Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Music Subs: Which brands do it best? (HSU content)

I recently inherited a HSU VTF-2 MK2 sub and i'm wondering how well it stacks up in terms of musical reproduction. I listen mainly to classical, jazz, and indie rock and i'm much more concerned with the ability to reproduce bass notes cleanly and quickly without distortion, booming, sloppiness, and all those other nasty pitfalls that have come to characterize so many larger HT-oriented subs.

I've done some research, and, from what i can gather, a sealed sub is what i'd ideally be looking for considering the more gradual low-extension drop off. The obvious compromise to a sealed setup would be maximum output, though thats not a priority for me.

Fortunately, despite high praise among the HT community, the VTF-2 also has a max-extension mode allowing one of the two ports to be plugged, thereby effectively lowering the frequency response to ~25hz, which makes me happy. How well does this work? Is a "hybrid" setup like this recommendable?

And more specifically, has anyone bought a HSU sub for incorporation with a setup build chiefly for music? If so, how do you like it?

I hear a lot of good things about the Martin Logan Dynamo - maybe i'd be better off trying to pawn the VTF-2 on ebay as it's in flawless shape - it basically sat in the box for two years. Decisions...

Any and all suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated.

Well...

I have a HSU VTF-2 that's been doing double duty in my main system since the company first introduced the model. I find HSU subs to be outstanding for both music and movies. I don't work for em, never met the man (heard he's nice though), but Hsu has provided me with outstanding bang for the buck and since I've been running it for some 5 years now, it's obviously built to last.

Hope this helps...

Da Worfster

The Martin Logan subs are great for music and I would assume better than the HSU's for music although I have never heard an HSU. The Dynamo is a great buy and I saw it for $499 at a discount online store. It sells for $599 and is a real bargain at either price.
    The ML Grotto is even better if your willing to spend about $1200. Its servo controlled.

Others to consider are the Velodyne SPL series as they are non ported as well. Their digital drive series is also servo controlled and are great for music.

If you want to spend about $1500-2,000, look at the REL subs.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Worf, thanks for the testimony; it's encouraging to know that it's a versatile sub, not to mention durable. What genres of music do you typically listen to?

Oh and for what it's worth, i'm from Schenectady

I'm a Brooklyn NY native!
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

With subs, it's more than just the brand that you need to consider.

The Hsus are very well regarded because they provide excellent performance for the price. The ML Dynamo is also well regarded, but it's a fundamentally different design because it uses a sealed box. And that distinction is crucial.

But, the performance in your room also depends on the sub's compatibility with your room dimensions, the sub positioning, and the calibration.

We've had several threads on this subject over the years, but generally I would recommend going with sealed subs if you have a small room (i.e., with wall dimensions less than ~12 feet), and ported subs if you want higher bass output within a larger room.

In between, some would say that sealed subs are more "musical" because of their quicker transient response and the more gradual rolloff at the low end. But, that's not to say that a ported sub can't also make for a fine unit with music. The Hsu VTF-2's port plug works in conjunction with an internal EQ circuit on the sub amp that maintains a comparably flat response curve, albeit with a lower maximum output.

Right now, the market is dominated by ported subs, primarily because their greater efficiency and higher measured bass output is geared towards the home theater market. But, I've found that in a small room, the boundary reinforcement will very quickly create an overpowering effect. The advantage of a sealed sub is that the low end rolloff occurs at roughly the same rate as the boundary reinforcement. In a small room, that boundary reinforcement begins at a higher frequency, and if a sub maintains a level response down to ~25 Hz, that means that the actual in-room output on those lower frequencies can actually be more than doubled.

In a large room with wall dimensions of ~40 feet or more, a sub that measures flat under anecholic conditions will have a similarly flat in-room response curve. But, as the room dimensions shrink, the boundary reinforcement will raise the curve at the low end, and also introduce wave interactions that create cancellations and peaks at different frequencies.

Because most rooms have wall dimensions under 20', you will have room interactions. You can minimize them through careful placement Regardless of whether you go with a sealed or ported sub, I think should look into a parametric equalizer. EQ'ing the sub IMO is more important to attaining a "musical" bass quality than the type of sub you go with.

The Behringer Feedback Destroyer is a very popular unit on this board, and it has worked wonders with my setup. Velodyne and other companies also make their own auto calibrating subwoofer EQs (the auto calibration that comes with most receivers is ineffective in the lower frequencies).
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    What's your budget if you buy new? Is there going to be any home theater use at all?

A very informative post, Woochifer -

The ML Dynamo is also well regarded, but it's a fundamentally different design because it uses a sealed box. And that distinction is crucial
    I believe a sealed sub is precisely what i want; however, it's not what i have. I'm just wondering how adept the HSU will be at filling the role of something sealed.

But, the performance in your room also depends on the sub's compatibility with your room dimensions, the sub positioning, and the calibration.
    This is very true. My rig is currently in a rather large (30x18 or so) rectangular room. The only catch is a wood stove and a phone booth on either side of my mains, preventing me from placing the sub there. I've got limited options and several peices of furniture in the way, precluding perfect placement. I've basically come to accept the acoustic flaws of the room.

I won't be here permanently though, and as such i'm not too concerned about mating the perfect sub to this particular room. I'd like to get something versatile and as close as possible to what i'd ideally like, i.e. a clean, musical bass note.

What's your budget if you buy new? Is there going to be any home theater use at all?
    That depends on the market for a used, albiet in excellent condition, VTF-2. I may not even have to sell it if it fits my criteria well enough.

I would also be using it for HT on occasion, although musical performance would be paramount.

Forum Regular
    I have a jm labs cobalt sw800s which is a large sealed design and it is very good musically and blends perfectly with my cobalt floorstanders. It will also deliver the goods for ht.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    EQ'ing the sub IMO is more important to attaining a "musical" bass quality than the type of sub you go with.
    I think Woochifer really hit the nail on the head with that statement!

In the old days it was general consensus that the sealed subs had better transient response and tended to be more musical, all things being equal. However, in recent years I believe this difference has almost disappeared with significant improvements in ported designs. There are simply many fine subs with both designs.

Due to room acoustics the best performance results in quality subs properly placed and calibrated in each individual room. This not a simple matter of setting the sub where it looks best. The process is somewhat complicated and time consuming but the results are worthwhile.

IMO some form of equalization is essential in most rooms. This can include a sub's built-in EQ, external equalizers such as the Behringer BFD, the Velodyne SM-1, a manual in-receiver EQ or even a simple 31 band graphic mono pro EQ. Don't laugh on the last one. I actually used an ART 351 EQ (about $125), the same unit that SVS used to sell. I used the lower 7 sliders or so to lower significant peaks. It worked extremely well in my room. A Radio Shack sound pressure level meter (the analog one only, not the digital model) and a frequency response tone CD are essential tools for obtaining a flat in-room response for most subs. A sub that sounds slow and not musical might sound great when moved to a better location in the same room and properly calibrated.

Another important issue is to make sure one has plenty of power headroom for the main speakers to add the dynamic/transient response necessary to give that quick tight/snap/punch that most people think is actually in the sub. It is mostly the overtones/harmonics from the subs fundamental notes that are in the upper bass/midrange and reproduced by the main speakers. If the amp runs out of gas and clips (audible distortion) this muddies that tight sound. This can also be the result of high distortion in the sub. Be sure you pick a model that has low distortion levels. This is one reason why many of the tiny mini cube style subs tend to sound mushy.

RR6

http://www.axiomaudio.com/tightbass.html

Hey Neighbor!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canadia507
    Worf, thanks for the testimony; it's encouraging to know that it's a versatile sub, not to mention durable. What genres of music do you typically listen to?

Oh and for what it's worth, i'm from Schenectady
    Well, mostly I listen to "Old School" RnB. Atlantic, Motown Funk and Soul. BUT my 15 year ole knucklehead listens to Indie Rock etc. Yes, the HSU is versatile and durable, but there's been many improvements to subs since mine was made. Some models have remote controls, some have self calibration programs as well. You came to the "right" place for advice. I personally think either course of action is doable but knowing what a pain shipping stuff can be (unless you find a locak buyer) I'd just keep the thing and run it till something markedly better came along.

But that's just me.

Da Worfster

PS when's the last time you were in GE town?

Da Worfster and others might be interested in this.

This is the best $8 you will ever spend on a DVD (I paid $6 for it a couple of years ago and they have bumped the price a little). There are a couple of new more expensive deluxe versions that I have not seen.

".....STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOTOWN won the 2003 Grammy Award for Best Compilation Album For A Motion Picture Or Television......"

This is a two disc set, including the documentary about the Funk Brothers with all the music and a second disc with just the music. If you didn't think white woman could sing wait until you hear Joan Osborne belt out Heat Wave. Simply fantastic! Great sound(DD/DTS)! It is a steal at 8 bucks.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...ductId=5751608

RR6

DIY Sub

You can also build a high quality sub with proper research. I bult a sub using the Infinity
    Kappa perfect 12 VQ and it sounds fantastic! No bloom or sloppiness and it hits low.

Errrr...

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    Da Worfster and others might be interested in this.

This is the best $8 you will ever spend on a DVD (I paid $6 for it a couple of years ago and they have bumped the price a little). There are a couple of new more expensive deluxe versions that I have not seen.

".....STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOTOWN won the 2003 Grammy Award for Best Compilation Album For A Motion Picture Or Television......"

This is a two disc set, including the documentary about the Funk Brothers with all the music and a second disc with just the music. If you didn't think white woman could sing wait until you hear Joan Osborne belt out Heat Wave. Simply fantastic! Great sound(DD/DTS)! It is a steal at 8 bucks.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...ductId=5751608

RR6
    Been there, glad I done that. I've owned this 2 disk DVD for YEARS. It's marvelous. I play bass for pay in my off hours, been doing this since Nixon was President, Jamerson has been a hero of mine since the '70's Being old enough to have lived through the enitre Motown Era I found myself reduced to tears several times during my repeated watchings of the documentary. Like real life, there weren't a lot of "happy endings" for Jamerson and Co. but the music my God, what music. When they finally perform "What's Going On?" and "Ain't No Mountain" chills run up and down my spine. Marvelous, simply marvelous.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular

Subwoofer suggestion needed

My current system

Paradigm Signature S4 -- Fronts
    Paradigm C-4 center
    Paradigm Monitor 5 Rear
    Energy Es XL10 SUb
    B&K REF 30 preamp
    B&K 7570 Multi channel amp

In my current system right now my weakest link is the Subwoofer. I am planning to upgrade. I am planning to spend upto $1000 for a Second available in Audiogon.

My requirement 75% Two channel audio 25% Movies.

Which ones could match.

My questions are

1. Is it reliable to buy a used subwoofer thru Audiogon

2. It is not possible for me to audition the Sub with my system. Is that ok.

3. Which ones would be the best in my budget range.

Thanks
    Pandu

There are many good subs in the $$600-$1,000 range. If your planning on spending $1K consider the following

Martin Login Grotto which is servo controlled and non ported

Velodyne SPL subs

Any of the REL subs in this price range. Check out Sumiko Audio for new REL subs http://www.sumikoaudio.net/rel/index.htm
    They make some of the best Subs in the world

B&W PV1

And the Martin Logan Dynamo which is a steal at $600 new. Its non ported, very musical and blows away many subs costing hundreds more.

Hope this helps some. There are many more excellent subs but these are some of my favorites and all are highly rated. If your more into 2ch audio, stick with an 8-10" sub.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I see quite a few rel subs available in Audiogon. I am looking for strata II or strata III. How old are they. Stadium and storm series are heavier and bigger. I am not intrested in them.

How do you feel about them.

Thanks
    pandu

The strata subs are excellent.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Blackraven and others.

I see that Rel subs are down firing. I live in a house where walls are built by brick and cement and the flooring is all marble and concrete underneath it. Though I plan to have a carpet covered over the flooring, Does the type of sub( downfiring vs front firing and ported vs non ported.) has any impact on the sound quality.

Can you also explain what means ported and non ported subs.

Thanks
    Pandu

A ported sub has an open hole in the cabinet and a non ported sub does not. I favor non ported subs as they usually have a tighter bass.

Not all REL subs are down firing.

It should not matter using a down firing sub on your floors.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Cool

AS far as "musical" there is only ONE company that does it right
    B&W.
    My ASW2500 is great for movies, but for music its OUTSTANDING.
    As for the Mowtown disc, couldnt beleive that it was in the bargain bin at Walfart .
    I play it on my computer in HD, run the sound through my stereo.
    Joan Osborn is the most unreconized talent in the industry,
    although she does rely a tad much on "standards"
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular

That would be fine...

Quote Originally Posted by pdhanwada
    Blackraven and others.

I see that Rel subs are down firing. I live in a house where walls are built by brick and cement and the flooring is all marble and concrete underneath it. Though I plan to have a carpet covered over the flooring, Does the type of sub( downfiring vs front firing and ported vs non ported.) has any impact on the sound quality.

Can you also explain what means ported and non ported subs.

Thanks
    Pandu
    ...my situation is just that - slab flooring, carpet, and a REL Strata III.

The Strata comes up from below and meets the speakers, letting them run full-range. My roll-off is set at 38 cycles, adding a subtle (but important) foundation.

Yeah, a down-firing driver seems counter-intuitive, but at no point is the sub detectable as a single source... she blends very well. Below 80 cycles (IIRC) bass is non-directional.

As with most subs, there are plenty of adjustments to suit your room.

When we moved into our condo, I thought there would be some lumpy bass/bad imaging... the front 1/3 of the left wall is open to a foyer area. As it turns out, the bass actually seems smoother than it was in my last livingroom. Imaging didn't suffer either - I thought the soundstage would be pulled to the right (closed) side... not so.

Guess that's how much I know about acoustics! B^)

Forum Regular

Fast Subwoofers

When I see some comments about subwoofer performance, They rate it with the speed of the subwoofer matching the speakers.

What is that.

What do you mean when you say My subwoofer is fast.

I dont understand.

Thanks
    pandu

A fast sub means tight well controlled bass without boom or muddiness. The movement of the woofer is well controlled and not sloppy. Non ported subs and servo controlled subs tend to be "Fast". Also, smaller woofer's tend to be faster because of less woofer movement compared to lets say a 12"-15" woofer. With that being said, you can still get a fast sub with a large woofer, your just going to pay out your nose for it.

Thats why martin logan subs are non ported and some servo controlled so that the bass can keep up with their electrostatic speakers.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    A fast sub means tight well controlled bass without boom or muddiness. The movement of the woofer is well controlled and not sloppy. Non ported subs and servo controlled subs tend to be "Fast". Also, smaller woofer's tend to be faster because of less woofer movement compared to lets say a 12"-15" woofer. With that being said, you can still get a fast sub with a large woofer, your just going to pay out your nose for it.

Thats why martin logan subs are non ported and some servo controlled so that the bass can keep up with their electrostatic speakers.
    I believe the opposite is true?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information