Forum Regular

subwoofer and ohm question

does ohm matter if im using a powered subwoofer? if my receiver is rated 8 ohms and my powered sub is at 4 ohms, will that over heat my receiver? i just got the yamaha rxv 2400. im asuming it doesnt matter because the sub uses its own amp.
    thanks a head of time.

Yeah the sub has no effect on the receiver your fine.

cam
    Quote Originally Posted by marky
    does ohm matter if im using a powered subwoofer? if my receiver is rated 8 ohms and my powered sub is at 4 ohms, will that over heat my receiver? i just got the yamaha rxv 2400. im asuming it doesnt matter because the sub uses its own amp.
    thanks a head of time.
    Your powered sub is only drawing a signal and no power from your 2400 so it does not matter. The amp and speaker in your sub would be designed to work together perfectly.

Actually, a "powered" subwoofer generally has a lot higher input impedance than 4 ohms. The speaker outputs from your receiver are being fed into te high impedance input of a power amp.

But, It's always possible something new under the sun hass just been invented and I might be wrong. What powered sub do you have that claims a 4 ohm input impedance?

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I'm a little confused here

Quote Originally Posted by marky
    thanks a head of time.
    Are you sending a line-level input into the sub, or powering it from your receivers amps? If it's a line level input (RCA jack) then the powered sub's resistance rating is useless information.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    its the cheesy AR S8HO sub. im not sure if its 4ohms cause it doesnt say on the sub itself. But i found some info online saying its 4ohms or something like that. im thinking about getting the polk psw303 or 404. they recommend connecting using speaker wires to connect from the L and R channels to the input of the sub and then from the sub to the speakers. what kinna connection is that and does it draw power from the receiver? i currently have the AR s20 as fronts and the polk 6005 as the surrounds and center. im planning on getting another center. what do u guys think i should get? is there a way to connect two subs?

Thread Information