• 02-26-2005, 09:14 PM
    DaveES01
    Need advice, folks! B&W 603S3 and...
    Ok, so I've decided to invest about USD $3,000 (all-in) for a complete 5.1 system (receiver + speakers + wires). After comparing the 602s vs. 603s, I decided to go with the 603s (no comparison in my opinion)...

Issue #1
    Since I was really pushing my budget with the 603s, the sales associate at my dealer paired them with the following from the 300 series:
    Center: LCR3
    Woofer: ASW300
    Rear: DM303
    Is this advisable? I always thought I should be pulling from the same series (If you couldn't tell, I'm new to the Hi-Fi world)

Issue #2
    The receiver he recommended (which sounded great but I'm not sure if it's more or less than I need) is the Rotelle RSX 1056 ($1300). How superior is the Rotelle to the NADs and Marantz models that run approx. $500 cheaper?

Any advice is certainly appreciated! Thanks!
  • 02-26-2005, 11:29 PM
    paul_pci
    We'll see how helpful this is: I just got some 601s and along with them the LCR60 which is cool, and of course, matches. What I would consider is that since you're going with the floorstanders and you're pushing your budget, why don't you do without the sub for now and go with the LCR60 unless you have a larger sized room where you'd probably be better off with the LCR600. And you could even try to squeeze in the 601s for rears, especially when you rethink the receiver choice, as you suspect. If you're new to the hifi world, my guess is that you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the $1300 receiver and one that is, as you say, $500 less. Just make sure that the receiver you get, has all the bells and whistles you want, including a usable, feature-filled remote.

BTW: you don't happen to be in the LA area, do you? Those products sound like the exact lineup that the dealer I go to stocks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveES01
    Ok, so I've decided to invest about USD $3,000 (all-in) for a complete 5.1 system (receiver + speakers + wires). After comparing the 602s vs. 603s, I decided to go with the 603s (no comparison in my opinion)...

Issue #1
    Since I was really pushing my budget with the 603s, the sales associate at my dealer paired them with the following from the 300 series:
    Center: LCR3
    Woofer: ASW300
    Rear: DM303
    Is this advisable? I always thought I should be pulling from the same series (If you couldn't tell, I'm new to the Hi-Fi world)

Issue #2
    The receiver he recommended (which sounded great but I'm not sure if it's more or less than I need) is the Rotelle RSX 1056 ($1300). How superior is the Rotelle to the NADs and Marantz models that run approx. $500 cheaper?

Any advice is certainly appreciated! Thanks!

• 02-26-2005, 11:33 PM
    RGA
    I would personally lean to the 602S3 front and then matching 600 series center and perhaps the 303 in the rear. Preferably the best sub you can afford -- does not need to be a B&W sub.

As for the receiver --- a Cheaper receiver with preouts and buy a used power amplifier. Rotels are generally very good but I would probably go with a receiver in the $500.00 price range that has preouts -- This way you can buy a used Bryston or a used Rotel power amp for say $500.00.

Really though if this is mainly for home theater movies this isn;t that bad a suggestion your dealer has made espeically if it sounds good. I would think you would want at least a 600 series center channel though.
  • 02-27-2005, 04:05 AM
    enrique
    Your looking at a system similar to what i have.I have the rotel rsx1056 w/B&W 603s3 & lcr600.I will get the 601s3 for surrounds when i can(def.tech. pro100's for now).My sub is the def.tech. 200tl.I upgraded my system from the def.tech.'s and Marantz sr7000 little by little.I dont know what you have now if you have anything or your upgrading.You can get the front three and the rotel if you choose(fine receiver) and a decent sub for now and get the surrounds later and use what you have now as surrounds in the mean time.Personally i would get what i like the best with the budget available,if you like the rotel w/the 603s3's get that everything else will come eventually.That way there is no looking back and saying i should of done this or that.FWIW i have been extremely happy with my setup and will be even happier when i'm able to get the 601s3's for surround duty.I was able to get what i liked with the budget i had available and have no regrets.
    P.S. just to let you know i was able to get the rotel rsx1056 for 1,1.00.00,the 603s3 and the lcr600 for 1,200.00 all were bought seperatly but total was 2,300. all discounted by dealer.
  • 02-27-2005, 05:13 AM
    shokhead
    I've had the 601's for a few years for surrounds and always wished i had gotten the 602's. More so now with multi-channel audio. My mains are also 603's. I dont think 602's as mains and surrounds with a good sub would be bad at all.
    If i were buying today,i would look at the Axiom M22ti for front and rear at only 400 bucks a pair and have alot left for a killer sub.
  • 02-27-2005, 12:46 PM
    managuense
    I'd say run away. Go to a new store. You went to a "higher" end audio store with little or no knowledge and put your trust into a salesperson who advised you to purchase mismatched speakers.

I have 602S3s as mains with an LCR60, 600S3s, and an ASW650. I previously had an ASW600 which I found to be a great little sub but a little inadequate (for HT) in a large room. The 650 is the perfect fit for the 602s, and I would imagine would sound just as great with the 603s. I consider it to be twice the sub as the 600, which itself is a much larger sub than the 300.
  • 02-27-2005, 06:25 PM
    Aric M L
    IMO The DM303's are very poorly voice matched to the 600 series speakers. I would recommend spending an extra $50 on the pair and getting the 600S3, its similar in overall performance but blends much better with your mains. Then again my taste led me to the 602's over the 603's so don't just take my word for it, have the dealer set you up an example if you can.