Monster Subwoofer

Printable View

  • 01-28-2007, 12:01 PM
    VE4CAN
    Monster Subwoofer
    This has been around on the web for some time..
    It's still fun to have a re-look now and then...:yikes:

    http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm


    Top view layout
    http://www.royaldevice.com/customita1.htm
  • 01-28-2007, 01:34 PM
    Florian
    Now that just puts mine to shame :6:
  • 01-28-2007, 01:41 PM
    Luvin Da Blues
    WOW!!!

    This got me thinking....could a guy build something similar (but smaller and out of wood) in the attic space and have ceiling loaded Sub drivers?

    Forgive my ignorance..just thinking out load
  • 01-28-2007, 02:11 PM
    VE4CAN
    HeHeHeHe
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    Now that just puts mine to shame :6:

    And you thought you vibration problems
    With this monster WMD the entire neigbourhood has a vibration problem:lol:
  • 01-28-2007, 02:43 PM
    audio_dude
    hellz ya!

    OHHH, i'm sooo building one of those when I get my own house!

    screw shaking the house, lets shake the BLOCK!!!

    WOOOT!
  • 01-28-2007, 06:29 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    WOW!!!

    This got me thinking....could a guy build something similar (but smaller and out of wood) in the attic space and have ceiling loaded Sub drivers?

    Forgive my ignorance..just thinking out load

    There's absolutely no reason as far as they physics is concerned -- above or below, it'd be the same.

    But practically, the matter develops a problem that one wouldn't have in the flooring -- namely stability and support.

    But yeah, not all of us can dig into our foundation like that, an attic-based subwoofer system like that might be more realistic -- I wouldn't recommend concrete though -- a nice stiff non-resonant wood-based one would be more practical in an attic.

    It also might get warm up there -- I'd make sure those drivers got some sort of cooling system on them (though you don't want them to breathe too much).
  • 01-30-2007, 01:27 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    WOW!!!

    This got me thinking....could a guy build something similar (but smaller and out of wood) in the attic space and have ceiling loaded Sub drivers?

    Forgive my ignorance..just thinking out load

    You might want to look into an infinite baffle sub. It's the kind of thing that would easily work in your attic. It would require little or no construction to work. An infinite baffle woofer merely requires a large rear chamber. An attic or basement is ideal for this. The sound will be equally loud in the basement or attic.:cool:
  • 01-30-2007, 01:40 PM
    GMichael
    Can you say, "THUMP!"?
  • 01-30-2007, 04:42 PM
    markw
    Infinite baffle, you say?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    You might want to look into an infinite baffle sub. It's the kind of thing that would easily work in your attic. It would require little or no construction to work. An infinite baffle woofer merely requires a large rear chamber. An attic or basement is ideal for this. The sound will be equally loud in the basement or attic.:cool:

    Back in "the day" when I did installs, one of our favorite tricks was to mount JBL LE-14C's on a wall that backed into a temperature controlled garage. Quick and clean install with a great result.

    as a benefit, you also had sound in the garage, less highs of course ;)
  • 01-30-2007, 04:51 PM
    VE4CAN
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GMichael
    Can you say, "THUMP!"?


    Ya, it's thump alright.
    But thump with a twist only if I am understanding any of this correctly.

    They are getting a max. efficiency of 120dB/ 1 Watt/1 meter from the horns.
    The listening position [in the room] is 6 meters from frontal horn ports
    At that distance they still have 100 dB with only 1 Watt of drive to each horn bank...:crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol:
    They said that the max. power they could stand was 6 watts to each.

    They went on to say that if those 16 - 18" woofers were driven to their max. rating for the group..
    A sound pressure wave of 160 dB would be realized.
    No one would survive.
    Not even a house built of steel & concrete would remain standing. :lol: :lol:

    It would be nice to see that happen on the TV program Mythbusters

    Give the site a good read and let me know if I have any of this wrong
    I'm no expert......

    .
  • 01-31-2007, 04:26 AM
    basite
    saw it before,
    now I want it!

    these guys are crazy,
    why on earth do you need so much bass?


    Flo, nooo,
    you don't need one,
    don't, ...no...
    don't even think about it...
    oh crap...

    too late.

    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 01-31-2007, 07:52 AM
    JoeE SP9
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by markw
    Back in "the day" when I did installs, one of our favorite tricks was to mount JBL LE-14C's on a wall that backed into a temperature controlled garage. Quick and clean install with a great result.

    as a benefit, you also had sound in the garage, less highs of course ;)

    I've been doing some searching and it would make a lot of lot of sense if I cut a hole in the floor and used my basement as the back side of an IB subwoofer.
  • 01-31-2007, 08:11 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by basite
    ...why on earth do you need so much bass?...

    I said it before, and I'll say it again -- don't think of it as "extra bass", think of it as extra headroom.

    Also, they're not using a bass reflex design -- they're using horn loading. Which is notoriously more inefficient.