Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by westcott
    Congratulations!!! Those are some very good looking speaker cabinets.

Let us know how it sounds after you get the system calibrated.

I would be inclined to move them a little more inboard, away from the side walls and see if that makes a difference in your room.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks, I like them very much.

I keep thinking about those walls as well. But the room is only 14 feet wide and I was sitting 19 feet away. They are only 10 feet away from each other now. How narrow can I go? Seems like I'd be trading one problem for another.
    I did move them closer to my sitting position the other day. I'm now only 14 feet away. The wall to my left has heavy curtains, and the wall to the right is only half a wall. I will play around with them though before I finalize their resting place. Just wish they weren't so hard to move.

Here are a few additional pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -babies2.jpg  
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Another shot of my babies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -babies3.jpg  
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Hey! I have a Chase credit card! Mrs. GM, how can we get my balance to disappear???

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Hey! I have a Chase credit card! Mrs. GM, how can we get my balance to disappear???
    Lot's of luck. I keep asking her to bring samples home with her, but does she? Noooooooooooooooo................................. .

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Last night I went through all of my Yes and Pink Floyd. What a great night!
    That's all you have?

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    That's all you have?
    Yeah, only 4 Yes and 5 PF on CD. I used to have a ton more on LP's. Somehow I must have forgotten to replace them all. I was very upset by this and will be taking steps to fix it.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Thanks, I like them very much.I keep thinking about those walls as well. But the room is only 14 feet wide and I was sitting 19 feet away. They are only 10 feet away from each other now. How narrow can I go? Seems like I'd be trading one problem for another.
    I did move them closer to my sitting position the other day. I'm now only 14 feet away. The wall to my left has heavy curtains, and the wall to the right is only half a wall. I will play around with them though before I finalize their resting place. Just wish they weren't so hard to move.
    Argghhh!
    Dude - you gotta do something about that setup. Keep them at least 2 feet from the side wall...do you have any wall panels yet? How big is your room?

14 feet is a lot better than 19. You're violating the triangle rule but your room is 14 feet wide, so what can ya do?
    I'm assuming it's not as simple as you moving your chairs up closer or you'd have already done that. The further back you are, the more reflections, smearing, etc you are going to subject yourself to.

Tell ya what I did - bought myself a fancy, comfy, director's style folding chair - $20 or so...I haul it out and grab the foot stool when I want a good listen.
    You have no idea how much better this can sound - I hear things in the music I didn't realize were there before - something gets lost (or at least altered) when all those sound waves are bouncing off the walls.

Scary, you've had those things for a few weeks now but you haven't even realized their potential yet....

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Argghhh!
    Dude - you gotta do something about that setup. Keep them at least 2 feet from the side wall...do you have any wall panels yet? How big is your room?

14 feet is a lot better than 19. You're violating the triangle rule but your room is 14 feet wide, so what can ya do?
    I'm assuming it's not as simple as you moving your chairs up closer or you'd have already done that. The further back you are, the more reflections, smearing, etc you are going to subject yourself to.

Tell ya what I did - bought myself a fancy, comfy, director's style folding chair - $20 or so...I haul it out and grab the foot stool when I want a good listen.
    You have no idea how much better this can sound - I hear things in the music I didn't realize were there before - something gets lost (or at least altered) when all those sound waves are bouncing off the walls.

Scary, you've had those things for a few weeks now but you haven't even realized their potential yet....
    Yeah, I know. I'm a baaaaad audiophile. Oh wait! That's right. I'm just an enthusiast. I'm off the hook. Yeeehaaa...
    OK OK, I still have work to do. Didn't even pick up that RS DB meter yet. Don't spank me though. They were out of stock. Is the analog one better than the digital? Why? What's a good test CD, or should I use the Yammie's built in tones? Would they work for this? My guess is no. Don't know of a way to set the frequencies of the tones.
    Can't move the seat closer because it's a huge sectional. The other end would end up blocking the window as well as the left speaker.
    Can't add a chair dead center because wifey has a giant coffee table there. I do sit on the coffee table from time to time to listen. It's in a good spot. The left speaker is about 18 inches from the side wall and almost 6 feet from the back wall. The right speaker is only 1 foot from the right, half wall/counter. The same 6 feet from the back wall. Both are heavily towed in. The right one points to the left seat while the left one points at the right seat.
    The room is 14Wx26L. The right side opens up into the kitchen & dining room at around 7 feet (see the picture in post 51. They have been moved forward since that pic). The counter goes another 6 feet. The whole "great room" is 28 wide by 26 long.
    No wall panels yet.

Sometimes I think that I'd like to move them to the pool room where it's 25x25. A nice 2 channel system would be great. My speakers down there are 20 feet apart. But how could I take such beautiful speakers out of our living room and banish them to the basement? That's just wrong!

So much to think about, so much to do, so little time left over after I get done listening.

Here is a view of the room from about where the left speaker sits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -sectional.jpg  

Holy pink...I've never seen that much pink in a married guys house since....well, even the Pink Panther has limits. Whew.

Suspended
    You'll STILL notice I haven't made any wisecracks about your living room GM...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    You'll STILL notice I haven't made any wisecracks about your living room GM...
    Go ahead. Nothing you can say will make me stop liking it. I know it looks girly pink in the pictures. When you come visit you'll know better. When will that be again? Summer will be over soon. You know you don't want to come over in January.

Kex, The measurements are:

Right speaker is 18 inches from the right wall and 46 inches from the back wall. (measured to the center of the tweeter)
    Left speaker is 27 inches from the left wall and 46.5 inches from the back.
    The right tweeter is 10 feet 1 inch from the left.
    Both speakers are 15 feet 6 inches from where I sit.

So, did you see my questions about the Rat Shack meter and test CD?

Yeah, I know. I'm a baaaaad audiophile. Oh wait! That's right. I'm just an enthusiast. I'm off the hook. Yeeehaaa...
    OK OK, I still have work to do. Didn't even pick up that RS DB meter yet. Don't spank me though. They were out of stock. Is the analog one better than the digital? Why? What's a good test CD, or should I use the Yammie's built in tones? Would they work for this? My guess is no. Don't know of a way to set the frequencies of the tones.
    I like the analog better just because I can eyeball the needle movement during peaks etc...don't think it really matters. I have DVE and AVIA for calibration discs. To be honest, for speaker calibration, YPAO and its test tones are pretty damn accurate. I have a Galaxy SPL meter as well that's super expensive and accurate, but doesn't set the speaker levels any better.

Can't move the seat closer because it's a huge sectional. The other end would end up blocking the window as well as the left speaker.
    Can't add a chair dead center because wifey has a giant coffee table there. I do sit on the coffee table from time to time to listen. It's in a good spot. The left speaker is about 18 inches from the side wall and almost 6 feet from the back wall. The right speaker is only 1 foot from the right, half wall/counter. The same 6 feet from the back wall. Both are heavily towed in. The right one points to the left seat while the left one points at the right seat.
    The room is 14Wx26L. The right side opens up into the kitchen & dining room at around 7 feet (see the picture in post 51. They have been moved forward since that pic). The counter goes another 6 feet. The whole "great room" is 28 wide by 26 long.
    No wall panels yet.
    To be honest, I can't think of anything simple to improve what you've done off the top of my head. I can appreciate not wanting to compromise the house plan just for an HT.

Sometimes I think that I'd like to move them to the pool room where it's 25x25. A nice 2 channel system would be great. My speakers down there are 20 feet apart. But how could I take such beautiful speakers out of our living room and banish them to the basement? That's just wrong!
    That's kinda what I did, the 2 channel system is in another room altogether that is not exactly the most efficient use of living space, but makes for a great 2-ch room and practice area. Of course, my speakers are ugly and covered in carpet so banishing them to another part of the home made sense. My wife has been pretty good about the audio stuff...

Ugh...I will be in yet another new home in 2008...dunno what I'm going to do. An HT room is a must. I doubt it's going to be the 24 X 20 I have now. Actually, I'd like it smaller, but not too small...maybe 20 x 14. Hmmm...Just when things were coming together perfectly...

I like the analog better just because I can eyeball the needle movement during peaks etc...don't think it really matters. I have DVE and AVIA for calibration discs. To be honest, for speaker calibration, YPAO and its test tones are pretty damn accurate. I have a Galaxy SPL meter as well that's super expensive and accurate, but doesn't set the speaker levels any better.
    Thanks. It looks like RS has them back in stock now. Can the YPAO be used by me to calibrate the subs? Between the Titanic and the 2 Mini's I have several adjustments to make for base. Knobs, knobs knobs, there are enough d'm knobs. So far, I've just been doing it by ear. It would be nice to graph the frequency curve. Does the YPAO put out white noise and the SPL will let me choose frequencies one by one? Or do I need a test CD that puts out the frequencies one by one?

To be honest, I can't think of anything simple to improve what you've done off the top of my head. I can appreciate not wanting to compromise the house plan just for an HT.
    It does sound nicer to me than anything I've spent time with. (Although those 3.6's I heard were d'm nice) I've been thinking about the panels since you brought them up. Really only have room for one though. I could use some on the ceiling for the surrounds. Lowering them would be better. Not so concerned with them right now as I've been concentrating on getting the two channels down first.

That's kind of what I did, the 2 channel system is in another room altogether that is not exactly the most efficient use of living space, but makes for a great 2-ch room and practice area. Of course, my speakers are ugly and covered in carpet so banishing them to another part of the home made sense. My wife has been pretty good about the audio stuff...
    Right now my DIY speakers are in the basement and garage. They sound better than they have a right to for what they cost me to build. (about $100 each total) Not too ugly, as I've built many in the past and have learned how to make them fairly nice. But nothing like how the Mini's look. Not sure how long it takes them to get that finish but it's beyond what I can do.

Ugh...I will be in yet another new home in 2008...dunno what I'm going to do. An HT room is a must. I doubt it's going to be the 24 X 20 I have now. Actually, I'd like it smaller, but not too small...maybe 20 x 14. Hmmm...Just when things were coming together perfectly...
    Congrats. It's great to have a new project. Don't forget to take lots of pics. I assume you'll be wiring everything ahead of time to hide the wires etc. Will there be a projector in your future? I see a few 1080p models in the $3k range. There are a few DIY screens projects out there that will get you a nice screen in the 100 to 200 range. Even a couple that are less. How far are you moving? Will it be bigger? Will there be a moose running around the yard?

Thanks. It looks like RS has them back in stock now. Can the YPAO be used by me to calibrate the subs? Between the Titanic and the 2 Mini's I have several adjustments to make for base. Knobs, knobs knobs, there are enough d'm knobs. So far, I've just been doing it by ear. It would be nice to graph the frequency curve. Does the YPAO put out white noise and the SPL will let me choose frequencies one by one? Or do I need a test CD that puts out the frequencies one by one?
    Uhh - yeah, come to think of it...my Yammie has bass test tones at least..the most this is good for is setting by ear/spl meter though. It won't do PEQ below 80 Hz or so. Which is fine. Wow...I've been on the road in 2007 as much as I've been home, haven't spent much time with that unit so you'll have to read your manual for the exact how-to's, I had to think about this one.

You'd probably want a test cd for calibrating your subs, or just use music you like and set it at a point that floats your boat.
    For test tones, look at the old threads about the BFD - find the BFD guide site and you'll find a link to the sine wave/test tones mp3's you can download.
    I don't have that link on my laptop or I'd post it.

It does sound nicer to me than anything I've spent time with. (Although those 3.6's I heard were d'm nice) I've been thinking about the panels since you brought them up. Really only have room for one though. I could use some on the ceiling for the surrounds. Lowering them would be better. Not so concerned with them right now as I've been concentrating on getting the two channels down first.
    They're cheap to make if you decide you need a few.

Right now my DIY speakers are in the basement and garage. They sound better than they have a right to for what they cost me to build. (about $100 each total) Not too ugly, as I've built many in the past and have learned how to make them fairly nice. But nothing like how the Mini's look. Not sure how long it takes them to get that finish but it's beyond what I can do.
    I didn't know you were a DIY-er...you'll have to tell me about some of your projects.

Congrats. It's great to have a new project. Don't forget to take lots of pics. I assume you'll be wiring everything ahead of time to hide the wires etc. Will there be a projector in your future? I see a few 1080p models in the $3k range. There are a few DIY screens projects out there that will get you a nice screen in the 100 to 200 range. Even a couple that are less. How far are you moving? Will it be bigger? Will there be a moose running around the yard?
    Uggh...this isn't exactly turning out to be my kind of project.
    We're either moving rather far away (Australia), or settling down in here in Canada in a more long-term, family-startin' house. Really,it's 50/50 either way at this point. All I know is my home will be sold and a new one purchased. If it's here, we'll build a home the way we want it, if it's down under, well, we'll take what we can get. But I probably will sell or give away most of my gear and start over in Australia.

If I'm still here, I promised myself an IB subwoofer system. A projector is likely in store, though I doubt I'll spend $3K on it. Dunno if I can justify $3K for 1080p. Might get cheaper one at first. I struggle to watch enough on my TV. But maybe I'll splurge.
    Yeah, I guess I could consider that a fun project. It'll soften the blow disappointment of
    not being able to move to Australia.
    Great thing about buying a house in NB, Canada compared to Atlanta - heck, Bangor even - half the money buys twice the house!

Uhh - yeah, come to think of it...my Yammie has bass test tones at least..the most this is good for is setting by ear/spl meter though. It won't do PEQ below 80 Hz or so. Which is fine. Wow...I've been on the road in 2007 as much as I've been home, haven't spent much time with that unit so you'll have to read your manual for the exact how-to's, I had to think about this one.
    Yeah, it doesn't get the base on it's own. Wasn't sure if the test tones were useful to me to set the base manually or not. I'm guessing no at this point.

You'd probably want a test cd for calibrating your subs, or just use music you like and set it at a point that floats your boat.
    For test tones, look at the old threads about the BFD - find the BFD guide site and you'll find a link to the sine wave/test tones mp3's you can download.
    I don't have that link on my laptop or I'd post it.
    I saved the link to the BFD thread with Wooch's graphs on my work computer. LJ brought it up again on the MKIII thread I started.

They're cheap to make if you decide you need a few.
    These are on that MKIII thread also.

I didn't know you were a DIY-er...you'll have to tell me about some of your projects.
    Yeah, made my first set back in 78. How old were you back then? I friend of mine worked at a place were they did warranty replacements of drivers for Genisis speakers. He had bought a few replacements and was planning to build a set. He didn't get to them right away and needed to leave for school. I traded him my Pioneer Project 100a's for the components and his "how to build a speaker" book from 1947. Those speakers lasted until 2005 when my basement flooded. The tweeters are still in use in one of the sets I built to replace them. They live in my garrage now. The 4 woofers were rotted beyond repair.

Uggh...this isn't exactly turning out to be my kind of project.
    We're either moving rather far away (Australia), or settling down in here in Canada in a more long-term, family-startin' house. Really,it's 50/50 either way at this point. All I know is my home will be sold and a new one purchased. If it's here, we'll build a home the way we want it, if it's down under, well, we'll take what we can get. But I probably will sell or give away most of my gear and start over in Australia.
    I hope you get the one that makes you the happiest. Dibbs on the amps.

If I'm still here, I promised myself an IB subwoofer system. A projector is likely in store, though I doubt I'll spend $3K on it. Dunno if I can justify $3K for 1080p. Might get cheaper one at first. I struggle to watch enough on my TV. But maybe I'll splurge.
    Yeah, I guess I could consider that a fun project. It'll soften the blow disappointment of
    not being able to move to Australia.
    Great thing about buying a house in NB, Canada compared to Atlanta - heck, Bangor even - half the money buys twice the house!
    Oh, a sub system huh? Sounds like thunder.
    Those projectors are coming down fast. They'll be less by next year. And you could always watch that Rush DVD over and over on the big screen.

Kex,

I think this is the CD that LJ recomended. http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/softframes.html

It looks like a good choice to use with the RS meter.

Yeah, it doesn't get the base on it's own. Wasn't sure if the test tones were useful to me to set the base manually or not. I'm guessing no at this point.
    Just ball park it by ear then, if it sounds good to you who cares?

Yeah, made my first set back in 78. How old were you back then?
    '78? Wow, they had speakers back then? Well, if you made them Dec1 or after, we could measure my age in days.

I hope you get the one that makes you the happiest. Dibbs on the amps.
    Yeah me too...I just don't know which one that is...It'll work itself out - win/win either way.

Oh, a sub system huh? Sounds like thunder.
    Those projectors are coming down fast. They'll be less by next year. And you could always watch that Rush DVD over and over on the big screen.
    I've struck a compromise with my wife after you mentioned projector...I'm likely getting a kitchen layout I really don't care too much about either way now, but woo hoo, the projector is a go.
    Yeah, IB subs ,IMO, the best way to go both music and HT. Unfortunately they're the least WAF-compatible. Ya pretty much have to build your room/house with them in mind.

Lemme see...Projector, new HT chairs, amp for subs, BluRay/HD-DVD player...this house is gonna cost me and I haven't even started on the house yet

Just ball park it by ear then, if it sounds good to you who cares?
    That's what I've been doing so far. But it seems like every day I'm fuxing with it. Increase this knob, decrease that knob, switch this, turn that. I always like what I end up with better than what I started with, until the next day.

'78? Wow, they had speakers back then? Well, if you made them Dec1 or after, we could measure my age in days.
    Ha ha.. Yeah, we even had indoor plumbing back then.

Yeah me too...I just don't know which one that is...It'll work itself out - win/win either way.
    That's good. Winning is best.

I've struck a compromise with my wife after you mentioned projector...I'm likely getting a kitchen layout I really don't care too much about either way now, but woo hoo, the projector is a go.
    Yeah, IB subs ,IMO, the best way to go both music and HT. Unfortunately they're the least WAF-compatible. Ya pretty much have to build your room/house with them in mind.

Did the same with my wife. She got the quartz counter tops and I got the two projectors. Now she loves them to death. They take up next to no room at all. Projector on the ceiling and a screen on the wall. Something had to go on that wall anyhow. The screen looks cool and everyone who walks into our house gasps when they see it. "Is THAT your TV? WOW!" You could always get curtains for it if she wants you to. That's easy enough. The one in the bedroom has a motorized screen. One push of a button and it rolls itself up and out of the way. Don't forget lighting control. Even the new high output projectors don't like much light. But you'd be surprised how much light you can have without a problem if it's done right.

IB subs? You may have already posted these but could I see them again? You never know what projects may come up, if and when money becomes less of an issue.

Lemme see...Projector, new HT chairs, amp for subs, BluRay/HD-DVD player...this house is gonna cost me and I haven't even started on the house yet
    Tell me about it. I sold my Harley to afford all these upgrades. But it does seem like more and more people are getting killed riding lately. You can do everything right and still end up as a wet spot on the road.

Kex,

I think this is the CD that LJ recomended. http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/softframes.html

It looks like a good choice to use with the RS meter.

This is the exact setup I use and I seem to have good results from it. This has freq. bands that are calibrated specifically for the RS meters.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    This is the exact setup I use and I seem to have good results from it. This has freq. bands that are calibrated specifically for the RS meters.
    It looks like the Rives Audio CD 2 is meant specifically for the analog RS meter. I don't know if the digital is any different but they did mention analog by name.

I just ordered the CD and am about to order the meter.

It looks like the Rives Audio CD 2 is meant specifically for the analog RS meter. I don't know if the digital is any different but they did mention analog by name.

I just ordered the CD and am about to order the meter.

Actually GM, the Rives disk has two sets of tones. One is flat and the other is calibrated for the RS analogue meter.

Not sure if you're gunna be able to read the meter with all the pink glare tho.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

The corrections are slightly different for the analog and digital models. You can find correction curves by Googling the topic. I use the digital unit and use a spreadsheet that plugs in the appropriate correction. FWIW, I use the Stereophile test disks.

Your wife would probably shoot me for suggesting this, but sometimes setting the system diagonally in a corner works very well sonically and minimizes the open wall effect you face now. On second thought, that won't work very well with your huge screen.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    The corrections are slightly different for the analog and digital models. You can find correction curves by Googling the topic. I use the digital unit and use a spreadsheet that plugs in the appropriate correction. FWIW, I use the Stereophile test disks.
    I ordered the Rives CD and analog meter already. They should work and play nicely together. The analog says that it has a jack for an external mic. Wonder if the mic that came with the Yammie would make it possible for me to hold the meter in my hand while testing.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Your wife would probably shoot me for suggesting this, but sometimes setting the system diagonally in a corner works very well sonically and minimizes the open wall effect you face now. On second thought, that won't work very well with your huge screen.

rw
    I always thought that was a no no. But anyway, as you pointed out, it won't work for my living room. Now the basement? I have lots of room there to move things around. In fact, this would help our layout a bit if I could do it. The TV would fit in the corner much better than in front of the door. It would put the left speaker very close to the pool table though. I wonder if speakers and pool sticks get along. Do you think they'd fight?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information