My $10 speakers........

Printable View

  • 09-05-2008, 05:31 PM
    thekid
    My $10 speakers........
    Well I thought my Genesis I pick-up for $8 was a steal but they needed a re-foam. Today I picked up a pair of Realistic Minimus 7's for $10 and what an amazing little speaker! There are almost like cubes but surprising ly heavy. Produces highs incredibly well and for its size produces more bass than expected but needs help with a little EQ/Bass boost. I might have to hook these up with a sub and see how it goes.

    Anyone know these and could give me some background info on them?
  • 09-08-2008, 06:06 AM
    bfalls
    These were very popular for some time. You should be able to find a lot of mods aand tweeks for them. I've also heard they sound excellent "stacked".
  • 09-08-2008, 02:39 PM
    thekid
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bfalls
    These were very popular for some time. You should be able to find a lot of mods aand tweeks for them. I've also heard they sound excellent "stacked".

    I think they would be kind of fun to try and mod but not sure given their size and drivers how much you could get out of a tweek.

    BTW-I may have gotten ahead of myself a bit when mentioning the Minimus in the same sentence as the Genesis I's. The Genesis are definetly the cheapest speaker score I have made but I finally re-foamed them this weekend and gave them a test run last night. Incredible sound and I think they replace the TF-600's as the best speaker I own. I have a pair of EPI 100's waiting to be re-foamed and they are cousins of the Genesis I's so it may be close call as to which are the better speakers.
  • 09-08-2008, 03:07 PM
    Feanor
    7s
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thekid
    Well I thought my Genesis I pick-up for $8 was a steal but they needed a re-foam. Today I picked up a pair of Realistic Minimus 7's for $10 and what an amazing little speaker! There are almost like cubes but surprising ly heavy. Produces highs incredibly well and for its size produces more bass than expected but needs help with a little EQ/Bass boost. I might have to hook these up with a sub and see how it goes.

    Anyone know these and could give me some background info on them?

    I've owned a pair of unmodded Minimus 7s for many years. Right now they're doing service in our bedroom system mount on the end wall close to the ceiling. I can't say they are great speakers, definitely incapable of decent bass although they will take a certain amount of tone control boost. The midrange is peaky too.
  • 09-08-2008, 03:14 PM
    thekid
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Feanor
    I've owned a pair of unmodded Minimus 7s for many years. Right now they're doing service in our bedroom system mount on the end wall close to the ceiling. I can't say they are great speakers, definitely incapable of decent bass although they will take a certain amount of tone control boost. The midrange is peaky too.

    F

    I'd agree with your points. I think it was more a question of my having low expectations and their SQ relative to size that affected my initial opinion.
  • 09-11-2008, 06:44 PM
    thekid
    Let me add an addition to this post.
    I was cruising CL and saw an ad for 2 pairs of speakers for $10.
    I looked at the pic which was not the best quality but noticed the one pair seemed to have nice wood cabinets and beige/white grills. I thought they might be another pair of Genesis Physics so I called the owner and they were still available so i stopped by on my way home from work tonight. Turns out they were a pair of KLH 17's. Original woofers in very good shape though I think the tweeters have been replaced. Badges are missing but the grills are in otherwise very good condition. Cabinets need a good cleaning and probably need a restain but there are no nicks or gouges. Initial SQ check is very positive similar to the Genesis/EPI sound though not quite sure if they have the same clear upper end but they can thump pretty well especially for their size.


    When I get a working camera I will try and post some pics of these and the Minimus 7's. Until then I am posting the original photo from CL.