Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717

    Need Cheap Speaks for Garage

    I'm replacing the frankenspeakers in the garage and want your opinions. I want to spend a little as possible (under $100/pr), because even though I spend most of my weekends in the garage, it's still just a garage.

    These are the best I've found but I'm open to suggestions:

    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1ENC50

  2. #2
    Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Lower AL
    Posts
    2,838
    don't laugh: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085354138

    I've had mine for a couple years now and have lugged them to the beach, football games, the deck while I'm grillin', etc. The best thing is they sound good (soft dome tweeter) and play loud with very little power. I use mine with a first gen. Sonic Impact T-amp. They also perform very well with a vintage 30wpc Sansui integrated. These speakers used to go on sale for less than $40, but $75.00 seems to be about the best price on'em these days.

  3. #3
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Not sure if these are better or not, but they are another option. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-642

    You could also take a stab at building your own.

    These http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-306
    And these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=275-076
    With these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-142

    Would work pretty good together. But they do add up to over $150 once you add in terminal posts, wood, insulation etc.
    It would give you something to do while you're in that garage.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  4. #4
    Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,085
    Here is my choice for under $100. (the Energy's are listed as Demo's) These Athena's have a larger enclosure and might give a little lower extension.

    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS100

    RR6

  5. #5
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    494

    How much would it cost to send...

    ...my AV-123 Onix x-ls to ya? If it's like, $25... you can have 'em for $100 total. Box, manual, PERFECT (blond wood finish - forgot what it is). Gotta be less than 50 hours on them.

    Also, I have assembled the aforementioned Dayton BR-1s... a bit less refined than the x (we're splitting hairs here), but fatter/less-controlled bass. Could be a good thing in a garage. Or not. Not sure.

    I've succumbed to the Insignia craze out of curiousity... I can't agree with DeanM - these have been flat-out bad for me! Not that I ever really used them, just tubby, indistinct... at least they have a soft-dome. These are free if you want to travel to Long Island :*)

    I should actually open the Insignias up... if there ever was a canidate for internally crossed wires, these would be it. Just don't understand the hype.

    Seriously, the Onix are decent - I have to make some room!

  6. #6
    My custom user title This Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    759
    just go to a pawn shop or garage sale man. Get some speakers with big 10-15" woofers so you don't start wanting a sub with it. Who doesn't love some bass while you're working in the garage? You're gonna need it too if you're doing loud things in there.

  7. #7
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    look for a pair of Large advents on ebay...


    you'll never ever want tiny bookshelves again for in the garage, definately not when you're spending quite some time there

    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  8. #8
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,462
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    ...because even though I spend most of my weekends in the garage, it's still just a garage.
    Find some used "New England" sound speakers from Acoustic Research, Advent, EPI, KLH, etc. with refoamed woofers. I use a double pair of Advents.

    rw

  9. #9
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy C
    ...my AV-123 Onix x-ls to ya? If it's like, $25... you can have 'em for $100 total. Box, manual, PERFECT (blond wood finish - forgot what it is). Gotta be less than 50 hours on them.

    Also, I have assembled the aforementioned Dayton BR-1s... a bit less refined than the x (we're splitting hairs here), but fatter/less-controlled bass. Could be a good thing in a garage. Or not. Not sure.

    I've succumbed to the Insignia craze out of curiousity... I can't agree with DeanM - these have been flat-out bad for me! Not that I ever really used them, just tubby, indistinct... at least they have a soft-dome. These are free if you want to travel to Long Island :*)

    I should actually open the Insignias up... if there ever was a canidate for internally crossed wires, these would be it. Just don't understand the hype.

    Seriously, the Onix are decent - I have to make some room!
    That's an incredable deal. These are some nice speakers. IMO, too good for a garage.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  10. #10
    Forum Regular Kevio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by This Guy
    just go to a pawn shop or garage sale man. Get some speakers with big 10-15" woofers so you don't start wanting a sub with it. Who doesn't love some bass while you're working in the garage? You're gonna need it too if you're doing loud things in there.
    Agreed. They must be big. They must be classic (old). I think JBLs would be awesome.

  11. #11
    Sgt. At Arms Worf101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Troy, New York
    Posts
    4,288

    Unh Hunh...

    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Find some used "New England" sound speakers from Acoustic Research, Advent, EPI, KLH, etc. with refoamed woofers. I use a double pair of Advents.

    rw
    +100

    All my speakers are used from various places. You can get great vintage speaks cheap on the Bay or Craigslist if you're lucky.

    Da Worfster

  12. #12
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717
    Man, I knew I could count on your guys for good suggestions.

    Deano; the Insignia's were right at the top of my list and your review had me driving down to BB, and then Jimmy chimed in...

    Mike; I considered the Daytons, but with shipping it goes over budget.

    RR6; see above

    Joey; Can't go big. Where would I put my fridge and workbench?

    Bert & Estat; I thought of your double Advents, Estat. My dad has a pair of AR9's in the living room that I could have but I really don't want something I'm going to have to put on the floor. These are going to be sitting on top of storage cabinets.

    Jimmy; check your pm.

  13. #13
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Bert & Estat; I thought of your double Advents, Estat. My dad has a pair of AR9's in the living room that I could have but I really don't want something I'm going to have to put on the floor. These are going to be sitting on top of storage cabinets.

    go for a single pair of advents? and they have the 'smaller advent' too for something... :d


    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  14. #14
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I want to spend a little as possible (under $100/pr), because even though I spend most of my weekends in the garage, it's still just a garage.
    Having issues with the 335i?
    I was at the Motor Show yesterday. Had a seat in the 335i sedan with some kind of sport package (sport seats etc) , really nice interior and paddle-shift 'box.

  15. #15
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Man, I knew I could count on your guys for good suggestions.

    Deano; the Insignia's were right at the top of my list and your review had me driving down to BB, and then Jimmy chimed in...

    Mike; I considered the Daytons, but with shipping it goes over budget.

    RR6; see above

    Joey; Can't go big. Where would I put my fridge and workbench?

    Bert & Estat; I thought of your double Advents, Estat. My dad has a pair of AR9's in the living room that I could have but I really don't want something I'm going to have to put on the floor. These are going to be sitting on top of storage cabinets.

    Jimmy; check your pm.
    Good choice. I think you'll luv them.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  16. #16
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Having issues with the 335i?
    Ha. Ha. It is to laugh. No, the 335 is a whole different animal than the M3 because this one, you know, works! I'm not fixing the cars, but I am tinkering with them, polishing them, or playing with the kids in the front yard.

    I was at the Motor Show yesterday. Had a seat in the 335i sedan with some kind of sport package (sport seats etc) , really nice interior and paddle-shift 'box.
    Paddle shifters are a sign of the apocalypse, at least as far as driver talent is considered. Cars are becoming waaaay too automated. They can keep their iDrive, e-brakes, and e-steering. One of my favorite quotes is, "The most important nut in any racecar is the one behind the wheel."

  17. #17
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Good choice. I think you'll luv them.
    At that price, how could I not?

    The generosity of people like Jimmy is what makes AR such a great place. Remember when that one member (whose name escapes me) sent his Spyder calibration system all over North America so we could calibrate our sets for free?

    Gives a man hope in the face of all of the negativity in the world.

  18. #18
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    At that price, how could I not?

    The generosity of people like Jimmy is what makes AR such a great place. Remember when that one member (whose name escapes me) sent his Spyder calibration system all over North America so we could calibrate our sets for free?

    Gives a man hope in the face of all of the negativity in the world.
    That was Ed. We sorely miss his informative posts. He disappeared after a disagreement with Pixy. Can we trade back?
    Hope your garage is very nice. Otherwise those speakers will feel out of place.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  19. #19
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Guess I'm a few days late, which is too bad cause I actually had some experience with a few suggestions.

    I've heard the Insignias. Both stock, and a modded a pair a few years back when it was cool to do it. Glad I didn't keep them - they were ok, for $60 or whatever the guy had in them but they were limited.

    The Onix I've only heard once - but I do remember everyone thinking wow, not just another internet company. My quick impression was for $200 I think they're a pretty good deal, but at $100 2nd hand it's hard to go wrong.

    I prolly woulda gone for the BR-1's myself (unless they're Gen 2) but differents strokes for different folks. They are a step up on any of the Paradigm Atom/Titan or Axiom M3's I've owned.

    My garage speakers right now are the aforementioned Axiom M3Ti's...I never really used them enough to warrant having them, and I just can't bring my Studio 40's into the Garage. I have a buyer lined up but I'm such a terrible pack-rat I just can't let'em go.

  20. #20
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717
    Better late than never, Kex.

    I actually went and heard the Insignia's and had pretty much the same impression. They were decent. Not a lot of extension on either end, but still quite a bit better than the frankenspeakers I've been using.

    Ed is sorely missed. His depth of knowledge was only surpassed by his incredible generosity. Thanks for reminding me, Mike.

  21. #21
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Paddle shifters are a sign of the apocalypse, at least as far as driver talent is considered. Cars are becoming waaaay too automated.
    You know what? I was thinking a similar thing when I encountered the new Nissan 370Z at the motor show. They were describing how the new manual 'box had a system of downshift rev-matching which basically voids the practice of 'heel and toe' downshifting. I've personaly just discovered the art of heel and toe and I find it to be the most gratifying thing to get right...
    How sad.
    I hope it doesnt becoming a general thing for manual 'boxes.
    Glad the 335i 'actually works'

  22. #22
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Frankenspeakers - Speakers made from assorted old drivers from past speakers that have been disassembled or destroyed over the years. Normally placed in a box made of particle board, or in some cases, old shoe boxes. Often held together with several rolls of duck tape.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  23. #23
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Better late than never, Kex.

    I actually went and heard the Insignia's and had pretty much the same impression. They were decent. Not a lot of extension on either end, but still quite a bit better than the frankenspeakers I've been using.

    Ed is sorely missed. His depth of knowledge was only surpassed by his incredible generosity. Thanks for reminding me, Mike.

    Yeah, did that tool Pix actually scare him off? We should send him an email to invite him back. I'll see if I can dig it up when I get home.

  24. #24
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Yeah, did that tool Pix actually scare him off? We should send him an email to invite him back. I'll see if I can dig it up when I get home.
    Scare? Nah... I think he just didn't want to be bothered with someone who blew off his helpfull information as crap and wanted to fight. We all lost that day.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  25. #25
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    494

    Ain't I sweet?...lol...

    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    At that price, how could I not?

    The generosity of people like Jimmy is what makes AR such a great place. Remember when that one member (whose name escapes me) sent his Spyder calibration system all over North America so we could calibrate our sets for free?

    Gives a man hope in the face of all of the negativity in the world.
    Of course the original box wasn't in the bedroom attic (where I took all my wife's crap outta the closet to find it), it was in the garage attic (where I just got finished washing/waxing my Astro and put her away... heehee. Get the work van back out, set the ladder up, retrieve said box :*)

    I'm 90% sure they'll be on their way tomorrow, 10% sure on Friday, and a slight (like... another 10%?) the next day :*) My wonderful wife is shipping them from her work, we'll get you a tracking number from whatever service is employed. I'll PM ya.

    Hell... they even smell good now - I just lemon-Pledged 'em. Boxes (double) are sturdy, thick foam inserts. I wouldn't worry.

    Plug these into your main system (if easy enough) w/ a well-recorded CD and see whatcha think - definitely clean and neutral, especially considering price. That's another thing... that soft-dome is a bit more tolerant if the going ain't so good...

    Enjoy them, lettuce know what you think...

    Oh - at a later date, you can pick up the matching sub if desired...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •