Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Magnepan 1.6qr's + Pathos Classic One?

I'm going to be upgrading my MMG speakers to the 1.6qr's very soon -- and in another thread it was recommended that I upgrade my amp too.

I'm presently using a Musical Fidelity A3.2, and I'm looking at the Pathos Classic One to replace it.

Questions: Am I still going to need my subwoofer with this combo? And if so, I take it I can run the Tape Out line from the Classic One into my sub (it's powered)?

Or will I get enough bass out with this setup so that I can sell off my subwoofer?

Any other thoughts on this combination of amp and speakers?

This is strictly for 2-channel music listening, no HT stuff. The room is not large.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Nuff said
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

^^^ Yeah, I was pretty sure where you'd come down on this!

But the more I research amps, the more confused I get. I *know* that I'll see a big difference when I move to the 1.6qr's, but will the amp really make a noticeable difference?

Keep in mind that the MF A3.2 has plenty of juice, so that's not a problem for me now. A lot of what I've read on this site and in others is that once you have a decent quality amp, it's pretty much a waste of money to go higher (or at the very least, seriously diminishing returns).

Assuming I don't have money to burn (and I don't), is it really worth spending another $1.5k+ for the Classic One?

Is it worth it? Short answere: Yes!

Is there a huge difference between the 5000$ Krell FPB series and my 13000$ Sphinx amp? Yes! Is it twice as good? Maybe! Those who say that the differences are small and that it doesnt matter either never heard it or cant afford it. Simple as that :-)

The Maggie, eventough the first step towards music is damn picky on its sources and placment etc... The Pathos sounds better then the Krell KSA 150, KSA250, Ampzilla 2000 and easily better then the MF.

Enjoy the trip :-)

PS: Use the balanced inputs on it and ditch the sub.

Did i mention i still own the Pathos ;-)
    Last edited by Florian; 12-26-2005 at 02:58 PM.

MMG to MG 1.6QR

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    I'm going to be upgrading my MMG speakers to the 1.6qr's very soon -- and in another thread it was recommended that I upgrade my amp too. ....
    There is a huge improvement to be had by moving to the MG 1.6 -- that was my own upgrade path too. Much more bass at high sound levels, better resolution, smoother, and better tonal balance than MMG.

Whereas a sub is pretty much essential with the MMGs, it is not with the MG 1.6's. With the MMGs, a sub with an 80Hz or higher crossover compensates for the limited "loudness" potential. However with the MG 1.6's this 'loudness' role is irrelevant (at reasonable levels in most rooms); instead the sub merely provides deeper bass extension.

I'm personally familiar with the MF A3.2, but it ought to have sufficient power, (again, at reasonable levels in most rooms). Why as the Pathos recommended? Because it is a tube hybrid? I'm not personally familiar with it either, but it wouldn't be high on my what-to-try list. My Bel Canto eVo2i is great but well above $1.5k. If that is you budget limit, stick with the MF unless you are willing to buy used.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Why as the Pathos recommended? Because it is a tube hybrid? I'm not personally familiar with it either, but it wouldn't be high on my what-to-try list.
    The Pathos are the best match i found for the Maggies, and you should try it. It will show you a new side of the Maggies that you havent heard before

Opps! correction

I'm personally familiar with the MF A3.2, but it ought to have sufficient power, (again, at reasonable levels in most rooms). Why as the Pathos recommended? Because it is a tube hybrid? ...
    I meant to say not familiar with the MF A2.3.

A tube front end is perhaps not a bad thing. If I were an equipment swapper -- I'm not -- would be looking at a tube preamp plus a 'digital' power amp. Maybe a ModWright SWL 9.0SE tube preamp ($2200), plus a Bel Canto e300 ICEpower-base amp, ($1600). Or a slightly lower price point, a Val Alstine Transendence 8 tube preamp, ($approx. 1500?), plus a DIYCable UCD-400 amp, (approx. $875, kit)
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 12-26-2005 at 04:08 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Then you haven't tried any of the new Digital Hybrids....

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    The Pathos are the best match i found for the Maggies, and you should try it. It will show you a new side of the Maggies that you havent heard before
    I would much rather have one of these than anything from Pathos. I did get to hear the bigger pathos driving some large Vandersteens, and the sound was very un-involving. The amps do look good, but looks can not be equated with performance.

The MF gear, of which I presently own a A3cr, is very good kit. While I found it's superbly extended top end a bit much for my 3.6r's and the true ribbon tweeter, the tonal caracteristics (about 1db up at 20k) of this amp is talor made for the 1.6qr's more softer top end.

If I was this person I would first spend on a set of Mye stands, and keep the MF amp.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

PS: Use the balanced inputs on it and ditch the sub.
    Yes, if I go with that amp I'm going to pick up the Benchmark DAC1, which has balanced analog outs. My whole setup then would be:

Computer -> Squeezebox 2 -> Benchmark DAC1 -> Classic One -> 1.6qr

Very simple and elegant. I cannot, for the life of me, imagine why I would ever "need" a better setup than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    If I was this person I would first spend on a set of Mye stands, and keep the MF amp.
    I'm going to try the speakers with the MF first, and see if I can get a Classic One to audition in my home to see what the difference is.

You can't go wrong that way

I'm going to try the speakers with the MF first, and see if I can get a Classic One to audition in my home to see what the difference is.
    In the end it comes down to your own preference.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Oh BTW, I just ordered the stands - thanks for the tip. I was thinking of building my own, but have neither the time nor the proper tools at this point in my life.

Well i dont know why Geof. doesnt recommend the Pathos, afterall he hasnt heard them on Maggies which in this case makes the statement kinda pointless, no offense. The Pathos is a very good match with the Maggies and once you audition it you will hear the big difference. Trust me, but i will let your ears decide :-)

Since noone mentioned this so far, there is a Classic One V1 and V2. The V2 has the display for the volume control and is more powerfull. The V1 is more then enough to power the 1.6 and even drives the 3.6 to loud levels with no problem. The V2 drives the 3.6 no problem, and of course the 1.6.

I would much prefer a good source, cables and amps than a stand. My friend here runs his 20's on the normal feet also, like most do. It does help, yes. But dont fall into those upgrade traps when people change the socks, feet and other small crap. Good equipment comes first, since they will show it off.

It's just a hobby
    I would much prefer a good source, cables and amps than a stand. My friend here runs his 20's on the normal feet also, like most do. It does help, yes.
    Oh boy...recommending a new source, cable and amps instead of a simple stand...maggies stand a couple of centimeters from the floor on their stock feet, don't they? Good stands used judiciously will get help get the best out the speakers by banishing all those unwanted floor reflections.

As for the sub, the 1.6R has a resonance peak at 70Hz after which the bass trails off rather rapidly, so a well integrated subwoofer will do wonders.
    Last edited by theaudiohobby; 12-27-2005 at 03:05 AM.
    It's a listening test, you do not need to see it to listen to it!

Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    Oh boy...recommending a new source, cable and amps instead of a simple stand...maggies stand a couple of centimeters from the floor on their stock feet, don't they? Good stands used judiciously will get help get the best out the speakers by banishing all those unwanted floor reflections.
    Oh boy !

Talking without knowledge. First of the stand is not there for reflections, 10cm higher wont do **** for the reflections. It is there to hold them more steady which improves bass responce a bit, i have build them myself and the bass wing.

Second of all, dont read out of context. He should focus more on the really important stuff first, then on the little tweaks.

It's just a hobby
    Oh boy !

Talking without knowledge. First of the stand is not there for reflections, 10cm higher wont do **** for the reflections.
    Point taken, a 10 cm is too short to drastically reduce floor reflections.
    Second of all, dont read out of context. He should focus more on the really important stuff first, then on the little tweaks.
    A good stand (>20cm) should be considered as absolutely necessity to get the best out of these pair of speakers and it is not to be confused with tweaks such as sock removal, fuse upgrade etc.
    Last edited by theaudiohobby; 12-27-2005 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Rephrasing.

Question Mye stands?

Geoff, how would you describe the benefits of the Mye stands?

Im going to have to qualify this

Geoff, how would you describe the benefits of the Mye stands?
    As I've never heard the 1.6qr's with the stands. God forbid I recommend something I've only heard on the 3.6's, or worse, an amp that didn't impress me with a different set of speaker.

Here's a review from an Audioasylum member;

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/spe...ges/85641.html
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Thanks, Geoffcin

As I've never heard the 1.6qr's with the stands. God forbid I recommend something I've only heard on the 3.6's, or worse, an amp that didn't impress me with a different set of speaker.

The review was helpful. I will check out the Mye's further, I think.

You guys are making me salivate for all this great equipment.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

It's just a hobby
    The review was helpful. I will check out the Mye's further, I think.
    I suggest you do, for not a lot of money the extra stability it provides (if firmly coupled to the ground) will improve definition and clarity (not just in the bass) as well as provide extra bass kick.

It's just a hobby
    I'm going to be upgrading my MMG speakers to the 1.6qr's very soon -- and in another thread it was recommended that I upgrade my amp too.

I'm presently using a Musical Fidelity A3.2, and I'm looking at the Pathos Classic One to replace it.

Questions: Am I still going to need my subwoofer with this combo? And if so, I take it I can run the Tape Out line from the Classic One into my sub (it's powered)?

Or will I get enough bass out with this setup so that I can sell off my subwoofer?
    The tape-out is a VERY bad option as your signal level is constant (you already knew that) and the subwoofer will overpower the speakers at low levels which is not good, if your sub has speaker level inputs, use those instead, better still is to use HF crossover to cross from the maggie to the sub. Bass is the achilles hill of this little gem amplifier, the Pathos Classic One, it is a bit soft and a bit less clearly defined in the bass, a subwoofer will help matters tremendously.

Its quite a big difference to recommend a stand or a ampflifier you heard on a speaker not even remotly on a similar speaker.

Not as much as you think

Its quite a big difference to recommend a stand or a ampflifier you heard on a speaker not even remotly on a similar speaker.
    I bought my present amp, the PS Audio HCA-2 on recommendation of someone who has vastly different speakers. I bought it sight unseen, and unheard. It was the absolute RIGHT move too. Nothing I've heard has sounded as good, thak god I listend to his advice.

It didn't hurt that Stereophile had given it a class "A" rating either.....
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

I am suprised you didnt buy the B&W then too, oh well. I never buy something without auditioning it personally in my own system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information