Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    So you have just described what a Von Schwiekert speaker sounds like as well as my Clearfield Continentals, which are VS's when he worked for Counterpoint.

LOL, then my 82s
    Wow...thaks Hyfi...I will seek to listen to a pair. I think we have a dealer in town.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I really liked the RS5, and wish MA made an RX5. I would consider buying a pair. The RS had a little too much high frequency energy for me. The new RX series really tames that, but having 2 woofers per speaker isn't something that I am looking for. Too much for the room I think, plus a more complex design can lead to sound compromises. I prefer one woofer/one tweeter setup in a small floorstander, at least for the room I have.

I think I am of the mind that a room will accept a certain size of speaker as it's ideal fit. If a bookshelf like the MoFi's sound great in your room, should you expect a much larger speaker like the RS6 to sound as good? JM, do you think that what might sound like cabinet resonances that obscure details, is actually just too much speaker for your room?

I think I've had the most luck in my room with relatively large bookshelf speakers (PMC TB2i, Tannoy Mercury F2). But small 2-way floorstanders work well too. I fear that introducing larger bookshelves or floorstanders simply would not work.
    Naim Nait 5i
    Naim CD5X
    Wharfedale Evo2-10
    Linn LP12
    Cambridge Audio 650P, and 550T
    LFD and Nordost cables

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    What size is your room? My room is 15' x 11' which isn't large and I had floorstanders with 2 8" woofers each and it was too much for the room. I went to a large standmount (Usher X-719's) and I wasn't getting the full range that I was looking for. Then I went back to floorstanders but with 2 6" woofers and that was the right compromise. The bass is there, tight and well defined. Not boomy like the dual 8" woofers. Keep us in the loop on what works for your room. I know a lot of the guys here have worked hard to tame a not perfect room.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YBArcam View Post
    I really liked the RS5, and wish MA made an RX5. I would consider buying a pair. The RS had a little too much high frequency energy for me. The new RX series really tames that, but having 2 woofers per speaker isn't something that I am looking for. Too much for the room I think, plus a more complex design can lead to sound compromises. I prefer one woofer/one tweeter setup in a small floorstander, at least for the room I have.

I think I am of the mind that a room will accept a certain size of speaker as it's ideal fit. If a bookshelf like the MoFi's sound great in your room, should you expect a much larger speaker like the RS6 to sound as good? JM, do you think that what might sound like cabinet resonances that obscure details, is actually just too much speaker for your room?

I think I've had the most luck in my room with relatively large bookshelf speakers (PMC TB2i, Tannoy Mercury F2). But small 2-way floorstanders work well too. I fear that introducing larger bookshelves or floorstanders simply would not work.

I think since the midrange was where a lot of the detail was lost it was cabinet resonances. My room is 12 ft x 15 ft with the speakers against the 12 ft wall. The living room is open to the dining area which is another 12 ft x 8 ft space.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

The Monitor Audio RS6's are on their way out. As I posted in another thread I purchased stands for the OML1's that have allowed them to truly sing. The stands are more rigid than previous stands and couple the speaker to the floor better. Now the sound is more detailed and a little fuller in the upper bass and are more defined in the mid bass and what low bass they can reproduce. The tweeter is at a level where it sounds sweeter and more instrumental textures.

I think now I am truly hearing all the best from the OML1's. I am glad I bought the new stands instead of new loudspeakers. The OML1's I now know are incredible and I only spent a little money to find that out.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Glad you like the stands and the improvement in sound. I can say the same for my Cantons with those same stands.

That sort explains why when I took the Cantons to Peabodys and had the shoot out with his Dynaudio books shelves, why the Cantons sitting on top of another pair of speakers did not produce much bass. But when I got them back to my home and sat them back on the Sanus SF 26 stands the bass was full again. Thanks for the tip JM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Yes..I like what you have discribed of theOML1's ....I listen to mostly Jazz. Acoustic Jazz, old school R&b and some classical now and then. Thanks...I dont think MF makes the OML1's speaker any more. But I would suspect its the very same as the LSA1. Thanks, I would not be afraid of a LSA1 purchase now if a great possibility arose having some understanding of the character.

I would like to hear the LSA1's and VR1's side by side with the OML1's. They all look like they use the same drivers but the crossovers are reported to be tweaked by the different companies. The VR1 looks like it is only single wired where the other two are bi-wired. The OML1 is the only speaker in the group with a sloping front baffle. They all three have the same narrow port in the same place. Interesting
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended

This BBS very interesting

great experience, dude! thanks for this great post wow... it's very wonderful report.

Quote Originally Posted by ZisheseLiex View Post
    great experience, dude! thanks for this great post wow... it's very wonderful report.

Wow dude, thanks I look forward to your next post.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Speakers are somewhat personal but if you can I would go with something larger than the likes of a dulcet from what I can see from the picture of your room. A well rounded bigger more dynamic speaker tends to sound like it breathes easier. The De Capo - but I preferred the sound of the older model - the newer one has a bit of a midrange suckout that is audible - and the tweeter ends up being more noticeable as a result.

A used set of Audio Note J's beside the window up against the wall would be one option (always is with me so won't disappoint from expectations. Against the wall you'll get down to 30-35hz. Corner would be better.

Alternatively, I would look into Sonist loudspeakers - they have a ribbon tweeter and a nice non irritating treble band. Integration isn't bang on (never is with very different driver technology in these hybrid systems - but better than usual) and they're modestly priced.

I don't know what you listen to but if you can't go near wall or corner and looks are important - and you never ever plan to go to SET or low powered amps - and you value something that can hit very hard and play rock that seems like an actual band is in your room and not completely absurdly priced the Gallo 3.5 (not the 3.1) and you may have to look used to afford it - is a terrific heartpounding speaker with first rate bass response. Very clean sound - Personally I think this is the SS lover's dream loudspeaker for that uber powerful presentation. And apparently it is not too terrible for low powered amps either - so.

Today I played a Nina Simone collection that I had played on the RS6's but had not heard on the OML1's in too long a time. Today's discovery was that the OML1's do funk much better. As Nina and band were getting funky I found myself really grooving to the music. The RS6's do not get funky.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I would like to hear the LSA1's and VR1's side by side with the OML1's. They all look like they use the same drivers but the crossovers are reported to be tweaked by the different companies. The VR1 looks like it is only single wired where the other two are bi-wired. The OML1 is the only speaker in the group with a sloping front baffle. They all three have the same narrow port in the same place. Interesting
    I know the other two, but not the VR1's. Who makes them?

Today I played a Nina Simone collection that I had played on the RS6's but had not heard on the OML1's in too long a time. Today's discovery was that the OML1's do funk much better. As Nina and band were getting funky I found myself really grooving to the music. The RS6's do not get funky.
    Is it that the OML's are in a different class than the RS6? Perhaps the next line up in Monitor Audio will be more in the class of the OML's?

I know the other two, but not the VR1's. Who makes them?

http://www.vonschweikert.com/interface/vr1_main.htm
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Is it that the OML's are in a different class than the RS6? Perhaps the next line up in Monitor Audio will be more in the class of the OML's?

I think it has more to do with sound preferences than a particular brand. The MA's were my first speakers with metal woofer/mids. I have enjoyed a few speakers with metal domes but I think I am happiest with paper and silk. I might enjoy a stand mount MA but the OML1's are doing so well on short stands with their angled front baffle that I think I will be happy for awhile. I still think the cabinets blurred the sound of the RS6's.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thanks sir...I will be moving up in speakers and I would love to move up in the Canton line maybe the Canton Ergo, or if I can find a deal, the Karat or Vento line. But it can be a challenge finding a dealer in the states let alone in St. Louis where I can hear them. The Vonschweikart VR-1...is that a discontinued speaker? If they are a clone to your stand mount speakers I am interested and will put them on my list as a possible reference speaker.

I think it has more to do with sound preferences than a particular brand. The MA's were my first speakers with metal woofer/mids. I have enjoyed a few speakers with metal domes but I think I am happiest with paper and silk. I might enjoy a stand mount MA but the OML1's are doing so well on short stands with their angled front baffle that I think I will be happy for awhile. I still think the cabinets blurred the sound of the RS6's.
    I tell ya....there is nothing more satisfying to know that speakers that you own are pushing out sound the way you love it. My Cantons do that, but lately I have been looking for a tad more in the bottom end punch...not much but just a tad. But good speakers bring a smile to my face....I have my play list in my head while at work so when I get home from a hard days work of stress....I can sit back in the easy chair and relax while I de-stress.

Well the Monitor Audio RS6's are out of the closet. I wanted to hear how they sounded with the AntiCable bi-wires. As I had mentioned with the OML 1's the Anti's allow you to hear the speakers and electronics more than the cables. I am finding that my opinion of what I was hearing with the RS6's had more to do with the cables than the cabinet vibrations. Beethoven's 5th is sounding very good.

I enjoy that bit more of a foundation from the extra driver and a tad more bass. Of course only time and more listening will tell.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Back to the MA RS6's. Listening sessions can get messy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monitor Audio RS6-009-smaller.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well the RS6's continue to impress. Tight and defined bass along with great midrange and detailed highs. The AntiCables have really created synergy in my system.

I am listening to a modern recording of "West Side Story" and the dynamics and punch are amazing. Last night due to a party below me I pulled out the Telarc recording of the 1812 Overture with the recorded canons. I was impressed with both the sound and excursion of the drivers. At one point I was afraid the woofer cone was coming my way but the speakers handled it well and the party quieted down.

I am glad I did not jump the gun and sell them or give them away. Maria and Tony are singing "Tonight" and I believe.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The MA RS6's are still in use. I am still surprised by their transformation. Much of the complaints I had that were attributed to the speakers such as cabinet or driver colorations were not from the speakers. Classical music is more enjoyable with the deeper bass. They now image better than I thought possible. Everything I have said negative about the speakers were based on AQ speaker cables. They deserve the Stereophile Class B rating.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    300B's would do wonders for your MA's.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    300B's would do wonders for your MA's.
    What 300B amp that doesn't cost an arm and a leg would be powerful enough to run the RS6 effectively? They aren't the most sensitive of speakers.

I take that back - they are 91dB - but still - most 300B amps don't go above 10W - unless I'm missing some.

I am happy with my S-300i. I will be sticking with that 300.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam View Post
    What 300B amp that doesn't cost an arm and a leg would be powerful enough to run the RS6 effectively? They aren't the most sensitive of speakers.

I take that back - they are 91dB - but still - most 300B amps don't go above 10W - unless I'm missing some.

Actually John Atkinson found they were about 89.5db.

The Monitor Audio Silver RS6's estimated voltage sensitivity was 89.5dB(B)/2.83V/m, which, if slightly below the specified 91dB, is still higher than average.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information