forum Regular

need help, cant decide!! looking for 2.0 monitors.. av40, a2, rp5, etc

hi,

my z2300 died so i'm looking to upgrade to something nicer.. this will be used for a nearfield desktop setup.. about 2.5ft from my seat, 12x9x8 bedroom

the main priority for me is listening to music.. i play games and watch movies on a different setup

so i'm looking at these two models:

- swan m10 ($100 pair)
    - alesis m1 active 520 ($200 pair)
    - krk rp5 ($240 pair)

i'm new to studio monitors and i'm just wondering what the best bang for my buck would be..

if i dont do any recording or mixing.. will the rp5's be overkill for just listening to mp3's? i found them for $240 a pair and i love how they look.. i really want a reason to buy them but i'm wondering if they're overkill for my situation..

is there a huge difference between the RP5 and M10 in terms of SQ? it's about $120 more so will the average user be able to justify the extra money? will i hear a noticeable difference between the 2?

is the m10 a noticeable upgrade from the Promedia 2.1 or Z-2300? Or are they the same level

or will a simple user like me be satisfied with the m10?

also, how does the alesis m1 active 520 compare with the rp5?

my genres: rap/hiphop (45%), alternative/punk rock (45%), trance (5%), pop (5%)

any comments/suggestions are appreciated... thanks
    Last edited by koven; 05-04-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Suspended
    I bought the small Audio Engine for my daughter's computer and they sound great. At 10 watts with a 3 inch low/mid driver I'd recommend a sub or buying the larger pair which may be out of your budget. The sound quality of the mids/highs though are very good. I don't have any other spekaers of that type to compare them to though, just regular home speakers.

Forum Regular
    anyone else?

Thread Information