Forum Regular

Need advice fast on Monitor Audio speakers

I have chance to get a new pair of MA Silver 6 speakers for $489.00, about 50% off. I really like the new RS6 but those are @ retail of $999.00. I am crazy to pass on last year's silver 6s? I like the sound of the RS a little better but I am not sure they are $500 better?

Maybe you should buy them if you have such a good deal and think you can live with and be happy with them, this will give you time to consider wether the others are worth the extra $$'s. Even after a year you could probably sell them for more than you paid if you find something you like a lot more...not just a little bit more.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

Forum Regular
    Well, I went back to Good Guys and they were gone : (

However, the broke out a set of Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-10. I listened to them and they are NICE, even with out breaking in. They had one set NIB for $329.99 (40%off the $550 price) in the Rosewood (they are drop dead beautiful). I got them instead!!

Cool...and saved $160 too
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

Forum Regular
    $220!!!

They are a massive improvement over the old Boston Satellites, not that the BAs were bad but they were almost 12 yrs old. I did not even know I needed speakers until I was watching a movie 2 nights ago (running sound via the Denon), my left satellite started barking. I pulled the grill off and the cone surrounds had seperated from the cone and the surround material was crumbling, never seen this before. I called Boston they want $60+shipping for the 4.5" driver. I looked at the other sat. and it too was starting to separate. So I am thinking I will need to drop about $150.00 to replace the two drivers. Then I thought, what's the condition of the tweeters? How are the 6.5" subs?

New speakers were in order.

Congrats on the new speakers!

If you'd like to still keep the BAs for a second system, you might check your phone book to see if there's a place in town that repairs speakers. You're tweeters are probably fine, but your sub drivers are probably in similar shape. But repairs could still be reasonable. I had the surrounds on 4 drivers replaced a couple of years at a local shop for $75 - much cheaper than the $60 for one driver you've been quoted. If you're handy and want a DYI project, you could alternately order a refoam kit from one of the many places online and do the repair job yourself.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    Congrats on the new speakers!

If you'd like to still keep the BAs for a second system, you might check your phone book to see if there's a place in town that repairs speakers. You're tweeters are probably fine, but your sub drivers are probably in similar shape. But repairs could still be reasonable. I had the surrounds on 4 drivers replaced a couple of years at a local shop for $75 - much cheaper than the $60 for one driver you've been quoted. If you're handy and want a DYI project, you could alternately order a refoam kit from one of the many places online and do the repair job yourself.

Good Idea, I will look into that.

if your looking for a matching MA sub...

let me know...I've got one no being used at the time

thepogue@yahoo.com
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

nightflier

Monitor Audio Energy Synergy?

How do the Energy RC-10's compare to the Monitor Audio Silvers? The Energy's have smaller cabinets, but I do like the solid construction.

BTW, our GG still has a pair of the MA golds for $849, I think. Does anyone believe these are significantly better (considering they are made in England & all)?

Forum Regular
    The RC-10s ROCK!!! I thought they had a fuller sound. The enclosure was bigger than the Monitor Audio RS-1, the MA RS6s had more bass response due to the larger enclosure. I also heard the Energy RC-50 towers today at GG. I want these also they sound great, and @899.00 per pair (40% off that's a deal!) If I got the RC-50s I don't know what I would do with the New RC-10s I got last night??

I think the MA are great too but the Energy RC line sounds and look great. My only gripe is they are made in China : (

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by titan7
    The RC-10s ROCK!!! I thought they had a fuller sound. The enclosure was bigger than the Monitor Audio RS-1, the MA RS6s had more bass response due to the larger enclosure. I also heard the Energy RC-50 towers today at GG. I want these also they sound great, and @899.00 per pair (40% off that's a deal!) If I got the RC-50s I don't know what I would do with the New RC-10s I got last night??

I think the MA are great too but the Energy RC line sounds and look great. My only gripe is they are made in China : (
    Hey titan, glad to hear about your new speakers, we all like to feel like little kids again when we discover such little pleasures

As for the Energy speakers being built in China, it's a fact we have to get over... after all, what's not made in China these days?? Let's see, nearly equivalent product quality, way reduced material and labour costs... yeah, companies are all making the move to China to save $$$, and more and more stuff will be going to China as the years progress.

Mind you, it's not entirely a bad thing. My speakers, Sinclair Audio SB-3600Ts are Canadian designed but built in China, and man they sound wicked, good enough in my opinion that I think they rip most other speakers in their price range a new one. Especially for what I paid for them, $849 + tax was suggested retail and I scored them for $450 tax in

If ever you question the quality of a speaker because of where it's made, give it a good listen, and if you like what you hear, who's to say if they're good or bad?? If you like 'em, who cares

Thread Information