Forum Regular

Need a cheap,decent sub

I need to get a sub woofer for my son's system...he has an Onkyo tx 8511 reciever,its a nice little piece,and a pair of Polk rt 35i bookshelf's,I would like to add a decent but cheap sub,must be powered...remember he's only 14,but he's turning into quit the audiophile.

cam
    If he is 14 I would not recommend a really cheap one or a 10 incher. kids that young blow up speakers because for some reason they do not hear distortion. They just want more volume even if that means more distortion. Go with the paradigm pdr12, it has 150 rms. That should keep him happy for now. Warranty is 3 years on the amp and 5 years on the speaker. All paradigm dealers will drop their price you just have to negotiate.

Forum Regular
    you could go with either a DIY, or even a passive sub. You could try one of polks subs say the psw202. 50rms and goes down to about 40hz . Its 10" ,powered and has 5 yrs warranty. why not buy one used say ebay,

Forum Regular
    What is a passive sub anyway?

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Passive sub has no amp which means your amplifier must drive the sub...generally these are not as good for most applications because most amps don't like to drive both the sub and your front speakers.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I'm not sure if Willow is correct with those numbers. A sub that only hits 40hz is not a subwoofer - it's a woofer in a box.

Sub woofers are supposed to be SUB SONIC. BELOW 20hz They were supposed to be made to be felt not heard. I realize today they are often for standmounts and integrate with speakers up to ~60hz but they should still hit well under 20hz or what's the point of them?

Here's one. Great company, supposed to be a great sub for the money.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-632&DID=7

I'm 15 and I've been into this stuff for 3 years and never blew a speaker in my life. Show him what distortion is (obviously dont go overboard or you will break something), and when to turn it down.

-Joey

Forum Regular

AR Newbie Registered Member

RE: subs

First off what is the budget you are looking at?
    200, 300, 400, 500, beyond?
    I have the polk PSW202, and that thing is not that powerful. for a small bedroom, then it should be decent. Like someone mentioned before, the sub is only 50w rms, and 100w max. Although it is powered, I wouldnt recommend usinging with with a powerful reciever (ie: 75w and up). The reciever will be too powerful for the sub. I currently use the Klipsch RW-10 and the HSU research 10" in another room and they both are great. Both are around $500 retail, less if you search around. The polk i am selling. Too weak for my needs.

Forum Regular
    200 bucks...max

Forum Regular
    I have the jbl pb10 with everything polk otherwise (I'm a broke newlywed) but have been really pleased with it in both movies and music and it could probably be found around the web for close to $200

Forum Regular
    Definitive Prosub 80 is $350. If you can get approx. 20 percent off, which i have gotten more with no problem on all of my definitive technology speakers, then that comes out to $280. Their Prosub 60 you may be able to get for around $220 or so. $200 really limits your choices, I would try to get one of the two subs listed above or go to a store and see if they are willing to part with one of their display models. They usually discount about 40% or so and come with the full manufacturer's warranty (great if he should happen to blow the sub or the electronics fail). Reviews of the subs can be found at the following addresses:

Prosub 80: http://www.definitivetech.com/review...OCIN80_HT.html

Prosub 60: http://www.definitivetech.com/reviews/PrCn60DVD4C.pdf

They talk about the entire procinema 60/80 packages but you can get an idea of the performance of the sub.

Hope your son appreciates whatever you may buy him. Good luck!!
    Definitive Technology Fan, Owner and Advocate!!!!! never paying retail IS half the fun of buying audio products!!!! Good shopping!

Forum Regular

I'll second...

..."This Guys" recommendation of the Dayton sub. No, I have no experience with this particular unit, but I have built a pair of their stand-mount speakers and I'm quite happy with the results. IIRC, their least expensive subwoofer was $99 - maybe this is the same one (with a price increase?) More Qs can be answered with people that actually own the sub on the PartsExpress message board, if you so desire. I have a feeling you will get more than your money's worth, especially considering the intended use.

Someone also mentioned a sub for this application is supposed to be sub-sonic - not true. It is supposed to be "sub-woofer", coming from below, and up to, the woofer - hence the name. There is almost NO bass information below 20 cycles. A decent sub will complement your mains and give you a foundation you probably did not have before. You might also be suprised what a sub can do for other parts of the musical spectrum, not just the 20-40 last octave.

Oh - sorry, yes... you must build the kit. From what I have read, no big deal. About an hour. Perfect father-son thing, eh?

Forum Regular
    Electrical
    Overall Frequency Response 40 - 200Hz
    Lower -3dB Limit 45
    Upper -3dB Limit 180

10-inch Long-Throw Driver for longer excursion and better linearity, biggest bass in its price class!
    this is right off the polk site

F1
    What about Cerwin Vega! LW10
    They make some efficient LOUDspeaker for cheap.
    http://www.topdjgear.com/cevelw20posu.html

I thirdly agree with This Guy. I think you will be happy with the parts express subwoofer.

Forum Regular
    I have used the Dayton subwoofer that Parts Express was selling before this one. Similar specs, different looking box. Based on my experience, I'd say it's likely to be an excellent value.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tullymars
    200 bucks...max
    You'll be hard pressed to beat this bargain;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3078445914

I have one in a bedroom system, and it's very good for HT.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

AR Newbie Registered Member

Yamaha YST SW315

Just picked one up at etronics.com for $192. Awesome for the price!

Thread Information