Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Nope. You should only need two cables connecting your cable box to the receiver. The digital 5.1 (and any digital 2.0 for that matter) will travel via a coaxial digital cable (I'm not aware of any cable boxes that have an optical digital output). Then just a regular RCA left/right cable for the analog signals. You won't need 5.1 analog since that will go through the digital coaxial. Then on the cable input on the back of the receiver you will hook up the analog. The digital coaxials are off the the right side of the panel. The reciever will automatically detect digital 5.1 signal if it is present and favor that signal. If you switch to pure direct, it will then favor the analog signal.

Of course, the 2500 has very good DACs. Mine has better DACs than my CD player or (presumably) my cable box. So you may want that digital signal going in rather than the analog.

In any event, getting new speakers is a good occasion to break out the owners manual and re-acquaint yourself with an old friend.
    I just checked. Yup, no 5.1 analog conections. But I am hooked up to optical out. Digital coax is another option.

Another thought/question. Why does my CD player have no trouble coming in through optical and still be able to use pure direct?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I have new friends and old friends. The new friends are silver. The old friends are gold.

Here, these will make you feel better.

Gosh they did make me feel better. Thanks. I liked the photos.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Maybe today I'll get to play some Barry Mannillo (sp).
    Your one lucky man GM. I see by the time of your posts your still not sleeping.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Glad to hear they worked out for you GM! I agree with Kex in saying that AV123 really has upped the anti in the "budget" arena, proving you do not need to be super-rich to afford excellent sound (although I suspect they have more than their share of "rich" customers that just appreciate getting a great deal). How AV123 can still afford to make them look so good to boot along with their superb customer service is quite the mystery... That said, I am sure no one is complaining. :-)

Many years of happy listening to you...

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Very nice GM, very nice indeed. As Kex pointed out those characters certainly know something about finishing and woodwork. It sounds like you got the buy of the year and your enthusiasm makes me excited, fer cripes sake...
    ...and thanks for the pics, their website doesn't really do them justice. Enjoy.
    Last edited by bobsticks; 07-29-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Suspended

My impressions

1. Man, if I had those speakers, I wouldn't even need a wife! Just drill an extra...
    2. Is that the sub you're going to be selling me GM?
    3. Your cat's a whore.
    4. Next to the Apogee speakers a guy I work with has, and E-Stats speakers they're probably the most unquie looking speakers I've ever seen (not that I'm an expert, but still...).
    5. The details you describe that your ears are picking up must be mind-blowing! Something I'd like to be able to experience someday
    Many happy years of listening ahead GM!

Now, you'll notice I didn't make any wisecracks about the interior decorating of your HT room didn't ya? It's definately got a woman's touch!

BTW... I just luuuuuuv all that Yamaha stuff ya got there buddy!
    Last edited by Rich-n-Texas; 07-29-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Looking good there GM. That Hot Lavender Pink wall really matches your personality. I would say they sound incredible after 100 hours.

JRA

So there it is guys and gals. Talk later. More listening to take place now.
    Cool beans, GM. I'll bet they sound sweet. The funny thing about really good speakers is that they don't sound impressive at first blush - just natural. That's the way it should be.

Enjoy!

ps: the cat seems to approve as well. Zoe (my cat) loves to listen with me as well.

rw

Congrats....

....Mike. Looking sweet.
    I am with E-Stat as to really good stuff is never that impressive on first listen, but boy will it last.
    No cat over here though.

Enjoy.

Peace

"Let The Earth Bear Witness."

congrats (again) Mike,
    I too agree that new stuff doesn't sound impressive when you just have it, but trust me, at this time you'll like them alot, and sooner or later you'll be addicted to them

and that's a nice cat you got there, and she even seems to enjoy it
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Thanks everyone. I really do enjoy them now. They seem to open up a little more each day. They get hours of use even when I'm not home. Between the wife and her soft rock station, and Pop watching TV all day, they get plenty of use.

Tex, You are a very sick man. Seek help. But I still think that those B&W's of yours are some very nice speakers as well. If I already had those, I may never had looked into upgrading. And yeah, that's the sub. Do you still want to pay me almost $400 more than you could buy one new at PE? Now that really is sick!

The cat does seem to love the music. She likes to watch the TV when it's on too. I always wonder what she must be thinking.
    Last edited by GMichael; 07-30-2007 at 06:20 AM.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Cats don't hink.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Cats don't hink.
    GMs does!
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

1. Man, if I had those speakers, I wouldn't even need a wife! Just drill an extra...
    2. Is that the sub you're going to be selling me GM?
    3. Your cat's a whore.
    4. Next to the Apogee speakers a guy I work with has, and E-Stats speakers they're probably the most unquie looking speakers I've ever seen (not that I'm an expert, but still...).
    5. The details you describe that your ears are picking up must be mind-blowing! Something I'd like to be able to experience someday
    Many happy years of listening ahead GM!

Now, you'll notice I didn't make any wisecracks about the interior decorating of your HT room didn't ya? It's definately got a woman's touch!

BTW... I just luuuuuuv all that Yamaha stuff ya got there buddy!
    You must have an LCD monitor. The walls look pink to me also when I look at them on my home computer (LCD monitor). They look normal when I look at the pics here at work (CRT monitor).

Leave my kitty alone. You're not her type.

You must have an LCD monitor. The walls look pink to me also when I look at them on my home computer (LCD monitor). They look normal when I look at the pics here at work (CRT monitor)..
    Sure GM, sure

Me thinkin you're like a buddy of mine...he loves pinks and purples.

Peace

How do you know?
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    You must have an LCD monitor. The walls look pink to me also when I look at them on my home computer (LCD monitor). They look normal when I look at the pics here at work (CRT monitor).
    No. I don't have an LCD monitor. LCD's aren't allowed in my house. I didn't say you had pink walls, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Guy
    Okay...I gotta say it...who picked the wall colors in your room, you or your wife???
    And then...
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA
    That Hot Lavender Pink wall really matches your personality
    And you said...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lavender Guy
    I picked the living room color. But it's not really as pink as it looks in these pics. They are much darker into the maroon. But they do have a pinkish tint.
    I said...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex
    You're convicting me of a crime I didn't commit!

Quote Originally Posted by HLG
    We've already been down that road.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Sure GM, sure

Me thinkin you're like a buddy of mine...he loves pinks and purples.

Peace
    Is he cute?

We've already been down that road.
    And that's why we got the first restraining order.

Is he cute?
    Actually GM he's quite normal and a fairly cool dude, just has something about pink and purples I guess, his wife likes those colors to so all's good. After knowing him for 30+ years you tend to accept it.

Every day they sound better and better. Last night I went through all of my Yes and Pink Floyd. What a great night!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -mini-flash.jpg  

Today I'm going through all of my Rush. This may take awhile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -mini-no-flash.jpg  

Forget the pics of the cat with the speaks, I wanna see Boo Boo next to the Mini's!

Congrats on your new toys, Mike. Really happy to hear they are giving you so much pleasure. Enjoy 'em, you've earned 'em!

BTW, speaking of Rush, I just saw them live last night in NorCal on their Snakes and Arrows tour. Neil has a brand new kit (Red is the new Black) and it sounds fantastic! A little pared down compared to some of his older kits, but really tight...and what a solo! For a bunch of old rockers, the only other band I've seen recently that plays as tight was the Eagles. Great show, don't miss it if they come your way.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Forget the pics of the cat with the speaks, I wanna see Boo Boo next to the Mini's!

Congrats on your new toys, Mike. Really happy to hear they are giving you so much pleasure. Enjoy 'em, you've earned 'em!

BTW, speaking of Rush, I just saw them live last night in NorCal on their Snakes and Arrows tour. Neil has a brand new kit (Red is the new Black) and it sounds fantastic! A little pared down compared to some of his older kits, but really tight...and what a solo! For a bunch of old rockers, the only other band I've seen recently that plays as tight was the Eagles. Great show, don't miss it if they come your way.
    Boo Boo wouldn't hold still long enough for me to get a picture. Maybe next time.

Thanks, I do enjoy them very much.

Rush is an excelent show. They've been fantastic every time I've seen them. Red huh? Sounds cool. I like red.

Congratulations!!! Those are some very good looking speaker cabinets.

Let us know how it sounds after you get the system calibrated.

I would be inclined to move them a little more inboard, away from the side walls and see if that makes a difference in your room.

Enjoy!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information