Thread: Mdf

Question Mdf

What does the MDF enclosures do? Like whats the difference with and without them?
    JBL Rocks!!!

Medium Density Fibreboard (MDF)...

...is the current material of choice for making speaker enclousres. It's quite sturdy, stable and as acousticaly inert as any other substance of a comparable thickness, and moreso than many. And, most importantly, it's quite inexpensive, easy to work with and takes a veneer quite well so it can look likeany wood you wish.

Re

I agree with everything markw said. I've been making spkr cabs for nearly 40 years. The only other materials you have (for box type drivers) is rock or cement... and wood.

Rock and cement are a simply too hard to work with unless you have access to certain tools and have experience. They also result in very heavy cabinets.

Wood is generally avoided because it expands and contracts with humidity. However certain plywoods will work OK if you seal all internal joints with silicon. Plywoods with cherry or birch on the top layer make finishing easier, but you need to have some woodworking experience or else you're likely to make a mess of it... and since 4x8 sheets of the stuff is approaching $100 a sheet, you don't want to use it for your first cabinet.

MDF and other dense particle boards are available in 4x8, 2x4 and 4x4 sheets. They're still fairly inexpensive, and very easy to work with. You can finish them with whatever your imagination can think of, from formica, to leather, to veneer, whatever.
    You don't know... jack

Ok but those dont answer my question since I want to know is what difference does it make on sound with and without the MDF?
    JBL Rocks!!!

Forum Regular
    Your question is almost impossible to answer. MDF is the material used in the making of speaker enclosures. The only way to answer your question would be two take to identical speakers - in size and drive complimant, cabinet size, and crossover - one being made of another material, say plywood, and one being made from MDF, and then listen. If you could find a way to do this, well, then you would have your answer. Since speakers are design off the bat using MDF, well then, it is hard to tell, isn't it?
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

You don't have a heckuva lot of choice here, guy.

When you buy a speaker, you get whatever they made it with. If you're using the material of the enclosure to shop speakers, well, good luck.

Which speakers are you considering that aren't made of MDF?

Kursun
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcher84
    Ok but those dont answer my question since I want to know is what difference does it make on sound with and without the MDF?
    Unlike musical instruments a loudspeaker enclosure shouldn't contribute to the reproduced sound. The material should be acoustically dead. It shouldn't be heard. It shouldn't resonate or ring like metal. So what MDF doesn't do is more important than what it makes.

Thread Information