Forum Regular

McIntosh 240 with 6 ohm speakers?

I'm shopping for a pair of bookshelf speakers to use with my newly inherited MC240 tube amp, which has speaker terminals for 4, 8 or 16 ohms. The Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 are within my price range and have plenty of great reviews, so I'm seriously considering them. The Wharfedale's are rated at 6 Ohms.

Is it important that I find 4 or 8 ohm speakers to match the terminals on my MC240, regarding performance of speaker or amp?
    Do I run any risk of damaging the speakers or the amp with this combination?
    Would it be better to use the 4 ohm or 8 ohm terminals on the amp? or should I try both to determine my listening preference?

I've done some research on the web about this, and I've found a variety of opinions on the topic. Also seems to a difference between SS and tube amps regarding speaker loads on amps.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Exit 37
    I've done some research on the web about this, and I've found a variety of opinions on the topic. Also seems to a difference between SS and tube amps regarding speaker loads on amps.
    Where have you found opinions that it's anything unacceptable? The impedance number is a nominal rating...not an exact spec. You can use the output labeled 8 Ohms and run 6-Ohm speakers all day long.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    ...the 8 ohm output will handle your 6 ohm load no problem, that's why its there, to accomodate a load greater than 4...buy the Wharfedales and do me a favour, crank the hell out of 'em!!!

Forum Regular
    OK Thanks. I've read a few opinions that suggest that some performance could be sacrificed if they don't match. Also some say that a problem may develop with the amp after prolonged use at non-matching ratings. Also have read that there's some kind of difference with tube amps vs SS regarding they way speaker loads are handled...

So, I'm just trying to clarify. Thanks for that! I'll be ordering the speakers very soon...

cheers!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    What genres of music do you most frequently enjoy? What source? These factors will be important in divining the correct speaker...though the aformentioned Wharfedale makes nice kit...

Forum Regular
    This will be a 2nd system to include:
    McIntosh C20 preamp
    McIntosh MR-66 Tuner
    Technics turntable
    Marantz DR-6000 cd player/recorder

..so it's intended primarily to be my tube/analog/vinyl system. I listen almost everything except new country, rap, new 'emo' rock. I like a lot of classic jazz, but also newer instrumental jazz, rock, some hard rock, acoustic stuff, etc. Occasional classical. I'm a bass player, so I like the bottom end, but balanced.

The Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 has about as low a frequency response as you're going to find in a bookshelf speaker in this price range, so they seem a good start / entry level.

Thanks!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    That's a damn nice second system brotha...very, very nice.

I'm using a Mac 7205 multi with Martin Logans in may main...trying to capture a bit of that same magic you're looking for.

Good luck with the Wharfies and, since I'd been remiss in saying it, "welcome to the forums"...

Thread Information