Thread: mixing ohms?

AR Newbie Registered Member

mixing ohms?

hi i have a marantz sr53oo reciever which is 90 watts per channel [ 6.1 ] and it says on the back speaker impandance for 6 - 16 ohms speakers but i have

psb stratus bronze [ 4 ohms ]
    psb c5i [ 4 ohms ]
    yhamaha souronds [ 8 ohms ]
    koss center suround [ 6 ohms ]

so my question is am i damaging any part of my system by mixing the impendance of the speakers and the reciever or did i buy the rong recevier for my bronzes or can i fix the problem by buying a sepret 4 ohm amp

matt

thanks in advance

That's putting a very tough load on your amp. I've got the Marantz SR-5200, my front speakers are 5 ohms and the rear are 8 ohms and it handles that absolutely fine, just gets kinda hot only when I play it VERY loud. You could try running those speakers, the worst that will happen is it will shut down and reset itself, deleting all your current settings. Now I do reccomend you get a seperate two channel amp for the front speakers (left and right). Look at an Audiosource Amp Three. Stable down to 2 ohms, tons of power, low distortion, and it's cheap. You can find a refurbished one for around $200, they might be selling them on Ubid still (where I got mine). You could also look at the Amp 1 and 2, they put out less power, but they are still stable down to 2 ohms they'll probably put out around 150 watts at 4 ohms while the amp three would put out about 300 at 4 ohms. Used ones go from $100-$200.

-Joey

3db
    Forum Regular

PSBs are generally quite efficient

Quote Originally Posted by mocwilson
    hi i have a marantz sr53oo reciever which is 90 watts per channel [ 6.1 ] and it says on the back speaker impandance for 6 - 16 ohms speakers but i have

psb stratus bronze [ 4 ohms ]
    psb c5i [ 4 ohms ]
    yhamaha souronds [ 8 ohms ]
    koss center suround [ 6 ohms ]

so my question is am i damaging any part of my system by mixing the impendance of the speakers and the reciever or did i buy the rong recevier for my bronzes or can i fix the problem by buying a sepret 4 ohm amp

matt

thanks in advance

It usually doesn't take much power to drive PSBs to a comfortably loud level. . If your receiver doesn't get overly hot and it doesn't smell even faintly like burning, I think that you would be OK. And make sure there's lots of airflow around the receiver.

thanks for the advice i was looking at the bryston 3bsst which i heard was good but i will diffinitly look into the audiosource amp as well.

thanks again

matt

i definitly dont smell any burning and the reciever dose get pritty worm but i wouldnt say hot, also i have made shure that thers lot of room for air.

thanks for repying

matt

Thread Information