AR Newbie Registered Member

Need help with building my first set of 2 way speakers!

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build a pair of 2 way speakers from recycled woofers and new parts.

I salvaged some old school, 3 way speakers from the tip earlier this year. One was empty inside and the other had 2 working 8 inch woofers and one damaged tweeter/midrange.

I disassembled the working speaker and now have two housings with one woofer in each.

On the back of the woofers there's text that says 15 ohms which, after a good google, seems a bit strange (see pic, print on top of speaker).

I chatted with a greasy kid in the local electronics store who looked like he knew what he was talking about and he found this 15 ohm label to be strange. He was talking about reducing the impedance of the speaker and it all got a bit foreign to me.

In a nutshell - I'm after two 2 inch midrange/tweeters to compliment each woofer as well as a crossover for each.

I've been looking at these links for the parts I need (local store)

Shielded 2" 10W 8-Ohm Full Range Speaker - Jaycar Electronics

2 Way Speaker Crossover 3.5KHz 6dB - Jaycar Electronics

As far as I'm aware, I need to connect the woofer & midrange/tweeter to a crossover and then that crossover connects to the amp/hifi/whatever else I scrounge from the tip.

If anybody could provide any advice on what parts I need it would be greatly appreciated and also what size amplifier is recommended so I can source a hifi/deck.

Need help with building my first set of 2 way speakers!-20130522_233534.jpg

Are you familiar at all with the concept of using Thiele-Small parameters to design speaker crossovers and cabinets? Unless you adhere to these principles your speaker building efforts will succeed only by pure luck -- not a good way to invest time or money.

You should probably read up a bit on the subject. There are good books on the subject as well as various online resources and computer programs.

One popular book is "Designing, Building, and Testing Your Own Speaker System with Projects" by David B. Weems ... see HERE.

Another popular, somewhat more advanced book is "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Vance Dickason ... see HERE.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks mate appreciate your time

Thread Information